14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: English version games in Germany rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
linus ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm currently in Germany and would like to buy English board games before I go back. Where can I find shops that sell English version board games? Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would have thought they'd be quite rare*. An alternative approach would be to pick up games that have a low language dependency and freely available English rules to download.

* Edit - games that are specifically in English that is. Many games companies often print rule books in multiple languages though - just check the boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean local stores ? If so you should mention where exactly you are staying. You then might get some info about local gaming stores which often have some english games in their selection. The larger department stores (Karstadt, Kaufhof) only carry german games and only a few of them have english rules included.

If you have an address suitable for a delivery you could order online. There are several online shops that have a large selection of english games like www.milan-spiele.de, www.cosimshop.de or www.magierspiele.de (just to name a few).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out any Galeria Kaufhof shopping center. If you are lucky you can find some international edition Queen games there, normally at reduced prices down to 5 Euros.

Otherwise, good luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.... could you tell me where you're staying? That might help a lot.

While the big mainstream chains do not stock English games, there are many dedicated FLGS that offer a wide variety of foreign titles. Perhaps there is one in your town / area.

Of course, if your stay is a bit longer, you might also try buying online, as there are many good online shops in Germany that sell many English boardgames and rpgs in addition to German ones. Just make sure that you can pay via paypal and/or credit card. Shipping time should take 1-3 days at most, depending on where you are, what day of the week you order, and how fast the store ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
icube wrote:
Hi, I'm currently in Germany and would like to buy English board games before I go back. Where can I find shops that sell English version board games? Thanks in advance
shops like "fantasy encounter" - [Essen, Northrhinewestfalia (www.fanen.com)] have a variety of english games in their shelves.

there are similar shops in other regions, just check them out or wait for other geeks recommendations.

ciao

martin m.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hegel wrote:
Check out any Galeria Kaufhof shopping center. If you are lucky you can find some international edition Queen games there, normally at reduced prices down to 5 Euros.

Otherwise, good luck...
That depends on the town... I've never, ever seen any english boardgames here in Bremen at Karstadt, Kaufhof or any other "big" store. Videogames - yes. But boardgames? Nope. Only german versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
TEIGNMOUTH
Devon
flag msg tools
Taunton Marathon 2009
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
icube wrote:
Look at www.playme.de and put "eng" into the search field. That will give you an idea of what is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linus ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm currently staying in saarbrucken, I wouldn't mind travelling a little further to get the games as I have an extra day on my German Rail Pass. I will definitely check out the local Galleria. I will be in Frankfurt on Thursday and would fly back on that night, so time is not on my side at this point of time. I just want to see if there is one nearby shop that I can do some light shopping, it's not a definite must to get the games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr'lex
Germany
Geestland
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad, in Bremerhaven we would have had a shop carrying english games.

But: Saarbrücken -> Bremerhaven, a little bit too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try finding these two shops, maybe they've got something:

X-Comics GmbH
Am Beethovenparkplatz
66111 Saarbrücken
phone: 0681-35157
E-Mail: ladensb@x-comics.de
http://www.x-comics.de/

ZOCK! Der Spieleladen
Großherzog-Friedrich-Str. 19
66111 Saarbrücken
phone: 0681/9581002
-no homepage-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Lind
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, another thing to consider is that english games in Germany are most likely imported there so they are not necessarily cheaper there than in Singapore.
I will instead repeat what someone else said, try to find non-language dependant games instead, so that you just have to print out english rules. Quite a lot of game designers have that in mind when designing games these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conbarris wrote:
Also, another thing to consider is that english games in Germany are most likely imported there so they are not necessarily cheaper there than in Singapore.
I will instead repeat what someone else said, try to find non-language dependant games instead, so that you just have to print out english rules. Quite a lot of game designers have that in mind when designing games these days.
I agree

I've found a bunch of great - and very cheap - games in Germany, which I'd otherwise never had picked up, and only because they looked language-independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOCK! has shut down as far as I know.
At least it wasn't there anymore bout a year ago and I wouldn't know about a reopening.

X-Comics mostly has - well - Comics. Also Merchandise and GW-Products.
Some RPGs and maybe a dozen Boardgames. I think I saw Smallworld there some Munchkin Stuff and some rarer things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls