Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Don
France
Montpellier
Herault / Languedoc-Roussillon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am going on a business trip to Frisco in November, and was thinking about getting a bunch of games back home to France, where in Frisco can I:

1. Find a great selection of board games at fair prices?
2. Possibly purchase used games (in a store that is..) ?

Thanks.

Cheers,
D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know these stores:
Endgame: http://www.endgameoakland.com
Game Kastle: http://www.gamekastle.com
Games of Berkeley: http://gamesofberkeley.com/wordpress/
Gamescape: http://www.gamescapesf.net/

Game Kastle might be hard to reach if you are using public transportation, but the others will be convenient and worth the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair prices is tough in a real live store....

I've been to both Gamescape and Games of Berkeley.

Gamescape didn't do anything for me. I was really disappointed, I don't plan on heading back that way. The store felt very cold, the staff hid in the back with the miniatures players when I walked in... not so friendly local game store.

Games of Berkeley is massive and felt way friendlier to me. Plus, they have a great board game and RPG selection, if you're into that stuff as well. Whenever I want to support a local shop, I venture across the bay into Berkeley. Expensive? well its a real store so yes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I agree with Matt that prices will be expensive. For example, Dominion will run you like $45 not including taxes. I did'nt like Gamescape and between Games of Berkeley and Endgamer, I'll pick Endgamer. It just seemed their games were displayed and laid out better compare to Games of Berkeley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice!! Four addresses to add on my map for my half day off (thats mostly what I have when flying out in biz) where I always try to get something I like done in a city instead of hanging back at the hotel waiting for the flight time...

Thanks guys!!

Cheers,
D.Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Warren
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Gamescape Palo Alto when it was open, but the SF store hasn't really been worth going to for me. Games of Berkeley was between the BART station and campus when my wife and I were going to Cal, so we went there very often. It's got a large physical location (for a SF Bay Area store), and a decent selection of both board games & RPGs. Prices are going to be around MSRP - since it's a brick and mortar store in a high land-value area) - but they usually had some stuff on sale as I recall.

If you are in Berkeley during the evening, I'd suggest checking out http://www.albatrosspub.com/ if you'd like to eat while you game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Oleksy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geneandcourtney wrote:
I loved Gamescape Palo Alto when it was open, but the SF store hasn't really been worth going to for me.

Amen to that brother. I used to work right down the street and would venture in at least once a week. Then one I day I walked down there and they were closed. A sad day indeed.

I 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or ...) the negative remarks of the SF location. They seem way more focused on miniatures and CCGs than boardgames (though, I did preorder my copy of Battlelore from there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm, is gamescape the only store IN Frisco? I will have very limited time to make my shopping, meaning, inside SF "town" is probably what I will have time for only.. Would love to go to the other places you guys recommend here, but it's not realistic within my schedule...

=(

Cheers
D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bien H V
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of a friend just opened a new store in the West Portals...have not yet checked it out, but perhaps you can.

Just Awesome Games
320 West Portal Ave. San Francisco, CA 94127
http://www.justawesomethewebsite.com/map.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamescape North in San Rafael ( http://www.gamescape-north.com/ )
is no longer affiliated with the SF store. Delightful helpful staff, nice community, a full schedule of events.
And you can hit the store on the way back from sightseeing in Muir Woods or something, too (if you go the long way around.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
Won't be any time to get outa town, will be tied up (trade show at the Moscone) inside town and since I will only get tops half a day off duty, most prolly my last day, so I can't go further away than I can reach with a cab or by foot or so, gotta make sure I dont miss my plane back...

Cheers,

D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
DDon wrote:
Won't be any time to get outa town, will be tied up (trade show at the Moscone) inside town and since I will only get tops half a day off duty, most prolly my last day, so I can't go further away than I can reach with a cab or by foot or so, gotta make sure I dont miss my plane back...

Cheers,

D.Don

Gamescape SF has a great selection if you have to stay in town, if just browsing and poking is what you want to do. Some of the staff are very friendly and really great. I've also had the other reported experiences there.

Just Awesome Games has a strong following and is run by two really great guys. They have a much smaller selection than any of the other stores.

If you are REALLY short on time, I can half-heartedly recommend walking the two blocks to Jeffery's at 3rd and Market. It's a toy/comic/game store. The people working there know absolutely nothing about games, and the selection is mediocre, and mostly just stacked in a corner. they do have things like Die Macher and Titan though, so it might be worth walking into.

You shouldn't write off Games of Berkeley though. Because of the awesome nature of SF and its design completely discouraging any sort of quick movement through town, it may actually be faster to get across the bay to Games of Berkeley (Moscone is right near BART stop and GoB is right at a BART stop) than to Gamescape or Just Awesome. Gamescape is about a 15-20 minute cab ride or 20-30 minute bus ride (6 or 71, 71L to Divisadero, pick up the bus on Market heading outbound). Gamescape is right near the Haight though, so after browsing the games, head up haight Street and look at the hippies and head shops.

Just awesome is on one of the train lines, but I can't remember which, so that should be easy to get to from Moscone, and would be a relatively quick cab ride from there to Gamescape.

All of the in-town game stores charge full MSRP though.

Have fun!
abe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Just Awesome in West Portal of SF. It's directly in front of the subway stop, so very easy to get to, and a really great shop. The owners are friendly, they have a wide (though not widest) variety of games, and you can open any game and play it at the store. They have great game nights, tables, and a good vibe in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could simply order the games from one of the online retailers in the U.S. and have them shipped to your hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
You could simply order the games from one of the online retailers in the U.S. and have them shipped to your hotel.

Yeah, I think I'll maybe do something in that direction, I could even get the gear shipped to our US sales partner, and he'll bring it to the show, and apart from that, visit whatever store I get the time to visit when I am there, just for the H of it as I am a bit curios, of course, too... hehe!

Cheers
D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some popular us online stores:
Thoughthammer.com
boardsnbits.com
coolstuffinc

I've used the first two and been happy, never used the third (although, actually I may have bought pitchcar from them. can't remember).

There are some others, but these should do you fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Sisneros
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
I feel I must chime in here. You all seem to like game stores and yet talk about MSRP as if that is overpriced. In several places you mention that you value people who are friendly and knowledgable about games. It is also mentioned that game events are a good thing. If all this is true might I suggest that using the value of a game store without purchasing your games there will eventually result in there not being a game store to go to. A last thought is that many people only see the price listed on an online store and fail to consider the shipping. In my experience your savings is greatly diminished or even vanished when you account shipping.

In the interest of full disclosure I will say that I am a game store owner, but my attitude about supporting local stores predates my ownership by many years.

It is interesting to me that the online shopping options have created a belief that MSRP is overpriced. And this is true for all shopping, not just the games industry. It makes me wonder if there is a future for small shops of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wonderjeep wrote:
I feel I must chime in here. You all seem to like game stores and yet talk about MSRP as if that is overpriced. In several places you mention that you value people who are friendly and knowledgable about games. It is also mentioned that game events are a good thing. If all this is true might I suggest that using the value of a game store without purchasing your games there will eventually result in there not being a game store to go to. A last thought is that many people only see the price listed on an online store and fail to consider the shipping. In my experience your savings is greatly diminished or even vanished when you account shipping.

In the interest of full disclosure I will say that I am a game store owner, but my attitude about supporting local stores predates my ownership by many years.

It is interesting to me that the online shopping options have created a belief that MSRP is overpriced. And this is true for all shopping, not just the games industry. It makes me wonder if there is a future for small shops of any kind.

Where in Frisco is your shop buddy?

Cheers
D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderjeep wrote:

Honestly, I think the only reason people are mentioning the pricing of these stores is because it was part of the OPs criteria for stores. I think people just wanted to be clear that all of these stores charge MSRP, so not to look for a discount.

As for the MSRP vs. discount prices, that issue is much older than online, and I think goes back a lot farther to stores like WalMart or BestBuy or any other box type or discount store. Americans have gotten used to paying less for all kinds of goods at all kinds of stores. Additionally, many local brick and mortar stores have discount programs, so even they are signaling that prices are high.

Ex:
Gamescape will give 10% off to regular customers
Just Awesome Games gives discounts to customers who buy games on game nights
Gator Games has a sale every weekend

But now I'm guilty of continuing the thread hijack and I apologize.

As an aside, I shop at a mix of stores online and offline. In the last 18 months I have bought games at Gamescape (who give, just awesome games, Endgame, Games of Berkely, Gator Games, Boards and Bits (actually I bought two game table covers but no games), Thoughthammer, Wizard's Chest (Denver), and GMT Games.

I believe that there is room for both in the market. I'm glad to continue this conversation in another thread, but won't respond here again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmb
And the price question is based on the fact that I know that some stores, no matter what biz we are talking, keep "streetprices". My game pusher here in France always stays 5% below MSRP, on all games. Hence my curiosity...

D.Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderjeep wrote:

My primary source of games is Cool Stuff Inc.

1: They are a local game store and an online store.

2: They offer free shipping at the $100 threshold.

3: They have a discount program for repeat customers, and I'm frighteningly getting close to the 5% level.

4: They advertise on BGG.

Win. Win. Win. Win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls