Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I understand the rules now - although clarification on this Quickie on Stacking and Ramming would still be helpful. However, I wanted to check that I had the rules for combat clear in my head. For my examples, I will use a Mk III Ogre:

Ogre Combat - General

The Mk III starts with 1 'checkbox' of Main Battery, 2 checkboxes of Missiles, 4 checkboxes of Secondary Battery and 8 checkboxes of Antipersonnel.

So, a completely undamaged Ogre Mk III would (assuming it had sufficient Targets) be able to fire 15 weapons (singly or in combinations)in its first turn.

Is that correct?

Damage to Weapons

As weapons get damaged, the Mk III will mark off damage on the checkboxes. Each damage point applied to weapons will effectively knock out 1 weapon of that type for the rest of the game.

So, a secondary battery that has taken 3 damage will now only be able to fire once per turn. It will fire with Attack 3 and Range 2 as normal.

Is that correct?

Missiles

Missiles get checked off if they take damage but as they are 'one-shot' they also get checked off if I choose to fire them.

So, following on from the examples above, if I fired everything on my first turn, then took 3 damage on my secondary battery, I would be down to a maximum of 10 attacks - 8 antipersonnel weapons firing at A1/R1 and 1 main battery at A4/R3 and 1 secondary battery at A3/R2. (All that is assuming I had targets - I understand the antipersonnel weapons can only attack certain targets).

Is all that correct?

If all the above is correct then I'm about ready to start my first game. (Would still like Quickie on Stacking and Ramming clarifying though). It would be helpful to know if anyone has any tips for keeping a check on which weapons or units have already fired during the turn (or is that unnecessary).

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
Is all that correct?

Yeah, though instead of thinking of it as 1 secondary battery with 4 damage checkboxes, I think you're meant to imagine 4 secondary batteries which are each disabled by successive hits. Same effect though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ: Thank you - that has to be the quickest reply I've ever had. I'd barely posted the question. I understand the point about 4 secondary batteries rather than 1, that's the easiest way of explaining it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
It would be helpful to know if anyone has any tips for keeping a check on which weapons or units have already fired during the turn (or is that unnecessary).

I haven't had any problems keeping track in my head for normal scenarios, but for a big battle it's certainly possible to lose track. Counter facing isn't meaningful in Ogre, so turning a counter sideways or upside down can be used for marking fired status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herodian wrote:
...Counter facing isn't meaningful in Ogre, so turning a counter sideways or upside down can be used for marking fired status.

Good suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
gnomus wrote:
Is all that correct?

Yeah, though instead of thinking of it as 1 secondary battery with 4 damage checkboxes, I think you're meant to imagine 4 secondary batteries which are each disabled by successive hits. Same effect though.

Would that mean you can fire the secondary batteries four times in a single turn?

Can you also fire the mains, and missiles or must you pick an individual weapon each time?

I'm sure we played our first game wrong. Just not sure how wrong. Ended up with all my Ogre weapons disabled rather quickly, but just drove over everything and rammed it until I was swarmed and lost all my tread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
russ wrote:
gnomus wrote:
Is all that correct?

Would that mean you can fire the secondary batteries four times in a single turn?

Can you also fire the mains, and missiles or must you pick an individual weapon each time?

Each turn the Ogre may fire all of its functioning weapons individually if it likes. It need not just make one attack or just fire one weapon.

Quote:
I'm sure we played our first game wrong. Just not sure how wrong.

Sounds like "pretty wrong".
Quote:
Ended up with all my Ogre weapons disabled rather quickly,

Sounds like that's why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ.

Even with knocking out the entire weapon system after on "X", I still got a marginal Ogre victory. (We played the ramming and attacking treads correctly.)

Even with the huge advantage our rules mistake gave the Paneuropean forces, they still lost. Pretty scary how powerful the Ogre is.

Thanks for clearing up our questions. Looking forward to playing it again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.