Subject: Good games store in or near Cork, Ireland? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Hess
Ireland
Cork
Munster
flag msg tools
I will be moving to Cork, Ireland soon for a job and I wonder if there are any good game stores in the area.

Google unfortunately didn't really bring anything up, not even online retailers in ROI. Sure, I could order from the UK but both exchange rates and shipping will probably make it a rather expensive endeavour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302/flgs-of-the-world... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in Cork at the beginning of this year and I know there has been a nice board gaming shop right in the central Shopping Center next to St. Patrick's St. I think it was called Other Realms (yeah, I found it thanks to google - here it is http://store.otherrealms.com/store/).

From what I've seen they were more into Warhammer and miniatures, but had a few board games as well and the guys were really nice, so I think they could get titles on order, if someone really wants something that's not in store.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Hegarty
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to co-own Corks first game shop. Happy days. It's long since closed but other realm is a good store. Cork's a fab town but be warned. The accent is strong and full of slang. After 12 years in the states my co-workers still find it hard to understand me. Mind you, they are colonials.
You have to have a sandwich is the long valley (pub) and a quiet pint in the Hi B across the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Donovan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said Other Realms is the only shop in Cork. It's your standard comics/games shop really. A very good Warhammer and 40K shop, a decent selection of comics and books, rpg's, and you'll find some main stream board games.

If you a here in January you can attend the local convention. www.Warpcon.com Its one of Irelands biggest and best cons and it might help you meet local gamers.

Let us know what you are into.

@Domhnall. Corks first gaming store? Would that hvve been they tiny little place near the courthouse? It was an "interesting" place to say the least! Also, I agree with the Hi B recommendation. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hess
Ireland
Cork
Munster
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Since the job will be on a permanent contract I'm pretty sure that I'll still be around in January...

I'm not really sure what kind of games I'm into. I've only recently been (re)introduced to board games (apart from the games I played as a kid many years ago ofc) and haven't played that many games since then but my played stats and my collection/wishlist might give you an idea.

The accent might be a challenge for me as a german, yes. I was in Cork for the job interview a couple weeks ago and it was interesting whenever I had to talk to locals.

And what about online retailers in ROI? Is my google-fu too weak or are there really none?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal

Newtownabbey
Antrim
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cork as it was mentioned above is just Other Realms.

If you go to all the Cons around Ireland you can get to see most of the stock on one location. Watch out for the October bank holiday as it would be the IGA (Irish Gaming Asociation) Convention in Dublin Gaelcon for details logon to www.gaelcon.com

Online retailers: Gamers World Dublin http://gamersworlddublin.com/
stock up almost anything and will ship at a resonable rate or you could try UK online stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also The Comic Vault now open and the Sandbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls