Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
378 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Events » BGG.CON

Subject: BGG.Con 2010 Math Trade Actual Discussion - TRADE DONE, SEE YOU NEXT YEAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Con Math Trade Sitrep
(color denotes current status)

Defcon 5. Add your game and stuff offers to the Actual Geeklist. Check out the Request Geeklist periodically.

Defcon 4. Midnightish CST Monday, November 1st, 2010 (or whenever Halloween gaming/festivities conclude late late): I close the Geeklist to further additions. Monday during the day, November 1st, 2010: I'll have JeffyJeff's Online Wantlist Generator ready for wantlist submissions. Yes, I plan to use Google Docs again for posting.

Defcon 3. Midnight CST Sunday, November 7th, 2010: Wantlists are due! Wantlists are due! Wantlists are due! Monday November 8th, 2010: Results and all wantlists will be posted after I wake up and before noon Central Time. At this point in time, we make sure I didn't make any mistakes. You make sure all your items are marked as "for-trade" on BGG.

Defcon 2. Tuesday November 9th, 2010: Assuming all goes well, I'll declare the results official! Givers and getters, submit your trade requests through the BGG trade system. Feel free to make secondary trades.

Defcon 1. Saturday, November 20th, 2010, noon to 1pm: TRADE! The room is Sunnyside. Feel free to make your trades earlier during the con.

Defcon 0. Welcome home, gang! Postmortem time! "Ship" anything needed, update your collection, leave feedback for your trade partners, and generally discuss. Don't forget to tip and thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.Con 2010 Math Trade Actual Discussion
With apologies to last year...

Mischa's Newbie Guide to Math Trades

What the hell is a math trade?

A math trade is a way to orchestrate trades between people without requiring direct, one-for-one trades. Example: I give you a game, you give Aldie a game, and Aldie gives me a game. We all give; we all get. We didn't trade directly with each other and none of us gets what we didn't ask for. Now scale that up to several hundred games and dozens of people. Everyone tells a computer program what they want, and it crunches the numbers (hence, "math") to figure out who gives what to who.

cry What do I do?

Read this trade's rules as posted on the Actual Geeklist. If you're cool, inventory your games and add them to the list with a good description.

gulp Wait, I don't want to trade my signed Sid Sackson/Reiner Knizia RAcquire colaboration prototype with custom Rodin Fimo bits and get a slightly used travel chess set from the 1995 World's Fair Wheaties box!

No worries. All Math Trades are "No Risk" by definition. It's mathematically impossible for you to get a trade you didn't ask for. So just be mindful of your wantlists and only add games you're actually willing to accept for a given item. But don't be too restrictive and hope for a trade up; you may wind up with no trades.

blush Okay, now what?

Wait for further instructions, familiarize yourself with the deadlines and the Online Wantlist Generator. Subscribe to this thread! Ask questions! Tip! Thumb! Answer questions! Read the wiki! Don't sleep in on trade day!

This newbie guide is not to supplant Awesome Lindsey's Guide or the wiki entry. JeffyJeff's Online Wantlist Generator has its own wiki page, too.

Mischa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, PRIZES!

I enjoy doing my part to evangelize for New Orleans. You reap the gastronomical benefit!

Three prizes, three winners.

Sweet: A variety of Hubig's pies.
Spicy: A selection of Tabasco goodness.
Jumpy: One pound of whole bean coffee from PJ's. Your choice of blend, decaf prohibited.

To play, Geekmail me the answer to this question:

What is the percentage of successful trades for this year's Math Trade? Feel free to go to whatever decimal place you feel comfortable with. Remember, there's 1487 total items available for trade.

Once again, we're going with the Price is Right rule: Closest to the actual percentage without going over wins. (In the case of ties, earlier entries will win.) First closest to the actual number gets first pick, second closest gets second pick. Third closest gets the last prize. Some substitutions allowed for food allergies or preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OFFICIAL RESULTS

BAM, let's do it.

I have a procedure I want you to follow. Basically, send trade proposal to the person who GETS the games you're giving away. Wait a bit before pestering the other person who's giving to you. I'm not saying wait until Friday, just give them some breathing room.

There are nice human readable summaries here, thanks to JeffyJeff.

You can view the official results in Google Docs here.

Wantlists here (For some reason, this file won't convert).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for just-in-case.

Once again: No cash, no gift certificates, no geekgold.

DO NOT DELETE ANY ITEM YOU ADD TO THE ACTUAL GEEKLIST. Replace it with Outside the Scope of BGG and indicate you will submit a blank want list for that item.

