Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're headed to Denver. Any great game stores there I might want to check out? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best I know of is Attactix, in Aurora (Hampden & Chambers).

Another good one is Valhalla Games in Lakewood. There's also the Wizard's Chest in Cherry Creek, though it's not quite as "hobbyish".

In the "musty and outdated" category is Bonnie Brae Hobbies in Englewood (near Hampden and Broadway). They have a ton of old-school wargames, many of them used, but also seem to keep up on euros and other stuff (minis, CCGs, etc.).

I would also consider http://www.timewellspent.org, which is an online store but allows warehouse pickups. Great folks there. In fact, I would consider them even if you're not coming to Denver....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve-

If you're going to be here Tuesday evening anytime from ~5:30 to 10:00, please drop by the Borders on Parker and Arapahoe. The DenverGames group meets there every Tuesday to play tons of games, and they (we?) are without exception very friendly and welcoming.

Hope to see you there.
Tim

www.denvergames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those I would list are the same that Jon mentioned. Here's my take, which isn't really much different:

Attactix: Very nice selection of Euro and American style games. Probably the largest of anyone in the area outside of TimeWellSpent. They also have a great selection of miniatures and RPGs if you're into that. They have a very knowledgable staff but they are mostly familiar with the RPG/minis/CCG aspects of the hobby than the boardgames. Sort of a typical game store in that regard. They have a open play area but it is dominated by the RPG/CCG crowd. They tried a boardgame night about a year ago but it really flopped.

Valhallas: They don't have the selction that Attactix does but they have a huge open play area. A lot of miniatures guys play here as well as the ever present CCG crowd but you also get a decent amount of boardgame playing going on here on certain nights.

Wizards Chest: They don't have quite the selection that you'll find at Attactix but they still carry a lot of boardgames. They also do some minis stuff as well as CCGs. Their selection of Chess, Go and Backgammon sets is probably the best in Denver. They have tables for open play and every 3rd week of the month they do some game demos so if you want to check out something new it might be worth playing it here first to see if you like it. They also have a discount card where if you play some of their demos they punch a card for you and then once you get a certain number of punches they give you a gift certificate for the store (something like $20 or so). I guess the most interesting thing about this place is that they carry lots of other . . . . . . things is the best way to describe it. Juggling pieces, yo-yos, magic tricks, rubber snakes (and chickens!!), you name it. Just a lot of stuff. They also have one of the best selections of costumes and theatrical makeup in Denver. Interesting store to say the least. Probably the only game store in existence where you actually have a fairly good change of spotting a sports celebrity shopping, especially around Halloween.

Bonnie Brae Hobbies: They are no longer in the Bonnie Brae neighborhood but they kept the name when they moved. This place used to be one of the strangest game stores I had ever seen. It was like going to a big garage sale held by an old wargamer. Most of the store had a nice layer of dust covering everything but you could really find some treasures here if you looked. They had old wargaming magazines and books about this war or that or how to paint this piece of military hardware or that one. And at that time they had a ton of old wargames. They moved to a new place further south and cleaned out a lot of the really old stuff. They are still the place to go if you're looking for an old wargame but they now carry some newer stuff as well.

TimeWellSpent: If you are a gamer and you don't live in the Denver area this place is just about as good of a reason to move here as any I can think of! Dave is a super guy and how can you beat low low prices with the option of no shipping! He even comes down to play with the DenverGames group about once a month or so and will happily deliver games to the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Holmquist
United States
Oreland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Denver last summer for 7 weeks. I looked forward to Tuesday nights to play with the DenverGames group. It was a very open group. I would highly recommend meeting with this group.

The only game store I went to in the area was Valhallas. It had a good selection. The best part about the store was they had gaming in the back room. I went there on a Saturday and found the train game group to be very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
On Vallhallas, recently they have added a bunch more board games. So, it is better than it was even a couple months ago. The best place in Colorado that I have found (although not Denver) is Game Castle in Loveland (which is moving soon, and I hope the board games are not a causulty of the move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Bulbous also tapered?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in Denver the past month and have also enjoyed the Denver Gaming group.

In addition to Tuesday nights, one of the members hosts at his home on Saturdays. Light, quick fare, and heavier stuff. In addition, he hosts what he calls an "epic" game day one Saturday of the month to focus on longer games. A few weeks ago it was Struggle of Empires, and last weekend it was Twilight Imperium III.

Either he'll weigh in with more details, or you can find out more through the group.

Meanwhile...I'm looking forward to some El Grande and/or Age of Steam and/or Princes of the Renaissance tomorrow night before I return home at week's end. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
We also have a good game group in Longmont, just North of Denver. We meet several times a month. Also, in Longmont is Stonebridge Games on main street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

I'd definitely second the timewellspent.org comment. It's not only the pricing, which is the best around, but you can drive up to Broomfield and pick up the games directly from Dave and his wife (they share a warehouse with what looks like fire station equipment!) for NO CHARGE!

I've also shopped at It's Your Move in Southwest plaza shopping mall, and the Forge at Coal Mine and Wadsworth, as well as Colpar Hobbies at Hampden and Wadsworth (I live in the SW corner of greater Denver), and while they're decent stores with some selection (the Forge has euro night on Mondays, and miniatures gaming most of the rest of the week), they really don't compete with TWS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks
These are all great suggestions and helpful insights. I'm only going to be there three days, I'll have my family with me, and I'll be visiting family. So I have a lot of things to balance in my short time. As it is, I'm not going to get to see most of my friends. The schedule for the gaming group at Borders won't work out. My wife just made sure I understood that. Time Well Spent is closed this week for vacation. I'll see if I can pop into one of these other places and spend a little money.

I'll be taking some games with me in case I can indoctrinate my parents or brothers.

Thanks again, everyone.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
everyone has covered the available spots already. I'll just say that Attactix has the best selection of our local stores although they usually only stock 1 copy. I also find it frustrating to browse their selection. Games are "roughly" alphabetical but they are not arranged nicely so you'll be getting a crick in your neck as you walk along the aisle with your neck bent.

The Wizards chest does have a small selection of board games but that store is a BLAST to check out. Lots of fun stuff to see. Very nice chess and go sets as someone mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I'd add one note Steve, Vahalla's is in a northwestern suburb of Denver (Wheat Ridge, not Lakewood) http://www.valhallas.com/location.asp .

Attactix is in the eastern suburb of Aurora as previously mentioned. I think they both have good selections, your choice may very well depend on where your relatives live. Both have game nights / weekends, call the store.

As for Timewellspent, they're describing the warehouse location of an e-tailer. I've never bought from them, I figure, why waste an hour driving 40 miles round trip and passing my local bricks and mortar twice just to "save" 10 bucks? If my local store closes it's doors, will the warehouse let me play before I buy??

But that's another thread, and if you have a list of a dozen games you can't get in Iowa, check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls