Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games Magazine Game of the Year is a game only 6 people on BGG own??! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of this game--Jump Gate--which is available from on-demand publisher The Game Crafter. What a strange choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good that they promote independent titles though. Who needs to know that another dominion expansion ( substitute with your favorite game here) to win the prize seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pretty weird. Their choices are usually much more mainstream, without being mass market games. Then again, there's only 3 or 4 people doing the picking, so I guess they all really liked the game.

So congratulations to the people behind Jump Gate--the designer and publisher must be thrilled. Now I just need someone to tell me what this game is about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brieve Morrison
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/3450/jump-gate/dice-tower...
Looks ok not sure its the best game I have seen this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brieve wrote:

Maybe the magazine doesn't want to be as high-brow as this website's members make of this hobby. So, they chose a game that fits more mainstream tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brieve Morrison
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Brieve wrote:

Maybe the magazine doesn't want to be as high-brow as this website's members make of this hobby. So, they chose a game that fits more mainstream tastes.

I hope that you don't take my comment as high-browed I was just saying I have seen other games that look and play better this year. Not saying this is a bad game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games Magazine Game of the Year has pretty much always been complete crap as far as I've seen. Ever since the 90's or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
I have never heard of this game--Jump Gate--which is available from on-demand publisher The Game Crafter. What a strange choice!

Jump Gate was already on my short list of possible games to buy. It's one of the few short, non-complex, 2-player-compatible space games out there. I applaud the choice.

I guess you must have read about the 2011 Game of the Year in the print magazine. I can't find anything online about the new selections (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Games Magazine Game of the Year has pretty much always been complete crap as far as I've seen. Ever since the 90's or so.

Looking at Games Magazine Game of the Year I see, among others, TZAAR, DVONN, Quoridor, Pillars of the Earth,... I guess your taste is quite different, but I find it a stretch to call these complete crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Looking at Games Magazine Game of the Year I see, among others, TZAAR, DVONN, Quoridor, Pillars of the Earth,... I guess your taste is quite different, but I find it a stretch to call these complete crap.

Not to mention the winner last year (2010): Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Worden
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.mwgames.com/JumpGate ... check it out! ;-D
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:

Actually ... that was my first thought too.

But I really like the game ... of course, I might be a little biased.

-Matt

p.s. I am working on a special edition to be available soon through normal retailers (have some pricing and logistics to work out), in addition to keeping the POD version available through TGC ... and I am also working to have this available through a known publisher next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brykovian wrote:
snoweel wrote:

Actually ... that was my first thought too.

But I really like the game ... of course, I might be a little biased.

-Matt

p.s. I am working on a special edition to be available soon through normal retailers (have some pricing and logistics to work out), in addition to keeping the POD version available through TGC ... and I am also working to have this available through a known publisher next year.

Congratulations on the award. I know nothing about the game but it's surprising to see a game that has basically flown under the radar get a high-profile award. I hope I can try it out some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
russ wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

I sort of like Pillars of the Earth. All the rest: No thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Yeah, pretty weird. Their choices are usually much more mainstream, without being mass market games. Then again, there's only 3 or 4 people doing the picking, so I guess they all really liked the game.

So congratulations to the people behind Jump Gate--the designer and publisher must be thrilled. Now I just need someone to tell me what this game is about!

The Vasel video may be a good place to start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Buzzkiller! (one in every thread it seems) devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tavis Parker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
Self-publish your own games through The Game Crafter's print on demand service!
badge
Are you a game designer? Join over 210,000 users in our community who love designing games and playing indie games!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game designer behind Jump Gate (Matt Worden @ www.mwgames.com - who I noticed has now replied to this thread) contacted us about a week ago. He informed us of this great accomplishment and we're ecstatic!

This is a HUGE victory for Matt and our community of game designers who have been creating games thru our website since we launched in July of 2009. Our goal from the start (at The Game Crafter - TGC) was to empower game designers so that they could easily design and self-publish games. Using our site and working within our limitations (of game parts and supported printables/sizes) game designers would be able to create a game, get it printed, and even sell it online without cost.

Naturally, being a POD (print-on-demand) game publisher, we allow anyone to create their games and self publish. In the past, some people in the gaming community (and even here on BGG) have criticized our company because of the selection of games that are available on our website. However, we aren't like a typical game publisher where we hand select the games we want to represent/offer.

Instead, think of us as a launch pad for new card/board game ideas. It's very similar in concept to the App Store in iTunes. Some of the games are well designed and worth every penny, while others may be early stage prototypes, thrown together quickly for fun, or made by a young child! (who thinks the game is awesome!)

Now we can add an 'award winning game' to that list as well. Woohoo! For those of you interested in checking the game out, visit http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/jump-gate

To Matt:

On behalf of the entire TGC team, I'd like to congratulate you on your achievement. We're really impressed with what you've been able to accomplish with our service and we hope that this provides additional exposure/credibility to the TGC community so that other game designers can follow your footsteps!

Sincerely,

Tavis Parker
The Game Crafter
www.thegamecrafter.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Gamecrafters is a great service, and massive congrats to Matt. Hopefully this brings more visibility to the whole thing and gets more people interested in games produced this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brieve wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
Brieve wrote:

I hope that you don't take my comment as high-browed I was just saying I have seen other games that look and play better this year. Not saying this is a bad game at all.

No, not a comment about you personally. But one about the general attitude of this site that tends to look down on games that are either mainstream productions or not from this favorite publisher or that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
peakhope wrote:
russ wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

I sort of like Pillars of the Earth. All the rest: No thank you.

I agree Pillars is the only one mentioned that I would play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:

But would you call e.g. DVONN and TZAAR complete crap? There are many different games I'm not interested in playing for many different reasons, but that doesn't mean I think they are all complete crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JohnBandettini wrote:
russ wrote:
But would you call e.g. DVONN and TZAAR complete crap? There are many different games I'm not interested in playing for many different reasons, but that doesn't mean I think they are all complete crap.
why, YES, I then SHALL! DVONN = BGONN & TZAAR = GTFOOH whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original title of "Best independent game with a dodgy manual, so-so components, and poor availability game of the year" didn't sound like it would sell as many copies so they changed it to that.

Looking at the review, it looks like quite a solid game that I wouldn't hesitate to try. If they said "Best Independant Game of the Year" I would have said fair call.

But I would love to see how the magazine came to the conclusion it was the best game of the year???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djcassar wrote:
But I would love to see how the magazine came to the conclusion it was the best game of the year???

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that they liked it better than any of the other ones they tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
djcassar wrote:

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that they liked it better than any of the other ones they tried.

Liked it better? What is "it"?

The mechanics
The gameplay
The price
The quality of parts
The ease of play
The theme
The depth of the game

A combination of all of the above? Were they looking at it from a family gaming point of view rather than a gamers point of view?

I am more so interested on how they weighed the different aspects. So I can understand their thought process.

Whenever I ask people what their favourite game is, I always ask them why and what the aspects of the game are that they like. It helps me understand better because these things are so subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important question...

What were the other 99 games and what were the winners (and runners up) in each category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.