The Request List Courtesy Suggestion Non-Rule: If you add an item to the Actual Geeklist due to someone requesting it on the Request List, it is Good Form to add a comment to the effect of "Hey, I added this. It's item number such-and-such." This is not a rule.

REMEMBER TO DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WANTLISTS. You are effectively entering into a contract to give your item to the person determined by the aggregate wantlists. We all make mistakes, but only mine will invalidate the results.

It's better to submit your wantlists early and then fiddle and resubmit.

Once again, feel free to geekmail me your cellphone. I promise not to abuse your trust. Optionally, send me a current photo so we can find you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mischa, in the trade geeklist itself]No garbage. [... wrote:
please don't list actual worthless things or badly damaged games. Be kind to your moderator's typing fingers. If you've got crap, try and give it away elsewhere.
Is there any suggested lower bound on value? Can I try to trade a tiny little game expansion for a different tiny little game expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Is there any suggested lower bound on value? Can I try to trade a tiny little game expansion for a different tiny little game expansion?
Nope. Go nuts and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Woohoo! As always, thanks for running this, Mischa. Last year's was my first ever math trade & I'm looking forward to it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

That's one of the primary benefits of a no-ship trade, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks in advance for handling this Mischa. Look forward to seeing you in Dallas again. This is year 5 for me. Cause for a celebration of some sort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotrodqt wrote:
This is year 5 for me. Cause for a celebration of some sort!
(off-topic) I thought we all went / met you for the first time in 2005?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiddGames wrote:
hotrodqt wrote:
This is year 5 for me. Cause for a celebration of some sort!
(off-topic) I thought we all went / met you for the first time in 2005?
(off-topic cont.) 2006 I'm pretty sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to advertise better this year. A lot of people came looking for the MT after it was completed last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
Might want to advertise better this year. A lot of people came looking for the MT after it was completed last year.
You should start by putting the title of the trade in the Math Trade Announcement thread announcement. Just the links gave me no clue as to what kind of trade this was.

Edit: Never mind. I see it. I was expecting it to show up in the text, not the edited subject which I typically ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
I've pointed people here in both of the threads I saw in the BGG.Con forum, and I try to keep my eyes open for when people ask about it. Do you have any suggestions for better advertising the trade? Participation is good!

kdiddy13 wrote:
Edit: Never mind. I see it. I was expecting it to show up in the text, not the edited subject which I typically ignore.
Fixed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for Math Trade newcomers and others that might have questions, please refer them to the Math Trade video tutorials I've produced. Part 4 on duplicate protection should be especially useful, as I see many questions related to that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the OLWLG is mandatory for this math trade, why has it not been added to the OLWLG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
From the first post (my emphasis though):
rossum wrote:
Defcon 4. Midnightish CST Monday, November 1st, 2010 (or whenever Halloween gaming/festivities conclude late late): I close the Geeklist to further additions. Monday during the day, November 1st, 2010: I'll have the official summary done and JeffyJeff's Online Wantlist Generator ready for use. Yes, I plan to use Google Docs again for posting.
Looks like it pops up at the very end. A pity really as it is nice to start want lists early in anticipation. And I also find it easier to scan JeffyJeff's lists for things I am interested in (thanks to the colour coding) as well as the wish/want view. Much more convenient than paging through the vast number of pages in the geeklist.

But Mischa's the organizer, so his rules as to when he wants to the get OLWLG ready.

Simple oopsie (see below).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
I've pointed people here in both of the threads I saw in the BGG.Con forum, and I try to keep my eyes open for when people ask about it. Do you have any suggestions for better advertising the trade? Participation is good!

kdiddy13 wrote:
Fixed. Thanks!
Maybe see if an admin could sticky this to the front page news ection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logicalgambit wrote:
If the OLWLG is mandatory for this math trade, why has it not been added to the OLWLG?
Because Mischa forgot to send his GM to JeffyJeff. Mea culpa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Looks like it pops up at the very end. A pity really as it is nice to start want lists early in anticipation.
This is incorrect and unclear, and I will fix soon. The OLWLG request is in the hands of JeffyJeff now. Sorry for the delay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:
RPardoe wrote:
Looks like it pops up at the very end. A pity really as it is nice to start want lists early in anticipation.
This is incorrect and unclear, and I will fix soon. The OLWLG request is in the hands of JeffyJeff now. Sorry for the delay!
Gotcha. Cool man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
Convince the admins to pin it.
For some of us BGG Con goers, this is probably the most important event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OLWLG is live now.

Please do not panic if I forget to hit sync every moment of every day for the next month. Give me at least twelve hours before panicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to the BGG Con forum (shadow left in the Trades forum) and pinned.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |