Sander
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
1) Formatting helps organize content. I try to include several different categories in my reviews, and find reviews that have bold/colored headers or categories clearly formatted makes it easier to read. I can find information I want easily, and helps break up clutter to make the chunks more digestable.

That!

As a newcomer I read a lot of reviews, because I have no idea which games I might like.

The thing that annoys me most about reviews is that only about 1/3 of them are well formatted.
People hate reading long bits of text.

In my opinion a good review most of all includes:
- Exctinctive titles (e.g. bold, bigger font, color, ...)
- Pictures
- Easy to find conclusion

The best reviewer in my opinion is
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

And an example of a very good review would be this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/328797/kingsburg-a-detailed-...

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interests > Animals > Birds > National > Canada >
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of big pictures breaking up the text of a review; if I want to look closely at a picture, I'll click on it. I use the default geekimage size in my reviews.

I had half an article on writing reviews in my head a while back, but then came to think that people didn't really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't get the Dane Peacock top three reviewers article to load, so here is the link that worked for me:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3257/top-three-plus-bonus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluenose wrote:
I get the impression as well that a lot of reviewers tend to review games that they like; we need more negative reviews! I've bought games based on eulogies only to be disappointed with the final result.
I think this is valid to a point. Many would agree that one should play a game multiple times before reviewing it. For a particularly horrid game, I would not wish that sort of anguish upon anyone.

In this case I see two dominant results. 1) A review based on limited plays, and 2) No review at all. The former many could argue is invalid because "they didn't give it a chance," or some such thing. But isn't the fact that it wasn't worth giving it a chance add validity to the review? The latter just takes the former to the extreme; the game wasn't even worth the time to say how bad it was. And that's how I interpret an absence of reviews. If there isn't anything good said, then there must not be anything good to say.

Now if we're talking about a game with an abundance of overly positive reviews and you find it to be the worst form a bile, then I think it behooves you to express your opinion post haste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How/where do I submit a game review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
How/where do I submit a game review?
Go to the game page. Look in the forums. Post the review to the Reviews subforum.

It's a good idea to take your time and compose the review in a text editor or as a GeekMail (GM) message. Keep in mind that you'll have to use BGG forum formatting eventually; that's the same as GM formatting, but unlike anything else.

See page one of this thread for suggestions on making a better review. Look in the game page gallery for pictures you can use to keep your review from being a "wall of text".

Thanks for reviewing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you want to link to an off-site review like a blog entry, go to the game page, look for the "Web Links" box, click "Add Link" and fill in some forms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the "Review Manifesto" linked in the OP is no longer there. Here's a copy from the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20130512032754/http://www.gamereport.com/tgr24/randomdraw.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a review going through geekmod with a note from the publisher still attached at the bottom about the possibility of winning prizes if you post a review of their game on the web. That's the new manifesto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I spent hours writing a review. I submitted it and it said that it would be pending. However when I go to my contributions in my account and look at board game reviews it says 0 reviews and 0 pending. Did my review not go through? It's okay if it didn't because I saved it in Google Docs anyway just in case but I don't know if I should resubmit or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
yatescory wrote:
Yesterday I spent hours writing a review. I submitted it and it said that it would be pending. However when I go to my contributions in my account and look at board game reviews it says 0 reviews and 0 pending. Did my review not go through? It's okay if it didn't because I saved it in Google Docs anyway just in case but I don't know if I should resubmit or not.

It should be fine. I don't think the 'pending' total has ever worked for me. Plus these days it can take days for a review to pass through the congested colon of Geekmod. Don't resubmit it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

If it's for Keyflower, then it is still going thru the Geekmod process

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |