Popular Tags: [View All]
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of any FLGS in the above stated area. I am visiting parents in Monroe NY anything close would be good. I am aware of a place in Poughkeepsie but that is just a little far. NYC is to far. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I appericate you linking to your useful tool I had already checked it. It doesn't cover this region. It has NYC, Long Island and Upstate NY (Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochetser), but none of those places are within two hours of where I am. So I will ask again. Does anyone know any FLGS in the Organge County or Rockland county area. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Yes, we need FLGS! So I can update my list as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This area is sadly devoid of a proper FLGS. Every now and then I have fantasies of opening up a store in Cornwall. Er, if I didn't have to work for a living and stuff.

Anyhoo, the only place I know of which does any kind of regular gaming is ToyWiz in Nanuet, though there it's mostly Magic, YuGiOh and Warhammer. They have a limited selection of board games and no scheduled board game events. Though seeing as how I work for them and all (on the website side), I could probably get some board gaming events going if there was enough interest.

If you're looking to buy games... you're thoroughly out of luck. I did a fairly exhaustive search not long ago, when one of the Dominion expansions came out (Seaside maybe?) and I wanted to pick it up on release day. I had a search radius of nearly an hour-and-a-half, and I still couldn't find a single place any closer than Manhattan where they even knew what Dominion was.

The Barnes & Noble in Newburgh (or the one at Palisades Center) has the best collection of designer games probably of any store in either county. It's actually a pretty decent selection, but fairly static. They usually don't start selling games there until they've got an established following (Settlers, Dominion, Agricola, Cosmic Encounter, etc.) so it doesn't really scratch the itch of a dedicated gamer. Though I have to say, I was so surprised when they added the section I felt compelled to take a picture:

And if you're looking to play games in the area... well, I'm always looking for gamers to share my collection with... I've got over 350 games (profile is up-to-date) and a dedicated gaming area in my recently-finished basement. With two little kids I don't get out much, but I'm always open to hosting. So if you're local and looking for some gaming, feel free to drop me a PM. I'm just a few minutes from Five Corners in Vails Gate.

(These images are from last summer. I've since filled most of the empty space.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Monroe, and will be heading down there in a few weeks. I'm still shocked at the lack of hobby (anything) stores right outside of New York City. S&J's Comics in Chester closed down, the hobby shop in Middletown closed. The mall used to have a dedicated Anime shop: closed. Yet here in Rochester, we have at least five stores selling board games.

Seems like there's a business opportunity there.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Monroe-Woodbury Class of '99. Go Crusaders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Thompsonville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm class of '89! And when lived in Monroe, I generally went to the Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MDS
United States
Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
There's also a HobbyTown on 59. Not a huge selection of games, and it seems to be all MSRP. The employees have seemed nice anytime I've gone though. The address from their website:

Nanuet Mall South
418-A Nanuet Mall South
Nanuet, NY 10954
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Monroe... went to Washingtonville HS... class of '90. I've moved to CT since. My parents still live there, so I visit from time to time. Other than a small click of wargamers that I've known for years, I've not seen any other groups, clubs, or game stores in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOSHIRO MIFUNE
Japan
Iwakuni
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice game room. I'm nearby in Washingtonville and the lack places to even buy stuff is disheartening. I got lucky with the Barnes & Noble in Newburgh though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guy in Hobbytown in Nanuet runs a small boardgame group on Thursday night

Also check out ToyWiz in Nanuet. They're online also. You can call the local store to check if they have it in-stock at the store otherwise they can pick up and have at the store in 24 hours. http://www.toywiz.com/retstordiran.html

People behind the counters at both places seemed very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Gunn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
In New Windsor myself, and there isn't a whole lot for games here. Dragons Den is fairly close, but thats about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Gunn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Awesome game room. If you open a store in Cornwall, I will be there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smartgun13 wrote:
In New Windsor myself, and there isn't a whole lot for games here. Dragons Den is fairly close, but thats about it.

I have attempted to get some traction for Thursday night boardgames at Dragon's Den 6-9 without much success.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/645567/putnamdutchess-county...

If people from Orange/Rockland are willing to go, please post on that thread as to your interest and availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently moved to New Windsor, NY in August 2016. I agree that Barnes & Noble is the closest store that has anything remotely interesting (Target and Walmart leave much to be desired ~ guess Internet orders are the way to go).

I joined Meetup.Com to find some close by boardgamers, but my work schedule has kept me from attending any so far. Hopefully, will get to meet some other avid gamers in 2017. You still in the area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday nights are not good as I work my weekly 24-hour shift at West Point FD on Thursdays. Any traction for board gamers on weekends in New Windsor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls