Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you please recommend a great board game store in Manhattan? Is the Forbidden Planet and The Compleat Strategist the two best options? I'm mainly looking for GMT Games and Columbia Games titles, since they're hard (very expensive) to get in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for what you're looking for, the compleat strategist is likely your only option.

forbidden planet only has a very small selection of mainly mayfair, rio grande and fantasy flight games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right, and they have only current games that are available everywhere. Manhattan is an utter wasteland if you are looking for anything like hard-to-find / out-of-print games.
For that you need to go down to Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Lancaster (Amish Country) to Hershey: you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat Strategisthas a surprisingly large selection of GMT (and I assume Columbia) games. You'll be quite pleased.

Of course, you could just order from an online retailer and have delivery arranged to your hotel (or whatever) for a date when you'll be in the States. Probably save a lot of money that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
For that you need to go down to Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Lancaster (Amish Country) to Hershey: you'll be amazed at what you can find.
I've actually lived outside Philly for about 8 years, so I know that's a good area for gamers.

One quick note. I'm not the one going to Manhattan, I'm going to SPIEL in Essen. My brother was supposed to come with me to SPIEL, but must instead go to a business meeting in Manhattan. We thought he could try to snatch a copy of Dominant Species with a little luck, as I foresee it being very expensive and in short supply at SPIEL.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll direct my brother to The Compleat Strategist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THe only problem with the Strategist is that it's retail, so you pay full price. I guess I've been spoiled by buying online, but it's hard for me to take the plunge and plunk down 50 bucks on a game that I can get for 35 online. ON the positive side, the Strategist has a ton of stuff, particularly if you're into Roleplaying and minis (warhammer mostly).
The boardgame selection was not the best I've ever seen, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.
Though, actually, I havent' been there in a long time. Maybe it's time to make a return trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynda Shea
United States
Tolland
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in stock at GameSurplus right now for $48. It can be delivered within a day from PA to NYC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls