Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Quek
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'm currently on holiday in california. I have tried Walmart and Target, but I can't seem to find any boardgames except monopoly. Could anyone tell me where to buy games?
I'm currently at Anaheim, and will be travelling to San deigo, Santa Monica and finally San Francisco.
Thanks very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In San Francisco you will want to stop by Just Awesome. If you have time you can also take BART (subway) to Berkeley to see Games of Berkeley or Oakland to see End Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Gamescape in San Francisco. If you can get south a ways, try Gator Games in San Mateo, or Game Kastle in San Jose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're driving down from Anaheim, Pair-a-Dice Games is maybe 10 minutes out of your way in Vista (once you get to Oceanside, take 78 east a few miles to the Plaza Dr exit, make a left, drive maybe half a mile and turn in when you see the In-N-Out Burger)

Depending how far south you go to San Diego, Game Empire or the game store in Old Town are worth a look as well. The latter is probably close to some touristy spots.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in Anaheim there's also Brookhurst Hobbies nearby in Garden Grove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're passing through Santa Barbara on your way up the coast, check out The Game Seeker. I'm friends with the owners. They're good people. If you do stop there, say hi to Lisa for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While not directly on your way, Game Empire in Pasadena (http://www.gameempirepasadena.com/) is a good place to visit, and it's not that far from Anaheim (45 minutes by car) or LA downtown (25 minutes). and Pasadena itself is worth a short visit as well.

They also have a store in San Diego, never been there, but may be as good as the Pasadena one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you travel south from Anaheim to San Diego, there is an awesome store in the Laguna Hills mall (shortly after the 5 and the 405 intersect). Great variety and selection, and surprisingly great prices for a store in the mall. There are plenty of loose dice and prototyping components and all kinds of cool stuff there. I believe it is called Game Masters or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Brookhurst. I popped in there while on vacation a few weeks ago and they were great. A huge selection for an type of gaming hobby you might be into. Very cool store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brookhurst is a good one. Last time I was there (6+ years ago), it had a great big space and a wide variety of games. I used to haunt that area for game stores, and sadly my two favorites (All Star Games in Diamond Bar, and Game Castle in Fullerton) have shut down. However, I just read that Fullerton is now the home of Dicehouse Games, near the old Game Castle location. Should be worth a look: http://orangecounty.citysearch.com/profile/614394520/fullert...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In San Diego, there's Game Towne (3954 Harney Street 92110). They have a ton of games and what not. There's a bunch of touristry stuff in Old Town too. Come on down! It's currently 70 degrees (21 C) and sunny.

Welcome to the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Birnbaum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're driving from SoCal to San Fran, then you'll likely come through Fresno. If you do, check out Crazy Squirrel Game Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brookhurst and Game Empire are both excellent game stores. But both could be quite a bit out of your way.

Aero Hobbies is IN Santa Monica. It's been there for ages. Sadly, it shows...it's one of those dank and dark game stores of years past. But they do try their best to keep the newest titles in stock.

A bit further away from Santa Monica are a trio of stores in the Burbank/Studio City area: Emerald Knights in Burbank, Knight Ware in Studio City, and The Last Grenadier in Burbank. Each has a different variety of stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat 2187
United States
California
flag msg tools
While you're in Anaheim you'd be remiss by not going to Brookhurst Hobbies. Assuming you're in Anaheim around Harbor and Katella, you can just shoot down south on Harbor to Lampson make a right, take that to Brookhurst and make a right then up over a wash, slight bump in the road and its on your right next to a Karate Dojo place in a line of shops. You'll see various hobby logos painted on the front. It's literally 10-15 minutes away from anywhere in Anaheim.

The Dice House in Fullerton in my opinion is not worth the visit. I drove 30 minutes to try em out and it is a very small shop with a small offering of board games. They seem to favor war gaming, RPG books and CCG's

In the same area there is a store called The Realm off of Imperial Highway in the city of Brea right next to the Brea Mall. It is a round building in a shopping center with a wood shingle style. They have slightly more board games and very much cater to war gamers.

One of my favorite places no one has mentioned is the War House in Long Beach off Long Beach Blvd next to a Bank of America. It's very old, the sign looks dated and the inside is all dusty. They have more board games than Dice House or The Realm but not quite as much as Brookhurst. A very good place to find miniatures, RPG books as well as board games which is why it is a favorite place for me.

Brookhurst has potentially the best pricing right now provided you buy two games. For the most part they are MSRP priced but buy one the 2nd game of equal or lesser value is 20% or 25% I can't quite recall which right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Quek
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. I have some time today before leaving Anaheim for San Diego, I will drop by brookhurst to check it out.
I'm enjoying the US. It's a great country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Quek
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. I have some time today before leaving Anaheim for San Diego, I will drop by brookhurst to check it out.
I'm enjoying the US. It's a great country!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls