Popular Tags: ASL [+] [View All]
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you are looking for THE tactical game of all time, you want Advanced Squad Leader.

I am serious. The other games fade after this one, because ASL is as much of a game as you want it to be. Want simple? No problem. There are small and simple scenarios. Want complex? It can ramp up into the stratosphere at Mach 15.

Don't let the "out of print" status worry you. One: there are countless copies of the original ASL rulebook out there. Pick one up - you'll fit right in. When you get a chance at the second edition, take it - but it will not change how you play the game, only make it a little easier on some of the obscure rules.

The same is true on some of the out of print modules. Get the old ones. The only difference in most is there are a few more scenarios.

Note: don't bother with SL - different ball game. Truth in advertising - I never LIKED SL all that much. But ASL corrected everything, and made it easy to learn and easy to like. (OK - try ASL Starter Kit if you don't have someone to lead you through it.)

ASL is THE game. And the best part is - you have plenty of opponents out there, any time you want one.

This is a game that can challenge you, and REWARD you, for DECADES. (I know.)

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
I have posted a LONG "inside the box" review of Beyond Valor on the Beyond Valor page, and a medium length review of Solitaire ASL on the SASL page as well. A Paratrooper review might be coming soon.

My articles on ASL appeared in At the Point, Fire For Effect, Critical Hit, and The General. I wrote the AREA News and Avaloncon ASL tourney reviews that appeared for some years for The General, the ASL Annual and the Boardgamer. I published Recon and Sioux Empire ASL News for years, started the Sioux City/Magecon gaming convention 20 years ago. I was also GM for the Avaloncon ASL world championships from 1992 to 1998.

Most of it seemed to make some sort of sense at the time. Now I realize I was just whacked.

Hope you enjoy the reviews.

---Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.