GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,617 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Polis: a brief review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Pellitteri
Italy
Rome
ROMA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: Polis is a Print&Play game, so I built it with simple materials and pieces from other games. It's possible to play Polis with 100 wooden cubes and 50 disks, but I prefer ships & meeplee from Antike

A player takes red pieces (Sparta), the other takes the blue ones (Athens): Polis is a 1vs1 game, plenty of theme and strategy. So each game has its set of historical events and famous projects (temples, festivals, philosophers), every game is unique. There are 4 rounds, and following historical events of the 5th century BC the game last 2-2.5 hours.

Polis isn't a wargame, so the rare battles are a bluff and intuition metagame. Polis is mostly an area control game(the majority blocks enemy movements), with market and resource management. Sea control is important as land control: you need free sea lanes for trading, and sea control is very useful to move troops. At last, money (silver) can be used by Proxenos (special diplomatic units) to "buy" cities through civil wars.

Each round is a sequence of turns, in which one player does 2 action: there is a risk of analysis-paralysis, but in the meanwhile you can think about your next move.

For the final score, each player sum his population and his prestige, but prestige is needed for military actions so each move must be a good move, almost in a chess style.

In short Polis is an epic 2-players game, plenty of classic flavour and modern tactic.... and it's a free print&play! Thank you Fran!

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Here's you have the 16 GG pot!
Thanks for the review Talenor.

PS: I like when you call the battle mode in Polis as a mini "metagame": with bluff and intuition... and I add: how much you want to risk.

In example, if the opponent has 4 hoplites:
- If you attack with 2 is low risk cool (maximum possible of 2 losses for the loser in the assault: 4(opp)-2(you)=2 losses or 2(you)-0(opp)=2 losses
- High risk (some desperation arrrh ), if you attack with 4 hoplites you can win or lose up to 4 units.
- Highest risk (high desperation devil ), if you attack with no hoplites you can also win or lose up to 4 units... but you will also lose 1 unit. Do it only when you want to surprise the opponent and he doesn't expect you to dare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
That looks like a fantastic production already, very professional for a PnP. Might I suggest that this might easily be publishable. I understand there is a metric ton of wood involved but it looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks George.

As I say in the rules of this P&P you can try it with the pieces you've got: pawns, cubes... of other games or only plastic pieces, beans as spartans & peas as athenians... use your imagination, wood is a kind of "deluxe set". laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using the SoC villages and cities for population counts. I immediately thought of using the ships from the Seafarers expansion for the merchants. I think I'll still use cubes for the military units.

I don't think I have anything for the disks. I may have some pawns that'll work. I just have to find them.

Also, fantastic review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Pellitteri
Italy
Rome
ROMA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
I don't think I have anything for the disks. I may have some pawns that'll work. I just have to find them.

Glass beads:

They are very cheap in chinese shops.

Quote:
Also, fantastic review!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just helped put this game very firmly on my radar.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.