Aleksander R. Nordgarden Rødner
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
Proud father of Sarah Arwen and Ruth Rose
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been wanting to get into serious nitty gritty hex gaming, I asked a friend to suggest a few games that he'd be willing to teach me. One of these games was Battle for Moscow, a game I'd tried previously, but never really enjoyed.

Still, I decided to give it a second chance, and I am happy that I did. Deceptively simple, it provides a basic lesson in wargaming, with simple, clear and concise rules that nevertheless supply ample opportunity for strategy and friendly gaming, especially for good friends, which we are.

Each turn comprises one or two weeks, and the scale of the units is corps to army. Part of the elegance of the game comes from the fact that there are two kinds of units, infantry and panzer, with only two numbers to take into consideration; combat strength and movement allowance.

This makes for a game that seems to be very simple, but has the potential for in-depth strategy, planning and execution. The Russian player, who starts out with only 4/4 troops, is at a severe disadvantage to begin with, which is encouraging for the novice German player.

As the game progresses, however, that advantage becomes much smaller as the German armor keeps up with the Russian infantry, while the German infantry is left behind. When the Russian player then gets the ability to promote key units to 8/4, and a 5/4 unit to deploy in round 4, that can become a 10/4 unit when promoted, the outcome of the war is far from decided.

In my opinion, Battle for Moscow is best suited for play between friends who enjoy discussing the tactical ramifications of their moves during play, though I also think it's excellently suited for a quick(ish) tournament.

Like ASL for smaller units, BfM is a great way to get into hex gaming, and I enjoy it a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BfM is a great little game! I like it a lot.
When you mention 'US', I believe you mean 'German'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer1963 wrote:
BfM is a great little game! I like it a lot.
When you mention 'US', I believe you mean 'German'!
well, that's what I get for having my fiancée, who doesn't play BfM, to proofread my text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! I can't speak or write Bokmål/Nynorsk either! laugh
All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer1963 wrote:
No problem! I can't speak or write Bokmål/Nynorsk either! laugh
All the best!
And the same to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.