Subject: Best BC Gaming Store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so this isn't really game group related, but it's an obvious forum on the geek that us BC'ers can use to talk to other BC'ers.

So what I am wondering is this:

1) What's your local gaming store called?
2) What are their prices and selection like?
3) Are they online?
4) Where are they located?
5) When is their gaming night? Do you go?

What I'm hoping to accomplish here is compiling a list of the best / worst gaming stores in BC, so we know where to shop for the best selection and price. It seems that online shipping fees really put a dent in the low US prices, and a lot of the brick and motar stores in BC are really expensive and have mediocre selections. I'm all for supporting the local stores (I mean really - who wants to wait 1-3 weeks for their game(s) to arrive? ), but I also know I'd own a lot more games if I could actually find them and/or afford them at some of these places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get us started:

1) Imperial Hobbies
2) Good selection, Moderate-High prices
3) Yes, with online ordering (www.imperialhobbies.ca)
4) No 3 Rd, Richmond
5) Friday nights. No, cuz I live in Abbotsford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Beachcomber Abbotsford
2) Poor selection, Extremely high prices
3) Yes, but no ordering (www.familyrecreation.com)
4) South Fraser Way, Abbotsford
5) They don't have one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Geeklist on ALL Canadian Retail Outlets. I hope it's helpful!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting for somebody to post this list. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover a lot of the retailers in BC (Triple Play and Pastime Hobbies, for instance). In fact it looks like there're only 3-4 BC retailers there. I was hoping to get a larger selection going here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Suderman
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Drexoll Games
2) Good selection, Moderate to high prices
3) Yes, but no ordering (www.drexollgames.com)
4) Vancouver, Kitsilano
5) Lots - http://www.drexollgames.com/play.shtml

I live in Abbotsford as well. I've resigned myself to ordering from the US - mostly gamefest.com.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little off topic but folks seem to be interested in the on-line ordering possibilities. There is a store in Alberta that takes online orders and would that mean no PST and/or no CCRS hassles?

http://www.boardgames.ca/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Skyhaven Games

Big on the ccgs and miniatures(collectable) and board games. Now lately into rpgs as well. Prices are very reasonable, mike makes sure of that.

3) Are they online?

Sort of, they have their own bbs.
http://skyhavengames.proboards19.com/

Skyhaven Games™ 3458/3460 Tillicum Rd. Victoria, BC., V8Z 4H3 Tel: (250) 477-1519.

Every night! But I go wednesdays, sometimes tuesday nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Craving for a Game - not local to me but it is sort of on my way home.

2. Not sure - i really don't have anything to compare to because it's the only place I go for games.

3. www.cravingforagame.ca but there isn't on-line buying.

4. Central City Mall (formerly Surrey Place Mall)

5. Wednesday nights from 6:00-9:00 pm. When I can make it i'll be there!

Buck Lum is the owner of the store. Give him a call 604.580.2856.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Roberts
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools

Craving for a Game

Prices are very comparable to other stores... I havent noticed any over inflated prices

3) Are they online?

yup, as per the prexious post about them www.cravingforagame.ca

Surrey centre mall

any time is gaming time at craving... Buck loves games (and loves to play them, it would seem) and every time I've been in there, he's been willing to show me some fun obscure game...

Best part about the store is buck is willing to hunt down those hard to find games for you, and most of the games in store can be rented out and tested before being bought (assuming you dont have time to just test them in the store)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Hobbies game night is Wednesdays, though they are on hold right now, as the Store Manager's wife just had a baby this summer, and he doesn't want to stay late.

Craving for a Game - I thought they started at 5 on Wednesdays?

Deborah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gauvin
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drexoll Games

Prices High compared to Internet, but reasonable compared to other stores

3) Are they online?

Yes, www.drexollgames.com

Port Coquitlam, Westwood Center

Fridays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Ages 3 and up at Metrotown in Burnaby. It's around the corner from the foodcourt, same floor. They don't have a huge selection of boardgames but they are expanding. I'd bought a game at the new Drexoll games that opened up in PoCo and went to Ages 3 and Up only to find the same game for 15$ cheeper. Drexoll is way too expensive. I'd only buy there if I couldn't get the game somewhere else.

Cheers!
Jeff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
Check out Ages 3 and up at Metrotown in Burnaby. It's around the corner from the foodcourt, same floor. They don't have a huge selection of boardgames but they are expanding. I'd bought a game at the new Drexoll games that opened up in PoCo and went to Ages 3 and Up only to find the same game for 15$ cheeper. Drexoll is way too expensive. I'd only buy there if I couldn't get the game somewhere else.
Jeff, have you been to this store recently?

I was in downtown Burnaby today and decided to stop into Metrotown to check it out. The map displays don't show that store, but I did find it in a store directory pamphlet. The area the pamphlet says it's in has no shop by that name, but there is a closed-up shop with a torn-down sign that looks like it might have said "Ages Three And Up".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the prices at boardgames.ca definitely on the high side. Especially compared to e-retailers. I'd sooner wait a couple more days and get much better prices from someone like germangames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Glynn
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Agree with Kevin, go with German Games if in Canada. No brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Drexoll is pretty great. Friendly and informed owners help a lot. Gaming area available. Yay Drexoll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
JeffTimothy wrote:

I was in downtown Burnaby today and decided to stop into Metrotown to check it out. The map displays don't show that store, but I did find it in a store directory pamphlet. The area the pamphlet says it's in has no shop by that name, but there is a closed-up shop with a torn-down sign that looks like it might have said "Ages Three And Up".
Hey Booned,

Sorry for the SUPER LATE reply!, jeeze 2 months!! Ages 3 and up is still in Metrotown. They've moved to a bigger spot. If you walk away from the food court staying on the same level (one end of the food court is a dead end pretty much with just an escalator going down, go the other direction) Ages 3 and up used to be down the left wing. Instead of going left, leave the foodcourt and hang a right, stick to the right and you'll walk right past it on your right hand side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well no local gaming store here for me. The closest one is 125km's North in Prince George.

Great White Entertainment

Selection is ok. I'm sure they are willing to special order. Prices are definitely on the high side. Joys of being the only "game" in town.

Like most places you really have to know what the going rate is for somethings before going into that store. Some prices are lower than others I have seen online others are quite abit higher. For instance, I noticed Dork Tower was $20USD online in the US. At this store it is $69.99CDN +tax. Carcassonne was $33.99 and the expansions (Inns and Cathedrals) was $18.99CDN.

3) Are they online?

Not that I am aware of.

Inside Pine Centre Mall (it's the only mall in PG)

Not sure but games seem to go on daily. Being in a mall may limit what times they can be open for "gaming night". Most of the games seem to be Miniatures (particularly Warhammer and such). Games seem to be played upstairs out of sight of the main store area.

This store seems to have LOTS in the way of CCG's and Warhammer etc miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buck has a new website, with online shopping now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a new FLGS here. So I don't have to travel all the way to PG (although I do frequently for work).

Sober Dwarf

Prices seem to be quite competitive with other flgs' I've seen online and have even been competitive with online retailers when you calculate in shipping and handling. I've been quite happy with the prices so far.

3) Are they online?

Unfortunately not yet. Their website does say "Coming soon" however (that is their whole website is "coming soon" not just online shopping).

Quesnel, BC

Don't believe they have one. Not sure if their store would be able to handle it due to lack of size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:

Hi Darryl -- I was there about a week ago. It's right next to Toys R Us in the basement level. So you may have been in the wrong area? Or maybe it really did shut down the very next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balthus_Dire wrote:
I think Drexoll in Vancouver is the best boardgaming store in Canada, for selection, atmosphere, events, open gaming, service, etc. I even prefer it to the stunning Le Valet Des Coeur in Montreal, although that one is also extremely good, and definitely my second choice. I mostly have experience with the main game stores in the larger cities in Canada.
I really didn't want to be negative here, but I have to a little bit.

Drexoll used to be my absolutely favourite store (both locations - you can even see me in one of the photos on their website if that gives you any idea how much time I used to spend there). The stores are big, well-lit, and have a large selection (especially the PoCo store, it seems).

But lately, not so much. Why? Well, as someone commented on a similar thread, their prices are indisputably the highest of any of the major local stores (Craving for a Game, The Connection, Strategies, Mishra's, etc), but price isn't everything if you get great service, right?

The thing is, at The Connection and Craving for a Game I started getting first name service within about the 3rd visit to each. They greet me warmly at the door, remember the kinds of games I like, and tell me about new stuff they've gotten in which I'd enjoy. At Strategies, I don't have quite the relationship with the staff, but the owner taught me how to play Galaxy Trucker when I expressed some interest in it.

At Drexoll, I'm seldom greeted or approached, and despite the great service I used to get there (when I was a new re-entrant to the boardgame world and needed a lot of help), these days if I ask for a recommendation, the reaction (from both Darcy at the main store, and his main Saturday person at the PoCo store) is that I'm interrupting something.

Perhaps they've just spent too much time at the top, but in my opinion Mike and Rida at Connections, and Buck at Craving for a Game, leave them in the dust.

These days, if I stop into Drexoll to look around, I'll intentionally hold off my purchase until a game night at The Connection or Craving, because those guys deserve my business. And when I realized I was paying less as well (it honestly took me a couple of purchases before I caught on), it was like the icing on the cake.

So, to spin this back the happy way, I'd have to nominate both Craving for a Game and The Connection:

1) What's your local gaming store called? Craving for a Game
2) What are their prices and selection like? Selection is the best I've ever seen. Prices are competitive, and the owner often gives discounts to repeat customers or regular game night attendees
3) Are they online? http://www.cravingforagame.ca/
4) Where are they located? Surrey Central Mall
5) When is their gaming night? Do you go? Wednesdays, but as someone mentioned, there are people willing to play games with you (including the owner) at any time of day or week. I attended pretty regularly this summer, before a recurring commitment on Wednesday evenings got in the way.

1) What's your local gaming store called? The Connection
2) What are their prices and selection like? Selection is good, prices are the best in town (due to strategic distributor relationships, allegedly)
3) Are they online? http://www.theconnectiongames.com/
4) Where are they located? two stores, 8283 Granville St. and 5395 Victoria Dr.
5) When is their gaming night? Do you go? Mondays on Granville, and Tuesdays on Victoria. I go to both pretty regularly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Calder
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After being a member of a couple gaming groups for years, I started my own recently. As a result, I had to pick up some games to fill out my collection.

I shopped around online, on the phone and in person for a little over a week with varying levels of customer service and selection. My results:

Craving for a Game. After a few e-mails and a phone call, Buck was the most responsive, the most friendly and the most genuine of any interaction, period. He was a gracious host in his store, immediately introducing me and included me in a game that was going on with a few other members there (as a spectator, but still involved me). He enlisted comments from other gamers about a game I was inquiring about and was very accommodating.

The selection is excellent, especially for the kinds of games I like (Agricola, Carcassonne, Catan, Caylus, 6 Nimmt, etc). While the prices are not the lowest in the market, the service more than makes up for it.

3) Are they online?
As previously noted: http://www.cravingforagame.ca/

Surrey Central Mall

Wednesdays. I went for the first time this past Wednesday and felt like part of the group quite quickly. Very friendly crowd. Will be a regular in no time. :)

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grumpy Bear
Canada
flag msg tools

All About Board Games
11300 No. 5 Road, Richmond (Pick-up location?)

allaboutboardgames@shaw.ca

My friend recommended them to me and I have been buying games from them since last Christmas and I ordered some more this year.

I think they operate this as a side thing but was told that they are in the progress of launching their online store. The reasons I order from them because close to where I live and work (they also have a pick-up location in downtown), responsive to my emails, and seem to be knowledgable of most board games. Of coz, price.

Basically, I email them the games that I am looking to buy and then they email me back a price quote and if they have it in stock. Exactly, I usually buy with them because their prices are cheap compared to other retailers. I don't think they have an actual store but so far I was able to get majority of my games from them.

3) Are they online?

I just email them. However, I think they are launching their online store soon.

Richmond and downtown Vancouver

I don't know. No, I usually have my own family gaming nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |