Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
379 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: The "It's Time For Another Math Trade" Math Trade - RESULTS ARE NOW OFFICIAL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The "It's Time For Another Math Trade" Math Trade - Discussion Thread
SleightOfHand wrote:
huber wrote:
(Though if you're planning to ship via USPS, there's no reason not to include AK/HI.)

x2. Flat rate is flat rate is flat rate.

While your statement is true, I find that few games fit nicely in a flat rate box, and many of those which do leave little or no room for inadequate packing material to protect the contents.

To me, squeezing a game into a flat-rate box that barely holds it with no padding to protect the contents is poor form. Perhaps that's just me, but I like to make some effort to find a box that allows me to add at least some protection to the game I'm shipping - even if it means that it costs me a little more in shipping.

Now all of that being said, I do support shipping to AK and HI. As you also point out, it's really not that much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jack, and generally support shipping to HI and AK. However, I get a sweet deal corporately via UPS that allows me to ship a nicely padded box almost anywhere in continental US for about $6-8. It costs a lot more than that to ship to HI and AK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:
huber wrote:
(Though if you're planning to ship via USPS, there's no reason not to include AK/HI.)

And I get tired of hearing about how shipping to Hawaii is "much more expensive" than shipping to the continental US, too. Two math trades ago I landed a copy of Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and I recently traded for a copy of Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie; even though they're big, heavy boxes, shipping came to $15 and change for each one - that's ONE DOLLAR more than the price for USPS's biggest flat rate box.

Welcome to the world of "first $10" my friend. We here in Canada have had to tolerate it for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
SleightOfHand wrote:
huber wrote:

And I get tired of hearing about how shipping to Hawaii is "much more expensive" than shipping to the continental US, too. Two math trades ago I landed a copy of Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and I recently traded for a copy of Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie; even though they're big, heavy boxes, shipping came to $15 and change for each one - that's ONE DOLLAR more than the price for USPS's biggest flat rate box.

Welcome to the world of "first $10" my friend. We here in Canada have had to tolerate it for years.

I just moved from Canada; I know alllll about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I offer free shipping to Canada when I participate in a MT. It does cost a little more, but I figure the additional wants from my friends in Canada off sets the additional cost. On the other hand I don't want on any game that requires I pay any shipping. If I'm shipping free, then I'm not gonna pay to have a game shipped to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a distant cousin may be allowed to comment?

I always offer free postage worldwide for any number of reasons:
- The thrill of perusing a huge list of goodies,
- The pleasure in trying to balance wants and offers,
- The anticipation whilst awaiting results,
- The joy of a succesful trade.

This, to me, is the enjoyment in participating in a Math Trade, whether UK, Europe or worldwide. I'm not rich any more than any other participant, but postage costs should never be the determining factor of a trading debate. If I spend 5 Pounds on the weekly lottery (or 20+ in a bar), I can easily spend that on a game exchange which gives me a wanted game at the end of the day.

I'm not saying everyone should be obliged to offer free postage or subsidised postage anywhere, but I would say that people should have some perspective on the whole argument. 5, 10 or 15 Pounds, bucks, Euros or whatever are minor irritants in the greater scheme of things and I can't believe that people would willingly write off possible trades for the sake of a few bucks.

A lot of the games on this Trade are new or in shrink. If you would pay $40 plus in the shops for one of these, why groan about a $15 postage charge to get that very same game? If I trade in this MT I will be out of pocket as no-one offers free postage worldwide here except for the smallest items, so I'll be picking up 2 postage charges. Worth it? I reckon so, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it!

This is our hobby, not our life. Don't get them the wrong way round please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

I would view this logic the other way. If paying this postage was a needed part of my life, I'd pay it without hesitation. Given that it is merely my hobby, I need to work harder to justify it....

edit: That said, my shipping policy is more on the liberal side of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joewyka wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

I would view this logic the other way. If paying this postage was a needed part of my life, I'd pay it without hesitation. Given that it is merely my hobby, I need to work harder to justify it....

edit: That said, my shipping policy is more on the liberal side of things.

Don't disagree with that at all. Maybe it's mindset that overrides the wanting to do something against the need to do something.

Personal call every time on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas lockard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question. This is my first math trade and I was planning on putting to different items on the list. One of them is a rather pricey oop game and the other is cheap and common. Can I designate what I am willing to trade for either? I don't want to end up getting an old copy of tichu for the "pricey" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The want list you create for each game is unique. In a math trade, games only trade for specific wants assigned to that game. So the only way you would get an old copy of Tichu for your pricey OOP game is if you put Tichu on that specific game's want list. Of course, you would never do that, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me. I need to put my old copy of Tichu up...

I kid.

Welcome, Lucas, and have fun. If I might make a couple of recommendations:

1. And this may seem obvious, but it took me several math trades to really get it: don't put anything on your want list that you don't actually really want. Chances are you'll get it. Ie. Only put stuff you want on the list. If it doesn't trade there will be another trade coming along shortly. I've gotten much pickier over time and have much more fun.

2. It's ok to submit a blank list if you don't see anything you want.

3. I'd consider not putting your pricey OOP game up in your first math trade. It's not brain science, but it can be tricky and overwhelming. Even experienced math traders sometimes end up putting an item on their list by accident. Try it with a game that doesn't mean so much to you first. I'd hate for you to get burned on your first math trade and not come back.

Have fun and I hope to see you become a regular trader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good advice. On my first math trade I wanted to get my sea legs. So what I did was posted two middle of the road wargames I had had on my trade list for a while. Basically they were two games popular enough to get noticed but nothing to big to where I might be disappointed if I made an error in judgment on my first math trade. The result was I got two really nice trades and when the next big math trade came along I was more comfortable listing a more valuable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas lockard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and advice. Very, very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1 more day to go and we're almost at 1500 items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good tips here as I'm new to the MT thing too.
Is it better to have lots of options that you want to trade an item for, or less to keep it more focused on the bigger wants?
I'm not putting things on my list I don't want but I'm thinking I might want to have less options to get the "want really bad" items.
My thinking was the more options I have as wants the more trade that could be made and the more likely I would be to get trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Muskegon
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good rule of thumb is to expect to trade for the item you want the least. Opening your wants means you will have a better chance trading but more than likely you will get the lesser wanted items.

If you are targeting specific games keep your want list low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you keep your wants more focussed, odds are you will most likely end up with fewer trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Some good tips here as I'm new to the MT thing too.
Is it better to have lots of options that you want to trade an item for, or less to keep it more focused on the bigger wants?
I'm not putting things on my list I don't want but I'm thinking I might want to have less options to get the "want really bad" items.
My thinking was the more options I have as wants the more trade that could be made and the more likely I would be to get trades.

There is no single answer to this. A lot of this can depend on an item's trade value. For example a first edition Twilight Struggle isn't going to have as much trade value as a Deluxe Edition. You'll find a lot of first edition copies up for trade. Thus for that you might throw a wide net as you aren't going to grab a ton of interest. On the flip side if you have a copy of the Deluxe Edition of Twilight Struggle you can likely afford to be a lot more picky knowing that there's going to be a lot of interest in it.

In the end a good rule of thumb might be the old gambling adage that says don't gamble with more than you can afford to lose. In this case don't ask for something that you honestly might be disappointed in if you were to get that in exchange for the game you're trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the algorithm attempts to maximize the number of users trading, then you benefit slightly from having short want lists. If there are only a few things you really want, it may be optimal to only put those things on your list, instead of padding the list out with things you think are "ok".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. How about another one?

After setting up duplicate protection, it is easy and makes sense. But is there a way to prioritize one duplicate entry over the others?

For example; Let's take all the Ticket to Rides that are posted, create a dummy and add them to the dummy. Then assign the items I want to trade to the dummy. Now, what if one of the TtRs is a specific version or has sweeteners that would make it more of a want to me than the others. Is there a way to tell the system that I like one more than the others, or do I just hope? I could pull it out from the group but then risks getting duplicates.

From what I have read of the OLWLG and TradeMaximizer they get weighted automatically based on several factors but that may not mach the way I would order them and priorities are only for organization in the OLWLG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot prioritize items within a dummy list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
You cannot prioritize items within a dummy list.
That is what I figured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Less than 2 hours to get any final game submissions in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We are now open for wantlist submissions. There will be no extensions past Saturday's deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats... accidentally put Wasabi (item #1937) as sealed instead of "like new" (it's unpunched)... I'll submit a blank want list for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |