France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to try this game on a prototype in the Monde du jeu in Paris. For those who weren't there, let me try to explain what this game is about:

Everyone gets a monster and will try to win by proving he is the most terrible. This can be done in two ways:
- destroying the city by getting 20 devastation points (victory points)
- killing all other monsters.

Everyone gets a stand-up cardboard miniature with an image of his monster and another small cardboard board with 2 dials, one for life points, and one for victory points.

There is a small board containing two spaces: one is tokyo, the other is tokyo bay. Tokyo bay is only used in 5-6 players games, which wasn't the case of the games I played.

And then there are the dices. You start with 6 dices, each one with 6 different sides: 1, 2, 3, a heart (healing), a ligntning bolt (energy) and a claw (attack).

You also have a pack of cards, each one with an energy cost, giving your monster advantages, either as an attack (single use), or as a power (permanent).

You also have beads (in our prototype, we used Space Alert glass energy green beads) for energy.

That's it for the components.

The game is simple. One of the monsters will become the king of tokyo. This means several things.
The king of Tokyo, when attacking attacks every other monster simultaneously.
Every other monster, when attacking will always attack the king of tokyo.
The king of tokyo doesn't show fear: he can never heal himself.
When becoming king of tokyo, the player gains 1 victory point, and again 2 victory points every time his turn comes back.
When he is attacked, the king of tokyo has always the choice to step down. Then the monster who attacked him will become king of tokyo instead.

So becoming king of tokyo is both rewarding (2 VP every turn) and dangerous (he is attacked by all and cannot heal himself).

How does a game turn works ?
You roll 6 dice. Then twice, you get to reroll as many dice as you want. There is no restriction on the dice you want to reroll. You can even reroll a dice that you decide to keep at first.
After that you see what you get:

If you have 3 or more identical numbers, you will get victory points. As much as the value of the number if you have 3, and 1 more for every additional dice.
So if you have 5 twos, you will get 2 (for the first 3 dices) + 2 (for the 2 additional dices) = 4 victory points.

For every heart side, you can heal one life point (with a maximum of 10).
For every lightning bolt, you get 1 energy.
For every claw, you attack and deal a damage point.

Additionaly, if you have enough energy, you can buy a card giving you a special action or a power.
There are always 3 available cards, face up. When one is bought, another one is placed to replace it.

That's it.

This system is very simple, very fast but also gives many possible strategies.
You can try to accumulate energy to buy power cards and become more powerful.
You can play defensively and heal yourself as much as you can.
You can be aggressive and attack as much as you can.
You can try to get victory points with your dices.
You can try to get victory points by staying king of tokyo as long as possible.

My opinion ? I liked it quite a bit. It was not for me a great game, a game that after one play made me think "Please, let me play again and again right now, as long as I can !!!" (that was 7 wonders), but more a good game that made me think "This was nice. I wouldn't mind playing it another time".

I hope this presentation was clear. If you have questions or need clarifications, please ask and I'll try to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it compare to Roll Through The Ages? It sounds like a lighter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, maybe it is slightly lighter, but more importantly, if the core of the game is the same for both (roll and reroll dices), the feeling for both games is very different.

RTTA is more about calculating a way to success, with different paths and choices which can give you victory points. You need to find the right combination of commerce, population augmentation, choose the right technology to buy, the right wonders to build, do lots of subtle choices.
So it feels like a EURO game, an optimisation game, where you try to find the best way to success.

In King of Tokyo, the strategic choices are much more drastic: to be agressive or defensive, to try to become King or stay at the outside, to try to improve powers or rush to victory, to try to eliminate all players or accumulate victory points. It feels more like a fighting game, an ameritrash game, where Tokyo is like a big arena where everyone is fighting for domination. So maybe that's why it feels more fun and light.

I'd say that both games, based on the same core system, are good simplified adaptations of very different themes: civilization for the first and fighting game for the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the role of the board? It seems like the King of Tokyo could be designated by a token, like the King in Citadels.

Any mention of price?

Thanks for your review. You've made this a Day 1 purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only board is only made to put the monster which is King of Tokyo. For 5+ players, you also use another place for the King of Tokyo Bay.

I guess a token could have been used instead, but maybe Iello thought it would be visually better.
It's probably thematicaly better to put the monster on the middle of the board, defying the others to attack him, and a target to all the other monsters, than just giving a token to the player who controls it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

it's the game of the year for me,it's very addictive,and very clever.

some photos of the french prototype from Iello's facebook:

and the board:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the write-up. Quick question; do the different monsters have different abilities or are they simply a visual representation of the player and nothing more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
How does it compare to Roll Through The Ages? It sounds like a lighter game.

Now that I played it myself I can say that it's indeed a bit lighter than RTtA but wow, it's also tons more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this available yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nord
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave it a try in Essen and all of us loved. It's a mean little game, with easy to grasp rules.

Sadly it is not available yet. Supposedly it should be on the shelves early next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Thanks for the write-up. Quick question; do the different monsters have different abilities or are they simply a visual representation of the player and nothing more?

they're just a visual representation (or at least, based on the Essen demo that's the case), the special abilities all come from the cards you buy with energy.

I would definitely have bought this there if it had been available at the fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
truekid wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:

they're just a visual representation (or at least, based on the Essen demo that's the case), the special abilities all come from the cards you buy with energy.

I would definitely have bought this there if it had been available at the fair.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Looks really interesting and will definitely be keeping an eye on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.