Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Unity Games» Forums » General

Subject: Unity Games 17 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-17 (Boston area) on Jan. 29th, 2011! (NO Shipping Costs!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Important!
for this math trade want lists will be submitted only by using the OLWLG (online wantlist generator/editor) ... you may want to make sure you can login to that tool (no password required) if you haven't already.

Also Very Important!
You must read the Limits & Rules below before joining in on this math trade!

"Unity Games 17 Math Trade" .......
Unity Games XVII (17) - Open Gaming Convention
Woburn, MA (not far outside Boston)
Sat. Jan. 29th, 2010 - 9am to Midnight
http://www.unitygames.org/ugxvii/ugxvii.htm
Only $12.50 until up til 2 weeks before, then $20 at at the door (space permitting so pre-paying highly recommended!)

Related (Discussion) Forum Thread: This thread!

Actual geeklist: Unity Games 17 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-17 (Boston area) on Jan. 29th, 2011! (NO Shipping Costs!) - Work on and submit your want lists
(though easiest way to offer items into the math trade is via the OLWLG from prior math trades you were in and/or from your "for trade" list on BGG)

Deadlines:
%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 11pm EST
Deadline-Wants: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 11pm EST
%End%
Results posted: Shortly after the last deadline.

Limits: (per person)
* Max of 2 non-game items (that includes geek gold, gift certificates, etc) for each real game item you list for trade
* Geekgold offerings must be at least 75 GG
* Absolutely no cash/paypal/etc offerings (gift certificates ok)

Rules:
0.1. * You must be either attending UG-17 or know someone who is that will be your proxy as all game deliveries are being done at the convention (ie. no shipping costs!).

0.2. * When you add item(s) please put in the comment field the hours you anticipate being at UG-17 (this may help folks who aren't there all day to leave games off their want list if they won't be there to accept delivery)

1. * Non-game items must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985), and you must within (at the bottom) of the item description put a "+altname+ Short Name Here -altname-" (minus the quotes) where "Short Name Here" for example would be "125 Geek Gold", or "$40 ThoughtHammer Gift Card", etc.

Note: this rule applies when you are offering an expansion or bonus items to a game which does not have it's own BGG entry (such as Le Havre bonus cards). Do NOT use the game id of the base game if it is NOT being included in what you are offering.

2. * "sweeteners" are to be listed using either the GAMEID formatting (prefered, example Hansa), "Insert Geek Link", or a link to the game's page (this will look like http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8989). If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.

Note: do NOT include links in your listings to games you are NOT including in your offering that will be picked up as sweeteners by the OLWLG. See the FAQ below for how to workaround this.

3. * You must accurately describe your game's condition, language, edition, etc. If you do not then the condition will be assumed to be "like new" and complete, English language version. Do not simply say "as pictured" as it's not always obvious. When in doubt though, folks should post a comment to the item and/or geekmail the item's owner with questions.

3.5. * For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete (I've been on the receiving end 2 or 3 times thus far where the owner assumed and it wasn't)

3.6. * If the game and/or expansion you are listing is a "Print & Play" make that clear in the description (and I recommend you give specifics what it was printed on, mounted on, etc).

3.7. * If you are listing an expansion if you reference the base game in the description be clear one way or the other if you are including the base game or not.

3.8. * Q: what if I want to change my offering (downgrade), such as remove or change the item or sweetener(s), or make the shipping more restrictive, or discover the condition of the game(s) are worse than I originally stated?
A: edit the geeklist item for your lot and change the game id to 23953 (which is outside the scope of BGG) and replace the item description with:
+altname+ Item withdrawn/relisted -altname-
and then do just that, add a new item (bundle). and obviously submit a blank list for the old withdrawn item.

4. * Traders from all countries are allowed. (but must be attending UG as mentioned above)

5. * Specify your restrictions on shipping in your listing. If you don't it will be assumed you'll ship worlwide for free. (Note: if you list "mirror" shipping, or a limit to how much you will be pay toward the shipping, then you must state where you would be shipping from (zipcode for USA locations). this rule not applicable to this math trade. See rule 0.2 instead.

6. * If you are offering games that you do not have in your possession (ie. that you'll order and have shipped from an online retailer if it trades), you must state in your description that is what you are doing. this rule is also not applicable for this math trade as it's a no-ship math trade

7. * No Geek-gold or Gift certificate arbitrage... that means you are not allowed to attempt to trade your geekgold for someone elses geekgold offering, or attempt to trade your gift certificate for someone elses gift certificate offering+++. However attempting to trade geekgold for a gift certificate or vice versa is allowed.

8. * I reserve the right to remove games from the list for whatever reason (though unlikely). If you are on the bad traders list, your games will be removed

9. * Use the this thread for questions & discussions of this math trade (though for questions on individual items as those as comments to the specific geeklist item)

10. * It is strongly suggested that if you have more than one identical copy of an item you'd like to list that instead of listing them all individually to instead to list if only once and to add to the botton of the item's description:
%Options%
Copies: 2
(where 2 can be any positive number as appropriate)
%End%
This makes it easier for both you and potential traders. See here for more info

11. * If you feel the need to use them, keep disclaimers short and to the point so they don't make things hard to read. If you need to use a longer disclaimer, please include a link to it in each of your entries instead of copying the whole thing into each entry.

11.5. * Also similarly keep descriptions, commentaries, etc regarding details on the game's theme, game play, etc relatively terse (this info is available to anyone clicking through to the game's page). Verbose narratives not only redundant, take up more vertical space and hence more paging, but most importantly make it harder for someone to see the important and required information required to be listed by the rules above.

If you are unfamiliar with math trades, please read the BGG wiki page at Math Trades

By posting an entry on this list, you agree to abide both by the general math trade guidelines and by those specific to this math trade.

Trade Resolver: TradeMaximizer (trying to maximize number of trades)
* Duplicate Protection
* NO Priorities
* SEED=1234567
* ITERATIONS=100
* METRIC=USERS-TRADING
Important Note: requires special version of TradeMax (pointer to which will be provided)

Note: only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results.

Note: in the case that there is a problem after the results are posted, at most it will only invalidate the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire results set. In addition if the problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that is perfectly acceptable.

Note: you can start putting together your want list(s) immediately, even before you enter your own items into the math trade using the OLWLG

Some common questions/answers:
Q: Where can I find this special version of TradeMaximizer?
A: http://isomerica.net/~jeff/tm.jar
Note: this was compiled against JDK 1.5, apparently compiling w/JDK 1.6 and trying to run with JRE 1.5 gives a version skew exception. Also sources are included inside the jar

Q: why no priorities in this MT?
A: because they are not compatible with the metric we are using. That also means it does not matter how you order your wants (not that ordering them had much effect for most anyway, TradeMax will always use whatever wants will maximize the number of trades)

Q: where is the "request" geeklist?
A: there isn't one... on the OLWLG home page for this math trade use the "statistics" link/page to see the list of games most wanted by those in this math trade but are not currently being offered

Q: How do I include a link to a BGG game page in my listing that is not an item I'm including in my offering?
A: use www.tinyurl.com (or similiar service) to create an alias link that will redirect to the game's page. For example, http://tinyurl.com/84kjm7 instead of http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/559 or Metro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are up - Unity Games 17 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-17 (Boston area) on Jan. 29th, 2011! (NO Shipping Costs!)
Ok, all submitted... and I was expecting trademax to take at least 10 minutes but 100 iterations in under a minute even on my machine and it's done...

Results uploaded! 210 trades! doesn't beat ug15's record 243 but is 2nd most out of 7 ug math trades

please check the results... only errors by the organizer (me) should invalidate the results

also don't forget to check "who wanted mine"... you may find a viable direct trade you hadn't considered putting on your want list.

links to both results and who wanted mine, most wanted, etc at

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved #3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why the restriction about GG needing to be 75 or more? (Not complaining, and I wasn't planning on putting any GG up in this one anyway, just wondering.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
Out of curiosity, why the restriction about GG needing to be 75 or more? (Not complaining, and I wasn't planning on putting any GG up in this one anyway, just wondering.)
I feel there should be some minimum, actually quite common in math trades. What min. do you think it should be? Though checking your balance 13 is definitely too low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Though checking your balance 13 is definitely too low
Yup, that's why I wouldn't have bothered even without the restriction

I don't think it's necessarily too low; I've never put up less than 75 myself (and once traded 80-some for Loot, so I'd be surprised if less than 75 moved anyway). I was more just wondering if there'd been a problem at some point in the past (a bunch of people clogging things up with dozens of 20 GG items or something like that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully I'm doing it all right, first time through the math trade routine.

I almost missed it entirely as I had expected a January 5 deadline for an event at the end of the month!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
I almost missed it entirely as I had expected a January 5 deadline for an event at the end of the month!
deadline for offers... Jan. 11th, or 6 days for editing/submitting your wants, about 2 1/2 weeks before UG17 so maybe only finishing about 5 days earlier than last years...

Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Results are up in the OLWLG!

seems a lot earlier though because last year UG16 was on Feb. 6th where this year it's a week earlier.

Also I really wanted to make sure Joe's Yankee Swap Trade has enough time this year, as well as enough time for folks to put their untraded items in the math trade up for auction or out right sale, etc.

Hopefully it will work out.. there are often a lot of folks who procrastinate and add their items at the last minute. Right now we have 12 less folks and about 150 items less than last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What is this Yankee Swap? And auctions? Are there auctions and games for sale at UG? I've never been before. Should one bring lots of cash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
What is this Yankee Swap? And auctions? Are there auctions and games for sale at UG? I've never been before. Should one bring lots of cash?
Joe Huber will announce the Yankee Swap when he has it setup (I think it's going to start right after this one ends... possibly earlier as it shouldn't conflict once the deadline for offers passes this Wednesday as long as the YS deadline goes past the results posted date for this math trade).

As for auctions... they are/will be here on BGG, and some folks will likely be posting "for sale" lists to the UG yahoo groups mailing list. In past years there has also been a charity fund-raiser silent auction but I haven't heard any call for donations this year for it so there may not be one this year either (probably due to lack of space as it took a fair amount of space)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok, so not lots of cash. I'll keep an eye on the UG Yahoo group to see if there's anything good to buy. What's the deal with the Yankee Swap? Is it all done online beforehand or something and then you just get what you get at the con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
What's the deal with the Yankee Swap? Is it all done online beforehand or something and then you just get what you get at the con?
before hand but no need discussing it here, when Joe gets to it he'll get to it, or look up last years (exercise to the reader )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good idea! Thanks for the other info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
Other than the charity auction, there are no games sales allowed at UG. So maybe bring a little bit of cash.

UG is a great place to swap games that were traded or sold prior to the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Other than the charity auction, ....
is there a charity auction this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Other than the charity auction, there are no games sales allowed at UG.
Is this a rule change? Last year I saw a bunch of people who had prices next to their game piles. Or did you mean no formal selling?

Depending on how the math trade goes, I'd considered bringing some untraded items and putting "make offer" notes on them. I obviously won't do that if it's prohibited, but I wanted to clarify.

And I second Jeff's question about the charity auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
Is this a rule change? Last year I saw a bunch of people who had prices next to their game piles. Or did you mean no formal selling?

Depending on how the math trade goes, I'd considered bringing some untraded items and putting "make offer" notes on them. I obviously won't do that if it's prohibited, but I wanted to clarify.
Not a new rule... see Adam's message to the UG mailing list last year...

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/message/3064...

Quote:
you are not allowed to brings games to UGXVI with the purpose of
selling them at the event.

We're expecting record attendance again, and it will be a challenge to find a
place to store all the games people are bringing just to play
If folks had prices on their game piles last year then they *may* (Adam can clarify) have been allowed if the games were available for folks to play like the regular game piles... or...

maybe what you saw was a price list for games not in the event itself but in the persons vehicle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
VolcanoLotus wrote:

Not a new rule... see Adam's message to the UG mailing list last year...

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/message/3064...

Quote:
you are not allowed to brings games to UGXVI with the purpose of
selling them at the event.

We're expecting record attendance again, and it will be a challenge to find a
place to store all the games people are bringing just to play
If folks had prices on their game piles last year then they *may* (Adam can clarify) have been allowed if the games were available for folks to play like the regular game piles... or...

maybe what you saw was a price list for games not in the event itself but in the persons vehicle?
Thanks for that. I'm not on the mailing list; I assumed all the relevant info was on the website.

They were definitely for the games that were out (some were on pieces of paper physically attached to the game), but they were also available to play as far as I could tell. I certainly wouldn't mind making the ones I'd like to sell/trade available to play as well.

I mean, I'm going to be driving from Western New York with a 6-month old in the back, so I'd imagine I'm not going to have a lot of room myself , but in case I fail at the math trade it'd be nice to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But bringing games for the auction is fine right? As long as the sale was taken care of beforehand and it's just the exchange happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
But bringing games for the auction is fine right? As long as the sale was taken care of beforehand and it's just the exchange happening?
Correct, as Adam said:
Quote:
If you've completed a sale or trade, Unity Games is a great place to
deliver/pick up your games.
Sadly I'm going to have to ask if we can move this discussion else where (within the UG guild forums)... this thread is supposed to be for the math trade. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynda Shea
United States
Tolland
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice a formal game request list for this math trade as a separate thread so (if there are no objections), I would like cite some games that I'm interested in obtaining. My daughter will be off to college and we'd like to get some duplicate copies of games we already own for her in addition to others as well.

Power Grid (which I saw a few listings)
Dominion
7 Wonders (yeah I know...wishful thinking)
Stone Age
Ingenious
Pandemic
Apples to Apples (noticed some listings)
Forbidden Island
Tichu
Jambo
San Juan
In The Year Of The Dragon

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80sGirl wrote:
I didn't notice a formal game request list for this math trade as a separate thread ....
Not as separate thread but there is...

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/glstats.cgi?listid=62392#r...

as long as your collection data is synced with the OLWLG (which can be done in the OLWLG step 2) fplks BGG want in trade, wishlist, etc will be reflected there.

Right now the top ones folks are interested in but haven't been offered yet are...

In the Year of the Dragon
Imperial
Automobile
Ingenious
Tobago
Traders of Carthage
Endeavor
Space Alert
Yspahan
World Without End
Powerboats
Cuba
The Downfall of Pompeii
Goa
Dixit
Power Grid - Brazil/Spain & Portugal
Witch's Brew
Dune
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Liberté

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadline for offering (adding to geeklist) items/games is here... however there appear to be a really lot of folks who waited til the last minute so I'm going to hold off on locking down the geeklist until it appears the last minute additions have stopped (maybe 10-15 minutes, maybe 1/2 an hour, I'm monitoring the actual geeklist)

also this should hopefully give any of you procrastinators who added at last minute to double check your listings, especially the ones I added comments to, as I see folks adding games for example I know are only in German but the listing doesn't indicate publisher or language... rules state if you forget to state edition/language it's assumed to be domestic English... and not every one digs deep enough (nor are they required to) to know otherwise ....

.... hopefully by next year I'll have setup the olwlg so games can't be added (or just not picked up by the olwlg) unless the version info is explicitly specified (this is a general math trade problem, I wouldn't be doing it specifically for UG mt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UG17 Math Trade... deadline to submit your want lists is Tuesday night....

Specifically Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 11pm EST

We had a LOT of folks wait til the last minute to add items... a new record number of items though, and number of users (52)...

... folks, please do not wait til the last minute to start working on your want lists... some have been working on them even before now... even consider submitting your want lists at a certain point well before the deadline just in case you don't get back to them so you'll have some wants submitted (just don't submit anything unless you are happy with your wants thus far)... you can re-submit as often as you want (via the OLWLG).

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

If you have questions please use the discussion forum for this MT or the OLWLG discussion thread (link from the OLWLG wiki which you can easily find by clicking on the "help" link in the OLWLG pages).

Now let's hope the record number of items results in a record number of items trading!

Happy Trading!

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |