Popular Tags: GeekGold [+] [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG Support Drive appears to be going fantastically well and deservedly so, but, as I count it, we're about to see at least 5,000,000 GG introduced into the system. That's seems like a HUGE amount, as best as I can tell. Of course, I'm not in the BGG version of the Federal Reserve, so I don't know for sure, but it'll probably be reflected in the GG auctions....

Anyway, for any of you non-supporters out there, you better get in to keep up with the "Cost of Geeking" adjustment or you'll be left out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
This could really shake things up in the world of... microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know, but I've already noticed huge inflation in the number of people asking if there is going to be GG inflation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gg keeps getting introduced as newbies scrawl, beg, and work for them. I think the gg economy should be fine for the time being. *

chansen2794 wrote:
This could really shake things up in the world of... microbadges.
Was it at least one year ago that microbadges went from 15gg to 8gg? If not, do bear in mind that microbadges have been slashed in price, so I'd reckon that has at least half as much to do with their purchase as the gg from donations.

* Disclaimer, I am no economist nor gg economist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may see if there is inflation, maybe help it in that direction. If this is true it should not take long for some one to buy it now my $20 for 404 GG which translates into over 100% inflation if GG has a 10 to 1 ratio now. Well it is now posted in auction, will get back to ya.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekauction.php3?action=viewauc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5000 times 100 = 500,000 ... not 5,000,000

So we are looking at apx 600,000 GG being added... an order of magnitude less than you feared. Nevertheless, I am not able to determine whether this will have any significance in the GG market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. Thanks for the math-check. 500,000 is still a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unlike real world currency which gets used all the time, gg can do its job by just sitting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krainer wrote:
5000 times 100 = 500,000 ... not 5,000,000

So we are looking at apx 600,000 GG being added... an order of magnitude less than you feared. Nevertheless, I am not able to determine whether this will have any significance in the GG market.

Well, it's every 2010 supporter gets GG, not just the 5000+ who contributed during the drive. So it's probably quite a bit more than 600,000. As an aside, I just donated, so I figure I just created at least 250 GG. You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copying a portion of my reply from [thread=5953545]another thread with this exact question[/thread]:

A lot of people are misusing the word "inflation" lately...

Inflation is the name given to what happens when prices rise across the board, as money loses its value. One cause of inflation, in real economies, is the presence of more money than at some previous time (i.e. the central bank injects more money into circulation).

However, BGG has, if nothing else, a planned economy. Prices are set by The Aldies That Be, and as he said (earlier in the thread quoted), they're not changing those prices (so it will just be easier to buy things for many of us).

On the other hand, the geekgold "Black Market" may see some inflation, because prices of GG-for-games (for example) are unregulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel conflicted. On the one hand, my 3 Geek Gold I have in savings will be seriously de-valued. On the other hand, I will be getting 120(ish) new Geek Gold to rub together after the first. So bittersweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On the other hand, the geekgold "Black Market" may see some inflation, because prices of GG-for-games (for example) are unregulated.

And I think that is the economy we are talking about here. You can only display 5 microbadges anyway, so more people having those doesn't really matter much. However, anything unregulated will probably inflate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. And here's 1 for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have seen steady GG inflation the entire time I've been a member of BGG - I doubt this will have a significant long-term effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I get my Uberbadge and as of now 7 microbadges I won't have much need for geekgold except tipping. I don't really worry about converting my geekgold in to real tangible goods.

There is no scarcity of microbadges, avatars, badges, and uberbadges so they don't work the same as your normal supply and demand curves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking. We are talking about geek gold, right? Y'all do know it's not like, real money or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Just checking. We are talking about geek gold, right? Y'all do know it's not like, real money or anything.

Randy! You don't understand! IT'S THE END! Between this and BGN, and Chapel *pant* *pant* BGG is done diddley doomed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

If it can be exchanged for real things - like games and legal tender - then even in the limited and controlled world of BGG it is real money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

If it can be exchanged for real things - like games and legal tender - then even in the limited and controlled world of BGG it is real money.

Exactly. In fact, the value is measurable because in the GeekAuctions people buy GG with real money and real games that have an actual material value. Here's how the value of GG has decreased over time:
2005: 3GG per US$
2007: 7GG per US$
2008: 10GG per US$
2010: 15GG per US$
2011: 20GG per US$?
A large injection of GG as a result of the GG Bonus for 2010 Supporters certainly won't slow down this process.

NB: For more details, see the thread I originally posted about this here - John Peterson asked me to re-post these numbers here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ender!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
In these worrisome times of potential inflation I would recommend investing in Geek Silver or Geek Platinum as these are commodities in very short supply. Rumor has it that even the admins aren't stocked with this extremely rare coin-of-the-realm.

Another sound investment is to convert your geek gold into real gold before the inflation occurs.

This spreading of the virtual wealth is Bolshevism pure and simple! Now the most banal and common users can outfit themselves with such finery as only the chosen has been able to enjoy. Avatars and microbadges for all the plebs and members of the third estate! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
In these worrisome times of potential inflation I would recommend investing in Geek Silver or Geek Platinum as these are commodities in very short supply. Rumor has it that even the admins aren't stocked with this extremely rare coin-of-the-realm.

Another sound investment is to convert your geek gold into real gold before the inflation occurs.

This spreading of the virtual wealth is Bolshevism pure and simple! Now the most banal and common users can outfit themselves with such finery as only the chosen has been able to enjoy. Avatars and microbadges for all the plebs and members of the third estate! devil

Those familiar with Steve Jackson Games' Revolution! know that blackmail and force carry more power than gold.

Now, what are the BGG equivalents? I'm thinking a scathing review by Tom Vasel and...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inflation as ender puts it has been steady.
I said i would get back to you on this matter. Today my auction here ended buy it now for $20 i got 404 GG. End of 2010 for me GG stands at 20 GG per US dollar. GG inflation is real and rising at an alarming rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Was it at least one year ago that microbadges went from 15gg to 8gg?

... It was? I missed that memo. I still thought it was 15 gg. Fire my secretary! Grumble grumble grumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to give GG as a passive-agressive trick during discussions.

Quote:
I despise what you said so much, I'll give you some GG out of pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.