Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
If anyone is near or passing through southern Illinois I highly recommend checking out Castle Perilous. I stopped in today for the first time and was floored by how awesome this store is, probably the best gaming store I've ever been in. Their selection of boardgames is HUGE, covering everything from FFG to more traditional eurogames, and more silly games like fluxx and killer rabbits, and wargames also. And abstracts! They even had used games, some of them cheap thrift store stuff but also some more OOP rare type games like Dark Tower. Some of the new games were more recent OOPs as well... They go the extra step too, putting laminated one-page reviews next to a lot of the games. They have some promotional things you can get if you buy a game, like special catan map/games and special tiles for Battue. The guy working was very friendly and said they can order games too. They had a couple game rooms to play. I'm not into RPG and miniatures but it looked like they had a good selection of those.
Their website with hours and location: http://www.castleperilous.com/
I wish these guys were in my hometown! (I'm only in town for a few weeks doing some research). Carbondale is a pretty small town so I went in expecting a pretty minimal selection and was happily surprised to find such a gem of a game store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They had a couple game rooms

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's home town is near Carbondale so I'll be sure to check it out this Thanksgiving. I did visit about 16 years ago in college with a budddy who was a Magic nut at the time, but I had no interest in games then. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
been there, great store

their used game section is HUGE

EVERY game store should taken in used games for credit and then resell em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Stucker
United States
Robinson
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter will be going to SIU next year. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Carbondalite and can attest to a 20-year (plus) tradition of excellence from "Castle P", as the locals call it. Excellent store, excellent selection, excellent atmosphere and excellent staff. We're quite fortunate indeed. Add in the lush beauty of the area, and it's a gamer's paradise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good store been around for years, great selection of out of print stuff. I just wish the sold product online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The man speaks the truth. Spent a great deal of time in this store, and it would be the envy of many a more populous location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing through Carbondale to visit family, I realized I'd left my game gift for them behind. Stopped at Castle Perilous to rectify the mistake and was impressed.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Found out yesterday they give a you a 25% discount on your birthday. Even more awesomeness for this store!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leitzen
United States
Johnston City
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience here. I grew up in the southern Illinois area and just recently moved back. I had gone into Castle Perilous a couple of times, really blown away by their awesome selection and atmosphere. I hadn't played D n D for years, but wanted to get back into it. This past D and D Games Day, Castle Perilous ran an introduction to 4e (the Neverwinter campaign), which I participated in with a wonderful group.

Here's where the problem came in. While playing in the back room (which we were sharing with a group playing Yu Gui Oh), the owner of the store (Scott Thorne, PhD) came back, went in the bathroom and came out screaming, yelling "Which one of you morons left the water running?" He continued insulting the entire back room for about 30 seconds and then stormed off, leaving me feeling very uncomfortable. Apparently, someone from the other group had left water running (none of my group had gone to the restroom). Now, I don't know how much damage was done, but I certainly felt that this man completely overreacted. That night I came home, e-mailed the store to cancel my pre-order for Quarriors, and vowed to never spend another dollar in Castle Perilous, which is terribly unfortunate, because it is an awesome store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Thorne
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thank you for reminding me of that. It was unprofessional behavior of me and I apologize to you. I did apologize to people later but not everybody it appears. I am sorry we have lost your business and hope that sometime you will come in so I may apologize to you in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
castleperilous wrote:
Thank you for reminding me of that. It was unprofessional behavior of me and I apologize to you. I did apologize to people later but not everybody it appears. I am sorry we have lost your business and hope that sometime you will come in so I may apologize to you in person.

Everyone has bad days and makes mistakes. Not everyone will admit they are wrong and apologize though. Very cool of you Scott to come on here and reply personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leitzen
United States
Johnston City
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you very much for the apology. As I said in my message to you earlier, I am terrible with confrontation (I know, doesn't make sense for a guy who enjoys war games and such) and even though I am 100% certain that no one in my group used the restroom that day, I just completely lost my vibe for the rest of the session. I realize that I am too quick to judge. If the same situation would have occurred in my home or establishment, I would have been furious as well. I did not mean to steer people from the store, as Castle Perilous is the best game store I have ever visited (and I do make it a point to try and visit a store wherever I travel). Thank you again for the apology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls