Shane Steely
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a decent chance I may end up moving to the Birmingham area and was curious as to the gaming stores/groups there. Haven't found much about any local game stores so far. So if anyone is in the area and knows where the gaming action is, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Tuscaloosa, about an hour west of Birmingham. I am moving away shortly but will tell you what I found about game stores over the past three years.

There was a pretty good game store called Nord's Games in the Galleria Mall (main enclosed mall in the area in a southern suburb), but it's now vacant and I'm not sure what happened. When the store was open, there were always kids playing Magic: The Gathering nearby and they always had the latest games.

Homewood Toy & Hobby has some Eurogames, but really you will find the same selection at Barnes & Noble these days. It definitely merits a visit if you are interested in railroads, other types of models, or interesting toys, though. Homewood is one of the nearest suburbs and has excellent shopping and dining in general.

In Vestavia (another near suburb) there is supposed to be a place called Legion, but I've never been there.

Here in Tuscaloosa there is a game store called Crimson Castle. It's worth a visit if you are out here.

The wargame publisher Avalanche Press recently relocated to Birmingham from Virginia Beach, which coincidentally is my home town. When we were both in Virginia Beach, Avalanche did not make much of an impact on the local game stores--as in, you would not have suspected they were in town--and I suspect the situation will be the same in Birmingham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sheets
United States
Pinson
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The place to go to find about the two groups are:

http://www.meetup.com/theBBG/

There are basically two-ish groups that both use that meetup group for their meetings. The monday group is a more eurogames crowd and the friday/saturday crowd is a more relaxed boardgame group. That said there are lots of overlap where people go to both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding stores - yes, Nord's is very closed. I work in the same building and saw them do a Baltimore Colts style exit almost overnight. Legion is in the Cahaba Heights area and they have a decent selection as well, though they seem to focus more on comics, RPGs, and miniatures. They actually have 2 separate spaces in the same strip, so be sure to go to the one on the left.

You can also post in the Birmingham, AL, USA Guild. It's not that active, but it does have 38 members and you'll definitely get a response. If you list or point to the types of games you're interested, I'm sure you'll get some follow-up. We have a pretty diverse group of gamers, so I'm sure you'll be able to plug in somewhere. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Steely
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've joined the meetup group and will put all the mentioned stores on my list to check out if we move there. Will probably know one way or the other by the end of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Murphy
msg tools
Actually, Magic City Games is getting ready to open up in January! So if you hold off for a few months, your patience will be rewarded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls