Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend I played at the Spanish National Championship. I finished 6th of 21 players, all the top 5 above me being former World and/or National champions.

I played with my proven hobbit-dragonlairs deck. It's a quite conventional and safe deck. Thranduil, Fatty and Sam sack every dragon lair for great items (emerald, orcrist, dragon's bane, mithril coat, isildur's scroll...) and grab wood elves if they have the chance, while Radagast's company muster easterlings, men of dorwinion, and some horses and dogs. In normal circunstances I'm able to call after 4 turns with about 30 MP. Standard hazard mix versus hero and character tapping versus minion.

I had the luck to play against Kike in the first round, him being one of the top world players (I enjoy that kind of hard games). He plays an almost unbeatable Sauron deck. I had almost no chances to beat him, but I hoped to put him in difficulties. It was not the case, Kike had a perfect drawing and I had to concede the game when Kike was about to call on his third turn. Kike got Lobelia in the table before I did, and before I could play retreat to mordor he already played twice pilfer something unwatched to remove both Sam and Fatty from play. 6-0 TP then for Kike. In this tournament Kike tied Libra's record of 29 TP in five rounds, that means doubling his opponent's MP in his first four games and at least having 50% more MP than his opponent in his final game. That's quite a feat given the level of the players in the tournament.

In my second round I played against Miguel, who played a deck very similar to my own (another hobbits in dragonland version). This time I had a perfect drawing, I called on my fourth turn and I barely left him play anything. So 6-0 for me.

Third round against Manuel, another top player. Manuel played a squatting Balrog deck. I had a bad drawing again (funny thing my worst draws are always against the best players, hehe), playing Radagast on my third turn only. Also, Manuel caught my hobbit company defenceless (which is very strange with my deck, I use to end my games with it unscathed) at lonely mountain and I faced two ahunt dragons. Lucky Manuel failed all body checks, but I lost several precious turns which I could not afford to lose. 41-31 MP in the end so 4-2 TP for Manuel.

Luck wanted that I faced my wife Sara on the fourth round as we both had 8 TP (several other players did, too) at that point of the tournament. Needless to say that it was a lose-lose game for me She played a very competitive fallen Radagast deck so I couldn't play Radagast on my deck, making it more slow. But I knew her deck by heart (because I did construct it) and I was well aware of its weaknesses. I had no mercy and I scored another 6-0.

At that point the tournament was very interesting. Except for Kike who was 24 TP after four rounds, the other 3 positions to get into the final (top 4) were still available to many players. Including myself! My last game was against Alberto who played hero as well. I had a bad drawing but Alberto's one was really terrible. I only played Radagast in the third turn, but he didn't play his wizard in the whole game. It was going to be an easy 6-0 game for me but I did a silly mistake in the last turn. We were competing for the same resources but I was getting them faster. It was likely that Alberto would try to influence some faction away from me so I sideboarded wizard's laughter. Alberto traveled to shrel kain with one of his companies to influence my men of dorwinion away, but I stopped him with rivers. Next turn he stayed there, I played several hazards but I couldn't stop him to make the influence attempt. I had 7 GI free, Gloin had 2 DI free and a muster, and Alberto revealed the faction in his hand. So he had to roll just one more than me. He rolled a 10 and I a 9. Just then I noticed that I didn't refill my hand after his last movement hazard phase, I did and there was the wizard's laughter! Alberto (very sportman-like) offered me to replay the site phase, but as we had already rolled the dice it wasn't fair so I lost that faction. And that prevented me to make a perfect score, so 5-1 TP for me. Alberto finished 7th having played against 4 of the top 6 players, tough tournament for him.

I finished the tournament with 19 TP. There was a triple tie for the third place at 20 TP. I wouldn't have make it into the finals even though I had 20 TP as well. As I'm used to, I finished one step below the top players. I'll have another chance later this month, Online World Championships awaits me!

EDIT: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Decklists! Pictures! Who won? Who was the Top 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kris. I'm waiting for the pictures too

After the qualifying round:

1st Kike 29 TP (minion)
2nd Tarkin 25 TP (hero)
3rd Agustín 20 TP (minion)
4th Manuel 20 TP (minion)
5th Jordi 20 TP (fallen)

TOP 4
1st Tarkin 10 TP (minion)
2nd Agustín 10 TP (hero)
3rd Manuel 9 TP (hero)
4th Kike 7 TP (minion)

So Miguel (Tarkin) is the new Spanish Champion. The finals were very hard as you can see:

TOP 4
1st round
Tarkin – Agus: 4-2
Kike – Manuel: 3-3

2nd round
Tarkin – Manuel: 2-4
Agus – Kike: 4-2

3rd round
Tarkin – Kike: 4-2
Agus – Manuel: 4-2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wauw, not a single 5-1 or 6-0 in the finals ... hard-fought indeed. My congrats to Miguel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Wauw, not a single 5-1 or 6-0 in the finals ... hard-fought indeed. My congrats to Miguel!

It's pretty normal for good CCGs to be decided in 3-4 turns, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my games. 13-14 maybe. Don't know how they do it. Glad we haven't found it out yet actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Competitive games are almost a race to get to 25 MP and exhaust the deck in the least turns possible (2 turns is not unheard of with an eriador express deck, but it's very difficult though). Think that in these games a lot of things happen each turn, usually each player has 3-4 companies (can be more) moving at once. Time limit is usually about 90 minutes per round and it's not unusual to reach that limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Kempf
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:

Luck wanted that I faced my wife Sara on the fourth round as we both had 8 TP (several other players did, too) at that point of the tournament. Needless to say that it was a lose-lose game for me She played a very competitive fallen Radagast deck so I couldn't play Radagast on my deck, making it more slow. But I knew her deck by heart (because I did construct it) and I was well aware of its weaknesses. I had no mercy and I scored another 6-0.

Uuuh, i do not envy that situation!

But congratulations, Jose! The spannish community is the strongest national one in the world and finishing 6th is a huge success!

Any objections to posting/linking this on the CoE forum? There are few english reports of spannish tournaments and few people who are present on the geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dominic

Sure you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.