GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,684 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

51st State» Forums » Rules

Subject: 51st State – Examples of game system, part 5 [Break free!] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In 51st State there are four different factions available for players. Every faction has its own Contact Cards which are used to bring cards into the game. These cards differ and this difference is very important at the beginning of the game – Mutants are weak at Deals, and Merchants are weak at Building. Players have to work very hard to get rid of this starting disadvantages, they need to develop theirs State so it can omit faction’s disadvantages. The faster you do it, the better.

What factions you find in 51st State and how they differ?

Mutants

They are very strong at attack. They produce one Gun token in every turn and paying this token on red contact card, they can Invade any card in the game. Their red contact card (Invasion) has a Range 3. This is the furthest Distance in the game. No other faction can do it. This is the strong side of Mutants. Furthest cards (Distance 3) are the most valuable. And they can not hide from Mutants. No one can. Mutants attack any card.

On the other hand, Mutants blue contact card is weak. Although it needs only 1 Fuel token to use it (that is good!), but it can sign a Deal only with closest cards (Distance 1). Only locations very close to Mutants are so scared of them that they agree to work with them and sign a Deal. There is no way Mutants can sign a Deal with a good card. They need to change it as soon as possible.

Merchants

They are strong with Deals. They produce one Fuel token in every turn. They are the only one faction in the game that can sign a Deal with any card – theirs Caravan has Range 3. They pay one Fuel and can go everywhere to sign a Deal. They are Merchants. They sign a Deals. With anybody.

Gangers working for Merchants are quite good, they are cheap (only one Gun token) and have avarage Range. No problem with this. The problem is with Building…

As you see, they need to pay two Screw tokens to build Route and connect with Location. They don’t have 2 Screw tokens! Mutants can Invade someone and quite easy get many Screw tokens. Merchants…? They need to work very hard to sign a few deals and find solution of this problem.

Appalachians

Their strongest side is Building. Mutants? Need to get two Screw tokens. Merchants? Need to get two Screw tokens. Appalachians don’t have this problem. They produce one Brick every turn and they rebuild buildings. They just discard a card from hand (which in story of the game represents that they found some old ruins) and pay one Brick to put into a game a Location (in story of the game they build Location from this – just – founded ruins).

At the beginning of the game they grow very fast. No other faction can build so easily. But finally they run out of cards. They build easily, but have to pay with cards and at some moment of the game, it hurts. No cards in hand. No options. No possibilities. No choices.

They are average with Invasion (cheap and quite good) and very poor with Deals – they don’t have Fuel tokens at the beginning so they need to find a way to get them.

New York

Tricky faction. They get one Screw token every turn. They can use it to put card as a Location. Piece of cake, but… New Yorkers build Rails. It goes slow. It takes time. It has low Range.

New Yorkers grey contact card has a Range 1. They can put Location into the game easily, but only the closest one. Only those with Distance 1. The others Locations? No way. NJ can not put any other card as Location. This is their biggest weakness and the biggest strength. They build very easily, but only the closest Locations.

New Yorkers Police (red card) is cheap and easy to use, Expedition (blue card) is expensive as a hell, and they have huge problem with signing Deals.

These are four factions of 51st State. They differ. They make you play different at the beginning. And you have to break free.

Use you advantages, omit disadvantages and develop your state. As soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume range is the topic of another post eh?

Man, I LOVE these articles! Keep them coming!! I'm really hoping to get a hold of a copy of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards have an arrow with a number in it.

I assume that is the range.

These previews have really sold me on the game. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this game looks very very interesting and almost like a mustbuy ,so please make sure that we get clear rules...very clear rules..very very clear rules...

i think it´s time for me to give stronghold a new chance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Petrich
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebenerwerbsbauer wrote:
this game looks very very interesting and almost like a mustbuy ,so please make sure that we get clear rules...very clear rules..very very clear rules...

and that you take enough 51st State boxes with you to the Essen exhibition - your stock has to last until Saturday, as I will have to work on Thursday and Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between this, and Stronghold:Undead... I think I'm gonna have a Portal-gasm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a bit confused by the overall flow, what do you do on your turn?

Loving these articles, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Martín
Spain
flag msg tools
I think I'll side with the merchants ...for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only game on my "gotta have" list. It looks and sounds totally wicked! (That's a good thing.)

Could you tell us how many cards there are (not counting these 4 setup cards for each faction)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your support!

According to questions:
- there are 109 card in the box,
- game flow: draft phase, production phase, action phase. I will describe it right after weekend,
- we spent few months writing and editing rulebook. I strongly believe it is much better than stronghold rulebook,
- yes, Distance of the card is the number in the arrow. Distances vary from 1 to 3 in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
Between this, and Stronghold:Undead... I think I'm gonna have a Portal-gasm!

No kidding!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Domick
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
- we spent few months writing and editing rulebook. I strongly believe it is much better than stronghold rulebook,

Why don't you upload the rules to the files section before sending them to the printer? That way, you'd have quite a lot of people willing to proofread them and you could identify sections that might need a little rework.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
dmn1414 wrote:
trzewik wrote:

Why don't you upload the rules to the files section before sending them to the printer? That way, you'd have quite a lot of people willing to proofread them and you could identify sections that might need a little rework.

Just a thought.

Seriously! looked what happened for the rules in Thunderstone. They jumped from indecipherable to unmistakable (v1 to v1.4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmn1414 wrote:
trzewik wrote:

Just a thought.

a very very very very good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good idea.
It is too late to make it this year, but for our next game we definitely should do this. Thanks for advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.