Subject: Visiting Japan for a few months rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise Moore
United Kingdom
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Me and my husband are going to be in Tokyo for two months from the middle of December until the middle of February. We're avid gamers and were wondering if anyone fancied meeting up for some gaming, or had recommendations for gaming groups. After learning Japanese for a year I can speak basic Japanese, but I'm far from fluent, and my husband can't speak any Japanese at all.

We're not fussy gamers, we mainly play Euro Games but we will try anything once. Our favourite games include Dominion, Notre Dame, Diamonds Club, Race for the Galaxy, Antiquity, Kingsburg and Settlers.

We'd also appreciate any recommendations for gaming stores in Japan. When we leave Tokyo in the middle of February we intend to travel round other areas in Japan and would love any suggestions of good gaming stores both in Tokyo and other cities.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Nagoya you should pop into Gamestore Banesto. It's my local store and on the Nagoya subway system. Two stops from Nagoya station, change then another 4 stops. Close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louise,

In Tokyo, I have 2 main recommendations:

1. Check out the Yellow Submarine stores, they have one in Akihabara, and one in Shinjuku. Their selections are decent, but in terms of pricing, it would probably be close to MSRP in the US.

2. A slightly less well known place to get board games, but IMO a much bigger selection, is Shosen Book Mart. Basically they're a huge book store, with a part of their 2nd floor set aside for games. This one is a bit trickier to find, and you'll need to take one of the subway lines and get out at the Jimbocho station, and it's a short walk from there. Up the 2nd floor, past the girly mags, will be shelves chock full of board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geekgeek wrote:
2. A slightly less well known place to get board games, but IMO a much bigger selection, is Shosen Book Mart. Basically they're a huge book store, with a part of their 2nd floor set aside for games. This one is a bit trickier to find, and you'll need to take one of the subway lines and get out at the Jimbocho station, and it's a short walk from there. Up the 2nd floor, past the girly mags, will be shelves chock full of board games
This description immediately makes me think of the Olympic Hide and Seek finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Septyn wrote:
geekgeek wrote:
This description immediately makes me think of the Olympic Hide and Seek finals.

Not to derail the thread, but I always get a kick out of that clip, as it was the first castle I was ever able to tour on the isle of Jersey in the Channel Islands!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mb
geekgeek wrote:

2. A slightly less well known place to get board games, but IMO a much bigger selection, is Shosen Book Mart.
I went there yesterday and I have to say that they are *expensive*! Stores like Yellow Submarine (Shinjuku, Akihabara, etc.) and Role & Roll (Akihabara) are much more reasonable. But having said that, are you looking to buy western games in Japan or Japanese games? If the latter, I don't think Shosen carries any more than the other stores.

As for gaming groups, I was gonna recommend that you get in touch with JIGG...but it looks like you found there site on your own and posted a message!

http://jigg.forums-free.com/monthly-gameday-at-castle-tintag...

I attend several Japanese gaming groups but, in all honesty, it would be quite challenging with no Japanese ability...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Yamasaki
Japan
Okazaki
Aichi
flag msg tools
You give me the name then I will search and give one.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lobato wrote:
[q="geekgeek"]
I attend several Japanese gaming groups but, in all honesty, it would be quite challenging with no Japanese ability...
If I have a time and attend same club, I will do my best to trasnlate/comunicate. Sad thing is I have busy days for a while, no time to attend... But feel free to GeekMail me and try me. I will do it with pleasure and passion.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls