Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First of let me briefly introduce myself, my name is jeff i am 27 and from belgium.
I have been on the geek for quite a while now and have posted numerous reviews on allot of different board games, but this one will be my first review of a war game.

d10-1 How i got stared:
I have always been fascinated by WW2 having grand parents that have lived trough it.
And of course when i was a kid i used to play with my little plastic soldiers.
The closest i have ever gotten near a war game though was memoir'44, and yes i do tend to categorize it as being a war game although on the very lightest end of the spectrum.
I had some fun playing this game but a craved for something more engaging an "real".
So began my search for my first introductory war game, i posted a thread here on the geek and started looking at all the different possibility.
And as they say the rest is history!.

d10-2 Components:

The basic game comes with allot of components, ranging from double printed (paper) maps to literally hundreds of counters.
Every nation also gets its own fate deck of cards, and player aids are also covered.
While i fore one am a fan of miniatures i didn't found any problems whatsoever with the components that come with the game.
They are all very serviceable and well designed.
I do find that the price of the product is a little steep for what you are getting, but then again you are playing fore the system not just the nice "bling".
The maps themselves are nicely illustrated and very easy to understand, a also really like the art work on the fate decks.
Overall i found the quality of the components to be perfectly serviceable and the art work to be good although a bit on the bland site.

Component quality: :
Component art: :

d10-3 Mechanics:
Off course the mechanics are what form the back bone of a game, a game that looks great is worth absolutely nothing without good rules.
Let me start of by saying that the rules of this game are superb, and that i have never seen a easier manual for referencing to rules while playing.
At its core CC:E is a card driver hex and counters game, so what dos that exactly mean ?.
Well the main part of game play is covered by playing cards from your hand to give orders to your troops or have them preform special actions.
The cards also function as sort of a game clock and for making random events appear on the board.
I will however not be going into the rules to deep since they are down loadable on the designers website and there are already other reviews covering this.
I will just give a brief example of a turn.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Player one: plays a order to move one of his troops, he moves his troop adjacent to one of his leaders.
But player 2 decides to play a fire action to interrupt player 1 his movement and take opportunity fire.
Player 2 plays the action card on his leader that is adjacent to one squad carrying a smg, since the leader has 1 command point he can use the adjacent squad to form a fir team (1 hex away per command point).
He decides that he will use the fire power of smg since this is the highest one, then he adds +1 for every unit participating.
So lets say the smg has a fp of 6 and you add + 2 of the supporting units your total would be 8, but since he is tracing line of sight trough a hedge he will be getting a -1 penalty for a total of 7.
Then he flips the top card on his deck and counts the dice roll shown to his total to get his final score.
Is the card shows that a trigger takes place you resolve this before combat continues.
Now the defender makes a save by adding his moral and possible cover modifiers through the play of action cards and adds this two the dice roll on the card he flips over.
If the attack beats the defense, flip over the token and the squad is broken.
When you have the same score the defending unit gets suppressed unless it was moving in that case it breaks.
When the defender has the higher score nothing happens.

What also is important to note is that you have a initiative card that acts as a tie breaker in case of a draw in the end, but also is used to get re-rolls.
I think that the system just works really well and flows in a pretty steady pass.

Mechanics:

d10-4 Conclusion:
I find combat commander to be a very enjoyable game, and it is certainly a war game that is beginners friendly.
I do not consider myself to be the sharpest knife in the drawer but i could grasp it pretty well in part to the excellent glossary that solved all my questions i had in game.
I know i am leaving allot of detail out of my review like artillery and air support but then again this was meant as a basic overview.
Its just a great game and i cant recommend this one enough if you are looking for a place to get started.
all in all i give CC:E a solid d10-9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've just described one of my favorite games! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Villa Straylight, Freeside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey Jeff, I really like all of your reviews. Keep up the good work! I've been looking at this game myself and appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

Nice review and welcome to the CC family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Jeff! Hope you continue to enjoy my little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
And if Chad could only work his magic to include tanks etc, I wouldn't have to flirt with games like CoH, BoH etc feling a guilty shame every time I pull them off the shelves (cries himself to sleep). I know 'Grossdeutschland' is coming and I can't wait but.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
And if Chad could only work his magic to include tanks etc, I wouldn't have to flirt with games like CoH, BoH etc feling a guilty shame every time I pull them off the shelves (cries himself to sleep). I know 'Grossdeutschland' is coming and I can't wait but.......

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland cometh.

My thrill with CoH wore off rather quickly.

Cheers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. CoH is a neat, well-packaged game and Uwe comes across as a really, really nice guy on the forums but CC is the one for me.

Roll on FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.