Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
RULING FROM COREY:
"Due to some odd repercussions (such as Roslin's ability), I'm going to have to change my stance on my earlier ruling. Players CAN play quorum cards, even if there is no legal target. This is usually a good way to get tossed in the brig, but is necessary in certain circumstances."

(Edit)
Corey further commented when pressed: "When you play a Quorum card, you must choose a legal target if able."

This answers the question raised "What happens if Roslin uses her OPG and draws 4 quorum cards that she can't play?" Because now there is no such thing. Cylons, feel free to waste the Presidential Pardons and Authorizations of Brutal Force as desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Age of Empires fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: University of UtahMicrobadge: Bacon lover
Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
Huh? I don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Age of Empires fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: University of UtahMicrobadge: Bacon lover
So Roslin could use her OPG and use Authorize Brutal Force or Pres Pardon and claim that it was her only choice even if there wasn't raiders or someone in the brig. She could also be telling the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
You could also play one of those cards at any time you normally could (action or President's Office) even if there is no target on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
Microbadge: Rock ClimberMicrobadge: Aikido fanMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!
More importantly, a Cylon President can use an XO to play a Presidential Pardon to discard, then use Arrest Order on one of the other players. And he doesn't have to worry about the order being countermanded the instant he reveals or loses the Presidency.

Though the new ruling now re-raises the question: If a quorum card is played, and there is a valid target, is it required that a valid target is chosen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
pseudotheist wrote:
More importantly, a Cylon President can use an XO to play a Presidential Pardon to discard, then use Arrest Order on one of the other players. And he doesn't have to worry about the order being countermanded the instant he reveals or loses the Presidency.

Though the new ruling now re-raises the question: If a quorum card is played, and there is a valid target, is it required that a valid target is chosen?
I already thought of that and e-mailed Corey back as soon I got the e-mail from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
+1 to Corey for being quick

"When you play a Quorum card, you must choose a legal target if able."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good stuff. Either way, I hope this is all getting put into the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
When was the last time they actually updated the FAQ? As for the UFAQ, well, it's a Wiki now, go edit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
Pegasus, August. 2009
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Note to self: find "rhetorical question" icon for next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 105 820 974 944 592 307 816 406 286 208 998 628 034 825 342 117 067 982 148 086 513 282 306 647 093 844 609 550 582 231 725 359 408 128 481 117 450 284 102 701 938 521 105 559 644 ...Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
I can still see some nice consequences for this as a cylon.
If you get an XO, play a Presidential Pardon (whoops, no available target!) then an Arrest Order. By wasting the Pardon, the humans can't undo your damage just like that once they get the title from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
MasterDinadan wrote:
I can still see some nice consequences for this as a cylon.
If you get an XO, play a Presidential Pardon (whoops, no available target!) then an Arrest Order. By wasting the Pardon, the humans can't undo your damage just like that once they get the title from you.
Don't make me link to a post earlier in the same thread on the same page... OK, fine, I'll do it. Lazy, Cameron, very lazy.
Look up. Now look down. Back to me. I am a Cylon. Look at your post. It has been ninja'ed. I am on a Battlestar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 105 820 974 944 592 307 816 406 286 208 998 628 034 825 342 117 067 982 148 086 513 282 306 647 093 844 609 550 582 231 725 359 408 128 481 117 450 284 102 701 938 521 105 559 644 ...Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
I skimmed through the thread because I wanted to go hunt down more threads about the new Exodus article. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Doom: The Boardgame fanMicrobadge: Summoner Wars fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign fan - Terror
InfoCynic wrote:
This answers the question raised "What happens if Roslin uses her OPG and draws 4 quorum cards that she can't play?" Because now there is no such thing. Cylons, feel free to waste the Presidential Pardons and Authorizations of Brutal Force as desired.
They should have thought about it!
Any idea how to play in such a case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
vorakesh wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
They should have thought about it!
Any idea how to play in such a case?
In what case? It is not possible for Roslin to draw four quorum cards she can't play, because a quorum card can always be played (just not necessarily resolved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Doom: The Boardgame fanMicrobadge: Summoner Wars fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign fan - Terror
Hm, but Roslin's OPG ability states: Draw 4 Quorum cards. Choose 1 to resolve and place the rest on the bottom of the deck.
And there are situations (at least one) where you can't resolve any of the drawn quorum cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Just because there is no valid target doesn't mean the card was not resolved.

For example, if I have no cards in hand and I choose a crisis result that causes me to discard 5, I don't have to anything but the crisis has still been resolved and goes to the discard.

Same thing applies here. Roslin just resolves as much of the quorum card as she can, and then it's discarded (unless it remains in play of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
I thought this was in the UFAQ. Roslin can choose to play a card that would effectily have no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
Just because there is no valid target doesn't mean the card was not resolved.

For example, if I have no cards in hand and I choose a crisis result that causes me to discard 5, I don't have to anything but the crisis has still been resolved and goes to the discard.

Same thing applies here. Roslin just resolves as much of the quorum card as she can, and then it's discarded (unless it remains in play of course).
'Corey further commented when pressed: "When you play a Quorum card, you must choose a legal target if able." '
Sorry, I have overlooked "if able". You are right, of course.
Danath wrote:
I thought this was in the UFAQ. Roslin can choose to play a card that would effectily have no effect.
Thanks! Where can I find the UFAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The original ruling was that you could not play Qcards for no effect, but this had to be changed, and now the ruling is that you can play a card for no effect, but you must apply the effect if you can (but if choosing from 4 cards for example you could choose one with no effect if you didn't like the rest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
InfoCynic wrote:
The original ruling was that you could not play Qcards for no effect, but this had to be changed, and now the ruling is that you can play a card for no effect, but you must apply the effect if you can (but if choosing from 4 cards for example you could choose one with no effect if you didn't like the rest).
Now it's perfectly clear to me. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls