José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the radar constantly switch on to search for games that fit on two basic premises:
1) that can be played solitaire and
2) that can be played in an hour or less.
These two conditions are required due to my difficulty to find someone to play (much less a wargame or the sort) and because the free time unfortunately is always limited.

It is also true that until now have found very few good games with these features, except Zulu on the ramparts. Of course, until it appeared on the scene "We Must Tell the Emperor".
This small masterpiece is designed with such mastery that since you set up the game and start to play until just one hour, you're in constant tension and will not raise the head of the board and you are sticked to the chair due to the absorbs power it has over you.

The game sumarises and plays in a concise way the Pacific War from 1941 to 1945. All the rules are explained in just 8 pages with practical examples so that it will not take you a long time you are prepared to lead the Japanese imperial war machine. Yes, because you as a solo player control the army of the Rising Sun and the mechanics of the game controls the allies as another player.

The board represents the entire Pacific Theater (and Southeast Asia ) on a functional, well-made glossy cardboard with some appeal and is very intuitive with makes the game flows with ease.
The counters are not many but enough to give the game a very interesting dynamic and cover 5 Army Fronts or zones: the Chinese front, the British from India through Burma, Malaysia, Hong Kong, the combined army ABDA (American, British, Dutch & Australian) moving through the area of Java, Dutch East Indies, the American front of Mac Arthur, which covers Australia, New Guinea, the Philippines and other American-led by Admiral Nimitz that crosses part of Hawaii and Midway, Solomon Islands, Marshall and thus more archipelagos and islands up to Okinawa.

The Japanese armies have no army counter on the board (except fortifications on some islands) but the designer cleverly planned simulate them abstract with a track marker which shows in each turn the size of your available fighting troops (Army and Navy) the prestige level, that would be a mix of honour and moral very important for the Japanese culture, last but not least the oil supply track which is why the Japanese went to war without that the war machinery could not be feed.

To all that we add 48 events cards (in a decent cardboard material but could be better) than divided by color in three main phases of the war in the Pacific covering the major events and battles (Pearl Harbour, Midway , Guadalcanal, Coral Sea, Leyte, Okinawa, etc.).

In each turn the player draws one event card which is what gives us guidelines of what to do the so called actions, possible advance (attacks) of Allied troops, possibility to modify (increase or decrease) troops / prestige / oil markers, number of actions or commands that you can perform in this particular turn and DRM dice roll modifiers applied to one or more of the allied fronts (or take resources), which helps or hinders the actions of the Japanese player.

The cards allow you to participate in the historic battles, which you can bring benefits but also can come out worse off than they already were.
This game perfectly fulfils in an empirical way that infamous Murphy's Law: "If something can go wrong will go wrong or even worse"

The first phase is very benign for the Japanese as indeed happened historically, the Rising Sun country expands their empire and bend down to all regions in his way with little effort. You will see the Japanese flag flying over the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, part of China, Malaysia and the Dutch East islands.

It is from the second phase and after the Battle of Midway when the game shines at its best and when you get fully into it. when we use a simile imagine you are in a boat that leaks water everywhere and you can only cover a few tracks at once, creating a tension up and have to decide what actions will prevent the fronts move forward and conquer your position dangerously close to Japan, in which case you would lose the game.
You also have to control the steady supply of oil, the level of prestige and the number of combat troops.

Allied fronts are moving slowly but surely strangling and occupying the Japanese positions and approaching the capital of the Empire. But alas you only have 1 to 4 actions per turn to contain 5 fronts or attempt to climb at least one of the 3 resources. Do you see the diabolical design and the number of doubts that will arise when deciding what should be your best action? devil

Thus each turn is an agony that goes in crescendo until you manage a fluke ,one or two attacks won and you can breathe for a while, well more precisely until the next round ....
You win the game if you get the draw the last card from pile and the allied troops have not landed in Japan or your empire has not been collapsed for lack of troops and supplies. Or if you Knock blow the fronts, something that I still have not achieve.
Also to give more color to the game and a touch of historical feeling you count for defence kamikaze banzai, in extremis, just when you are without resources to defend and if all else fails you still have one honourable way to save your face as many Japanese officers did
commit Hara-kiri !! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good job.

If you're looking for other titles in the series, I highly recommend "Soviet Dawn".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this in English as well as Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarinu wrote:

....... and if all else fails you still have one honourable way to save your face as many Japanese officers did
commit Hara-kiri !!

I hope this strategy was fully playtested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
jarinu wrote:

....... and if all else fails you still have one honourable way to save your face as many Japanese officers did
commit Hara-kiri !!

Only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
jarinu wrote:

commit Hara-kiri !!

Only once.

He's still not reported back. I hope he's OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.