United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Not with a bang but a whimper.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Me and my fairly extensive game collection are moving to Reedham, Norfolk, UK in around 8 weeks time. I currently live in California with lots of gaming buddies and a great FLGS! (Black Diamond Games, Concord) I am from Kent but I am moving to stay with family for a bit and will probably set up in or around Norwich.

My Wife (a keen but not avid Board Gamer) is coming too and we hope to meet some gamers and figure out where we can buy even more games!

I am a little frigtened that Gamers and Games may be in short supply, can anyone reassure me? cry

Many thanks!

Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought: you are doomed.
Second thought: Cambridge isn't very far.

But actually it seems there is a proper games shop in Norwich: The Games Room, and there is a games group which has a blog: http://norwichboardgamers.blogspot.com/
I think you are in luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a beautiful part of the country, but it's also quite remote (for England). You may find you need to shop on-line for games, and I wouldn't bank on finding many gamers very close to you (there must be some in Norwich...) Good luck !

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

Congratualtions on moving to Norwich (or close enough).Tony is right (apart from the doomed bit). You and your wife will be welcomed with open arms by the Norwich Board Gamers. We meet every Tuesday night in the Ribs of Beef pub in Norwich - start at 7.30pm until 11pm or everyone gives up and goes home. Often someone from the club will be hosting games other evenings or at the weekends as well.

And as mentioned there is the Games Room should you feel the need to feed your game buying addiction.

Let me know if you have any other queries about games in Norwich or the area in general.

I look forward to seeing you in November.

Matt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin

You're in luck! There'es a club called NoBoG that meets on Tuesdays in Norwich (don't know how far that is from Reedham); you'll find a post from one of them further down this page. There's also a FLGS in Norwich called the Games Room, address 29a Elm Hill, tel. 01603 628140. Sadly they have yet to stock a game that I produce, but there you go.

Hope your relocation from the States goes smoothly.

Miaow!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your responces, I am struggling with the fact that my game collection will be arriving 10 - 12 weeks behind me! I will certainly track down the game store in Norwich and Matt I will reach out to you when I am sorted out, I found the website of the Norwich Board Gamers and I like all the game you listed as having played.. much relief!

Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I am especially excited by the Rib of Beef pub, it looks great and I have not had a decent pint in nearly 3 years!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While there are some east anglians on this thread, could someone tell me if Linguards Games still has a shop in Norwich and/or Cambridge.

The shop in Colchester has closed and I would hate to think that their other stores have closed too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khards wrote:
While there are some east anglians on this thread, could someone tell me if Linguards Games still has a shop in Norwich and/or Cambridge.

The shop in Colchester has closed and I would hate to think that their other stores have closed too.
Last time I looked, Linguards was there. Only ever shopped there a few times myself.

Kevin, Norwich is a great little city and Reedham is a very nice village (good pub too!). I don't generally make it to the Ribs on a Tuesday due to other commitments, but I'm sure our gaming paths will cross soon enough!

(P.S. You're not THE Kevin Smith are you?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khards wrote:

Lingards Games in Norwich shut down about three months ago. Not sure about the Cambridge shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevinsmith1212 wrote:
Thank you all for your responces, I am struggling with the fact that my game collection will be arriving 10 - 12 weeks behind me! I will certainly track down the game store in Norwich and Matt I will reach out to you when I am sorted out, I found the website of the Norwich Board Gamers and I like all the game you listed as having played.. much relief!

Kevin.
Glad the blog didn't put you off. I don't update it as much as I should, but it's usually just my inane ramblings, insults and what I had to drink while playing games. Others contribute occasionally as well.

Glad you like the games we've played. It's not all about euros, but we're limited by time and the chosen games are usually determined on the night by the number of players that turn up and what we've brought along. I had a snoop around your profile and like the collection - nice bit of variety there. Looking forward to meeting you.

Oh and the Ribs is pretty good. 10 ales on tap and a couple of decent lagers to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:
khards wrote:

Lingards Games in Norwich shut down about three months ago. Not sure about the Cambridge shop.
Well, that answers that. Shows how much attention I pay to my local high street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Otterdance wrote:
khards wrote:

Well, that answers that. Shows how much attention I pay to my local high street.
It didn't stock Wallace games so might as well have been a sewing shop to you. Not that I'd bought anything from them for years. I did buy Warhammer Rouge Trader from them in 1990, so it's sad to see them completely leave the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Otterdance wrote:
khards wrote:

It didn't stock Wallace games so might as well have been a sewing shop to you. Not that I'd bought anything from them for years. I did buy Warhammer Rouge Trader from them in 1990, so it's sad to see them completely leave the city.
I think the last this I bought there was Doom: The Boardgame. Since it was on the shelf.

Please tell me the sewing shop is still there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb

Aha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually launched a Radio Norwich AFTER Alan Partridge was aired. It's a pop based commercial radio station. There is a BBC Radio Norfolk station, which is much more like the Radio Norwich in the series, and mostly for the farmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lingards Cambridge closed down even longer ago. Andrew Lingard used to constantly moan about the ravages of the Internet, don't know if that's why they finally shut up shop. Another shop has opened up in Colchester though, called Tozo Toys & Hobbies. There's also Ace Comics, and in Cambridge of course you've got Inner Sanctum Collectibles in Homerton St.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
khards wrote:

Last time I looked, Linguards was there. Only ever shopped there a few times myself.

Kevin, Norwich is a great little city and Reedham is a very nice village (good pub too!). I don't generally make it to the Ribs on a Tuesday due to other commitments, but I'm sure our gaming paths will cross soon enough!

(P.S. You're not THE Kevin Smith are you?)
I am looking forward to meeting you too, sadly no, I am not THE Kevin Smith, I am allowed to travel on planes! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigCat97 wrote:
Lingards Cambridge closed down even longer ago. Andrew Lingard used to constantly moan about the ravages of the Internet, don't know if that's why they finally shut up shop. Another shop has opened up in Colchester though, called Tozo Toys & Hobbies. There's also Ace Comics, and in Cambridge of course you've got Inner Sanctum Collectibles in Homerton St.
I did try to give the shop in Colchester some of my business when they actually had any interest in selling games, but they never bloody stocked anything for at least the last year of its life, apart from Killer Bunnies, Carcassonne and Settlers! (And loud children playing assorted CCGs, but I don't believe they were stock, as such). I tried asking about titles before, and was told that they could order them in, but at full retail, and with a delay of 10-14 days.

So, I can go to a "F"LGS, not browse physical product, pay lots, wait ages.

Or I can use the Internet, not browse physical product, pay slightly less, wait less.

I can't imagine why they closed...

I wasn't aware Tozo had anything other than kids' toys, ditto Ace Comics and CCGs / branded tie-ins, maybe I need a better look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:
I did buy Warhammer Rouge Trader from them in 1990
Games Workshop are still puzzled to this day as to why this economic simulation based on the cosmetics industry failed so miserably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hards
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Tozo is just toys, you might get a Bob the Builder themed snakes and ladders. Ace comics has a tiny selection of games but haven't had a re-stock for a very long time.

Shame about Linguards, long running family firm. I remember when I was one of the loud kids , getting into MTG; Mr Linguard (Senior, Andrew's father) sent one of the staff out to get a big box of ice lollies from the nearby supermarket for us all.

Linguards supported my MTG addiction and it was there where I bought my copy of Settlers. And although I have to say I do most of my game purchases online now I always picked up something from the shelves when I was in Colchester just to give a bit of support.

Sad day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the demise of Lingard's Games the Colchester Board Games Club is going strong, meeting the 2nd Friday each month. It's a long way from Reedham, Norfolk, but then most places are. And we do sometimes game from 7PM until 3AM so it's more like a half day for the nocturnal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that despite what you may read above, Norwich is crammed full of gamers! I've never been to an evening meet at the Ribs (at least not for gaming...) but there are several groups of us who meet regularly on an ad hoc basis, and of course there's the long-established Coltishall Cowards Wargames Club, based in Wroxham, which meets every Friday and plays everything including board games. You want Arkham Horror, we got it. [/shameless plug] Lots of roleplaying groups too. Really, if you look around you won't be disappointed.

Yep, very sadly Lingards in Norwich closed a few months ago and the Cambridge branch closed a long time before that. I didn't know that the Colchester branch had closed though. That's very disappointing because it's where I used to buy my 1st edition AD&D stuff after school in the early 80's. I remember what a big event it was when the bi-monthly White Dwarf hit the shelves. But yes, last time I went in there it was Killer Bunnies or Killer Bunnies.

The Games Room in Norwich is a good place, but there's no room for playing on the premises. I submitted an FLGS article to Knights of the Dinner Table about it a couple of years back, which was published.

And if you like your beer, you'll like Reedham. Sadly the Railway Tavern is gone (oh the memories) but the Lord Nelson and the Ferry Inn are excellent.

Do please feel free to pm, and come and see us at the club:

www.coltishallcowards.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When reading your post the Halleluiah Chorus started in my head! For the time being I need to focus on the move back to the UK, lot of TO DO’s but I will most certainly reach out very soon!

I am looking forward to playing at the Ribs of Beef and coming along to the Coltishall Cowards!

Many thanks everyone!

Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls