United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
There is a date limit, but it's a little ridiculous IMO.

The date limit for this year was:
All games released in 2009 or later which have not previously won a golden geek award (nominated but lost is OK).
That is only the automated "first cut" list. During the nomination phase, when the members of BGG determine the list of 10 nominees in each category (so we have only ourselves to blame if we see a problem), members can add any game that hasn't won in the past. I've nominated games from 40 or more years ago. If enough people did that, they could make the short list of 10, but of course that doesn't happen.

I see nothing wrong with the current process. Nothing at all.

The key is game of the year as in 2010. I would agree with you if this award was "this year's game choice". I wouldn't mind a category like "this years hidden Gem" where the game has to be something released from the past. It seems weird to have enough people nominate Dune and have it potentially win.

Ah what the hell, for the heck of it I ask the masses on BGG to nominate the game "Dune" so we can have a real classic as BGG game of the year.

I can see it now, some smart a$^34 nominating Candyland for BGG Strategy Game of the Year just to prove a point...that would be awesome! Talk about gaming the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
I think with so many new games these days (700 in Essen alone this year according to some reports), we should never be in need of reaching for more than a 365-day period. I could see reaching back as far as 2009, but a 2007 game (i.e. ZIMP)? Really?

Given that, I'm happy for Hansa T, very deserving Game of the Year (Or is it "Best Game declared in 2010"? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? Where can we see the nominees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
There is a date limit, but it's a little ridiculous IMO.

The date limit for this year was:
All games released in 2009 or later which have not previously won a golden geek award (nominated but lost is OK).
That is only the automated "first cut" list. During the nomination phase, when the members of BGG determine the list of 10 nominees in each category (so we have only ourselves to blame if we see a problem), members can add any game that hasn't won in the past. I've nominated games from 40 or more years ago. If enough people did that, they could make the short list of 10, but of course that doesn't happen.

I see nothing wrong with the current process. Nothing at all.

The real problem here is that a game that releases in January through October of a given year has two chances to win, where a game that release in November - December of the same year has only chance (the next year). If you aren't on the list of games that makes the automated cut, you're not going to get enough write-in votes either.

That and the fact that community has really no standards but just votes for whatever they feel like, so a popular game that's been out for 18 months is competing against a game that's been out for 2 weeks. Of course, as shown ,the 2-week old can win, but I still don't think that means the system is working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ansbach wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/580271/golden-geek-finalists...

Has a list of the nominees for GOTY which presumably includes the top 3 games in each subcategory. I don't know where to find a list of the nominees for each category anymore, someone might be able to dig up the thread for you. I can only tell you what I voted for, and that I remember small world being nominated for just about every single category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Ansbach wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/580271/golden-geek-finalists...

Has a list of the nominees for GOTY which presumably includes the top 3 games in each subcategory. I don't know where to find a list of the nominees for each category anymore, someone might be able to dig up the thread for you. :) I can only tell you what I voted for, and that I remember small world being nominated for just about every single category.

Well, it's a multi-layered process. There was a phase where people could nominate up to 15 games (any game) in each category. The top 10 vote-getters from that were on the official ballot. I made a geek list showing the BGG data on each of those nominated games and you can find it here: 2010 Golden Geek Nominees - By the Numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Chaos in the Old World shut out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe those that have great issue with the ridiculousness of some older games winning an award should just organise their own award if they really care so much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Board Game Geek there are two versions of Zombie In My Pocket

1) Single player, print and play version, released in 2007

2) Multiplayer, non print-and-play version, released in 2010

The confusion for me is:

Is it the best game released in 2010
Is it the best print and play game as of 2010?

I can understand the non print and play multiplayer version being in the nominations, but then it should not be in that category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innocent Bystander wrote:
Maybe those that have great issue with the ridiculousness of some older games winning an award should just organise their own award if they really care so much...

Wow, I can't believe somebody said that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have to pick one, go for Hansa Teutonica. It is my all-time favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
I am sorry but I think it is a total joke that a deluxe release (War of the Ring) won two categories. No new rules, no new anything, just a super fancy deluxe version. Can't we stick with the idea that "game of the year" be something that was released that year (or perhaps Essen during the previous year because Essen releases are so late in the year). This feels like the awards are for the most hyped or most sold games not necessarily the best games. Of course that is purely my opinion and I am sure not a popular one on BGG.

Agreed. It's completely nonsensical that the award was basically just won for pretty components. It would be fine in a category for "Best Deluxe Re-Release" or "Best Bits" or such, but definitely not as the best game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.