Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

51st State» Forums » Rules

Subject: 51st State – Examples of game system, part 6 [Play fast and play smooth] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I finish presenting general mechanism of 51st State. There are many other rules that I haven’t presented here (like Leaders changing Leaders, and many more) but with no doubt you get general overview of the game. Today I want to show you how it all works – we will discuss order of a turn.

At the beginning of the turn players search the horizon for some interesting places (I think I may design a game just to be able to say during the game: “And now… bring me that horizon!” ). Your faction wants to know what’s there. You want to make contact with these people. You want to Invade them or to make a Deal with them or to make them part of your State. First phase of the turn is a Draw. You draw 3 cards. It represents that you get some info about places on the horizon. Now you will be able to contact them.

(draw is open. 4 cards are face up on the table, and players start to pick the ones they need. choices. every single time.)

After you draw, it is Production Phase. Your base produces 3 Workers and one Resource. Your Deals bring you some stuff. Some of your Locations bring you some stuff. Some of the previously Invaded cards can give you stuff, if you discard them now. You prepare to act. You gather resources. Action phase is getting close.

And then there comes Action Phase.

Before I tell you what can you do in Action Phase, few words about my point of view about design.

I hate downtime in games. And when I say I hate, I mean “I really hate!”.

So in all my games I try to create rules so they are fast and smooth. I design many small, fast actions. You play Stronghold, which is a long game, but players play small, quick actions. Invader builds Machine, Defender puts 3 hourglasses, Invader builds a Sap, Defender spends 2 hourglasses… Many small actions. To play the game fast and smooth.

In 51st State I created many “micro actions”. It makes the game play fast and smooth. In Action Phase players make these small “micro actions” one after another, no waiting for other player, no downtime, just quick and nice one micro action at the time.

What can you do in Action Phase?

- Invade a Location
- make a Deal
- Incorporate a Location
- Redevelop a Location
- Play a new Leader / exchange the current Leader
- Discard 2 cards and draw one card from the draw deck
- Send a Worker to work at a Location
- Send a Worker to an opponent’s Location
- Send 2 Workers to work at a Location a second time
- Send two Workers for Resources

It goes fast, I send 2 Workers to have Fuel, you make a Deal with a card, John is redeveloping his Location, I use Fuel to make a Deal, now you play a Leader, and now John sends a Worker to my Location, and now I send a Worker to my Location…

Action Phase ends when all players say pass and don’t want to do any more actions. Then is a Cleaning Phase when you lose all Resources and Workers you haven’t used.

New turn begins. You search for interesting places…

Fast and smooth. I hate downtime. I really mean it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tops
Netherlands
Best
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignacy,

First of all thank you for the updates...I really enjoy reading them and i'm going to pick up a copy at Essen...

trzewik wrote:
First phase of the turn is a Draw. You draw 3 cards.....

(draw is open. 4 cards are face up on the table, and players start to pick the ones they need. choices. every single time.)
I'm a little bit puzzled about the draw phase?!?!?
First you mention that you draw 3 cards...then you mention 4 cards being face up...I'm missing 1 card...

How do you pick the card you need? Can two players pick the same card?

Any indication when the complete rules will be online?

Cheers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

We will publish them next week.

There are 5 cards on the table. You take one from them. 4 are on the table. I pick one. Another one is added, our friend, John picks one card from these 4.

Three cards left.

You take one from these 3,
We add a card.
I take one from these 3.
We don't add a card. John takes one from 2

And now, everybody takes one from deck, face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hm... so you end up with 3 cards: one is random (and secret as the others have not seen it) and the others are drafted... why do some players get to draft from a smaler selection of cards though ? in the scenario you describe 'John' had a much smaller cardpool to select from than 'You' (if you know what i mean). is there some kind of start player that goes around the table so 'John' will get a better selection later ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, first player has small advantage. First player marker goes to another player after every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read all the articles, so this can only say that I will need to get a copy of your game at Essen.

I'd better get some Neuroshima Hex expansions while I'm there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the details!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
(I think I may design a game just to be able to say during the game: “And now… bring me that horizon!” ).
Oh, great. Now I not only want to play your game but I have a sudden need to watch Pirates of the Caribbean! A two-for-one post, Ignacy! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
These have been really excellent articles, and you've got me very interested in your game. Great job writing them, and thank you so much for sharing them on BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ignacy,

Great series of articles! I can't wait to see the rules for this baby, and from other comments and my own feelings, I'm sure people are ready to chew your right arm off to get this game!!

One quick question. If we want to buy a copy of this game from Essen 2010, do we have to "reserve" a copy via the Portal Publishing website for collection on the day, or will it be available for general purchase?

Keep on keeping on,

John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback.

I hope we will have enough copies for everyone. Anyway, we will announce preorders in few days, so everyone who wants to be 100% sure he will grab a copy for his own, will be able to reserve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ads on BGG are driving me nuts with anticipation.

Any word on an American distributor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
Thank you.

We will publish them next week.

Any word yet on when we'll see the complete rules? I'm very curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
Designer of two games and one expansion
badge
This space is available for rental
Microbadge: Left Joy ConMicrobadge: Switch it up!Microbadge: Right Joy Con
Portal just published polish rules on their site so english rulebook is close I suppose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosz wrote:
Portal just published polish rules on their site so english rulebook is close I suppose
Do you have a link to the polish rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
Designer of two games and one expansion
badge
This space is available for rental
Microbadge: Left Joy ConMicrobadge: Switch it up!Microbadge: Right Joy Con
you can find it here (where it says 'instrukcja do gry') http://www.wydawnictwoportal.pl/produkty/planszowki/51-stan/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus E.-L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
English rules may be downloaded at: http://www.portalpublishing.eu/2010/09/rulebook-for-51st-sta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Nazar
Poland
flag msg tools
trzewik wrote:
..In 51st State I created many “micro actions”. It makes the game play fast and smooth. In Action Phase players make these small “micro actions” one after another, no waiting for other player, no downtime, just quick and nice one micro action at the time...
"edited after few plays"

Hi there.
Both instruction say you need to wait with your action for the previous player to complete. And one might change his decision based on previous player's action, so as I see it (and played!) it is a lot of thinking here. So it might be slow...

...but, after few plays I can confirm the game is QUICK!
The 3rd time we played, the score was around 25-45 in ~40 minutes. We even didn't notice the game ended ;)

Great game! :)

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls