Good news for fans of Railroad Tycoon and Railways of the World: the Railways of Mexico expansion is now going to be available as a separate unit. Eagle Games has just reprinted Railways of the World with a few cosmetic improvements, the most important change being the inclusion of the fan-produced Railroad Operations and Railroad Baron cards to go along with the Mexico map. These cards were originally only available separately from Artscow, and people who have the first printing of Railways of the World will be able to buy them separately. But the availability of all the components of the Mexico game as a complete and separate shrink-wrapped package for owners of Railroad Tycoon is especially good to hear!

So what do you get if you purchase the Railways of Mexico expansion? I've asked the publisher exactly that question, and here's what I learned.

Mexico map

To give you an idea of what to expect, let's show some of the components for the Mexico game that came with the first printing of Railways of the World, because this expansion is essentially the same product, with the addition of the cards. First up is the map of Mexico, which is on a mounted board. For game-play purposes note that it includes four major lines that are available to all players throughout the game.

Railroad Baron and Railroad Operation cards

Aside from a few minor corrections in spelling and language, this is pretty much the equivalent of the fan-made deck of cards for Artscow that was first posted on and publicized by way of BGG. Pictured below are some sample cards from the Artscow deck, which included 12 Railroad Barons, 38 Railroad Operation cards (of which you use 25), and reference cards.

Score track

Instead of going around the map, the score track is on a separate mounted board. Income values and scoring is distributed the same as on the Eastern US map that came with Railroad Tycoon.

Rules

The regular rules of the Railways of the World base game still apply, so there's just a few extra rules about minor adjustments for the Mexico game, e.g. the number of empty city markers needed to trigger the end of the game. I expect that there will be a couple of minor editorial changes to what you see here, since the reference to the Mexico map being an `introductory game' when played without cards was rather a misnomer!

Conclusion

I've only played the Mexico map several times as a two player game thus far, and not with more players - although it can apparently handle up to four. Without Railroad Operation cards it's extremely harsh to the point where it's almost unpleasant, because there are no short-term incentives from Railroad Operation cards that help increase your income - and just look at all the mountainous territory and think about how expensive building track is going to be! So the cards are pretty much essential, and they really turn it into a great little game, especially for two players. We found them a big improvement!

So I think that the release of Railways of Mexico as a separate expansion is great news for fans of the series. If you own the first printing of Railways of the World and haven't already got yourself the Artscow deck, you will want to pick up the new deck of cards (expected to cost around $5) in order to make the Mexico map more playable. And if you own Railroad Tycoon, which is best for larger groups of up to six players, you'll likely want to get this expansion map so that you can play the game with 2-3 players. Given that it comes with the map, score board, and cards, the expected price of $15 (link) seems like a bargain to me - but then again I'm a big fan of the series, so a good option for playing Railroad Tycoon/RotW with 2-3 players is always going to go over well with me!

NB: If you want to learn more, consider checking out the more detailed review of the Mexico expansion (along with the Artscow deck) that I wrote some time ago here:

A Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Hopping aboard Railroad Tycoon's Mexican train
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/522307
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know about harsh but expect to take many loans to do well. I once had a company that was profitable and could not expand fast enough to improve company worth. So I guess I was a real rail barron and had a dog of a train and huge piles of cash myself. My friend had around 30 loans I think but he had won due to his huge network and long shipments he was able to make.

I have not played with the cards yet but want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago I bought the cards from Artscow, but found the maps sold out. Now that they are available again I have one on order. That means I will have an extra set of cards for anyone with the first printing. pm me if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About how long does a 2 player game take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I have played Mexico as a 2-player several times (with the Artscow cards) and it usually takes us 2 hours. But my friend is a pretty slow player, so with a fast group I'm sure it would be faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made, a minor mistake when ordering this from eaglegames.net.
I purchased the mexico map with card for $15 and a scoring track for $5. As stated above it does come with the scoring track (even though it is not stated on Eagle's site) so I ended up with two.

This expansion is a great deal (for $15 or $20 ). Even more so if you own RRT and want the scoring track for the Western US expansion..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
This expansion is a great deal (for $15 or $20 ). Even more so if you own RRT and want the scoring track for the Western US expansion..

I agree. As an owner of Railroad Tycoon I was disappointed in the lack of a scoring track on the Western map. However, I just ordered the Mexico expansion and I'm very pleased to be getting another expansion map, more cards, and a scoring track for $22 after shipping. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
This expansion is a great deal (for $15 or $20 ).
Except international shipping is $30. Might as well instead buy the reprint of the full edition.. Or is it/will it be available anywhere besides directly from Eagle Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that Eagle is trying not to go to major distribution with the Mexico map. I'm not sure why they didn't want retail stores to have it, but perhaps they just didn't print very many and the margins are too small to make money through distribution.

Oh well. I can certainly appreciate publishers trying to serve the needs of gamers without access to good retail locations... but why in the world would they punish retailers and their customers by making it harder to get their product through retail? I guess the retail distribution model isn't justifying itself. That sucks, because without the great local retailers that I frequent, it would be very difficult to get big board game group meetups together frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean mentioned it may be possible to talk to customer service, have it shipped via USPS instead for a more reasonable rate.
Re: So you're wondering about the reprint of Railways of the World: A Guide with Pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that, but thought that would only be for the deck of cards (which I already have.. ;-)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished a 4 player game and I must say the Mexico map and Cards are great!!

I don't care that Eagle Games haven't released this to retailers. Doesn't effect us who buy online.

Anyway, the game played was pretty tight.....at least until the eventual winner got a few lucky cube placements from Urbanization.

The cards by far are the best of any set and caused some pretty intense bidding wars. (This is one case where the game player's creativity and fresh ideas really out performed the designers' own product!)

Anyway....if you own Railways of the World/Railroad Tycoon, you need to go right now to the Eagle's site and order this Awesome Expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this 4-player on the weekend, my first time seeing the board. Game was tight and tense. Really enjoyed it. We play our own variant where the bidding to go first is done blind, and it makes for a lot of second guessing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's worth updating this thread to mention that with the 10th anniversary edition of Railways of the World (produced in 2017), all the components for the Mexico map have received a significant upgrade.

Map

The map has been entirely redrawn to make it more functional, and in keeping with the upgraded maps of the latest version.

Railroad Baron cards

The graphic design of these has been significantly improved, with a look that is in line with the rest of the series.

Railroad Operation cards

Clarifications have been made to numerous Railroad Operation cards, and they've also have had the benefit of a graphic design overhaul.

Reference cards

Here's the new look Reference cards.

In short, the new look of the expansions is a great improvement all round.

Separate review

To read a detailed description of all the changes in the new edition of the base game, including the Mexico expansion, see my review here:

Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Review: The 10th Anniversary Edition of My Favourite Train Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls