United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the release of Exodus, there are now 18 non-Cylon-Leader characters available (5 Military, 5 Political, 5 Pilots, and 3 Support).
And without Cylon Leaders, the game goes up to 6 players.

This got me thinking about a simple variant for choosing characters, and spicing up this phase of the game a bit:

At the beginning of the game, set aside the 3 Cylon Leader characters.
Shuffle the rest of the character sheets.
Deal out 3 character sheets to each player, face down. Do not look at them yet!
(If playing with fewer than 6 players, put the rest of the sheets aside,also facedown)

In turn, each player then goes through the following process:

A) If a Cylon Leader hasn't been chosen yet, the player may opt to choose any one of the Cylon Leaders. If he does this, he puts his character sheets facedown along with the other unused character sheets, without looking at any of them. Otherwise:

B) The player picks up and looks at his 3 character sheets, and selects one. If he doesn't like any of his choices, he may draw a character (randomly) from the facedown set-aside sheets, at a cost of starting with one fewer skillcard at the beginning of the game. You can do this up to 3 times, reducing your starting cards by 1 each time. (If you somehow would start the game with fewer than 3 skill cards anyway, for example being Samuel Anders and going first, then you have to "pay off" this debt with the next 3 cards you would otherwise draw).
You may not tell other players which characters you did not choose, by name or special ability. You may only discuss their category (Political, Military, Pilot, Support). For example, "I choose Saul Tigh, the other 2 were Pilots". You may, of course, lie about this, but it's a little too early to be deceptive.
Put aside all of your unchosen character sheets, facedown with the rest of the unused characters. Move on to the next player.

Remember, you only get to look at your character choices when it's your turn, after the "choose Cylon Leader" option.

How does this sound?
Overly complicated?
Does it make sense at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds okay.
Just one question: What if your 3 choices are illegal choices (e.g. going third, after Political and military leader have been chosen, while you only hold those types)? Are you then forced to take 1 less skill card?

I had an other nice way of distributing characters - to avoid the same characters always being taken, specifically Baltar and Cain.
Every player choses the character for the player to his left.
And a variant: the player can first choose the category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
Sounds okay.
Just one question: What if your 3 choices are illegal choices (e.g. going third, after Political and military leader have been chosen, while you only hold those types)? Are you then forced to take 1 less skill card?

Sorry, I forgot to add "In this variant, ignore the restrictions on character types from the basic rules." It was in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The restrictions are put in play to help balance the human side, in that every type of skill is presented and every player not only can contribute, but is almost required to contribute at some point to ensure survival of the humans.

The difference being, of course, pilots, as they go out and blow things up (and rarely participate in skill checks).

It sucks though when your pilots turn out to be cylon and declare early

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, and another thing I failed to include:

If playing with 7 players, deal out the 3 cards to each player one at a time, after they decide whether to be a Cylon Leader or not (if one hasn't been chosen).

It may work out better to do it this way anyway, but it kind of doesn't matter except with 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
nullString wrote:
The restrictions are put in play to help balance the human side, in that every type of skill is presented and every player not only can contribute, but is almost required to contribute at some point to ensure survival of the humans.

This variant is more intended for experienced players who have "solved" the character selection phase and want to try a different approach.
A choice of 3 (or more), and knowledge of what people have chosen before you, should still give a rough balance to characters.

Hasn't been tested, but there's plenty of time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Miranda
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a nice change, since i would alaways pick Cain if she's avaiable, and other players would do the same with their favorite characters, but this may lead to situations where the humans lack certain skill cards for checks.
You should try and report your experience!
But you gave me and idea, it's simple but can help you.
What about stacking characters by type, you choose a type and draw a character (or draw 2 choose 1). Then follow the regular rules to character selecting, so the next player needs to choose another kind of character. Or maybe let players draws 2 or 3 characters from any stack, with any combination (2 military, 1 pilot for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nullString wrote:

The difference being, of course, pilots, as they go out and blow things up (and rarely participate in skill checks).

It sucks though when your pilots turn out to be cylon and declare early
Losing any player to a cylon is simply bad. In a 6p base game, Adama and Helo ran off to become cylons. The rest of us were Baltar, Starbuck, Zarek, and Apollo. Those 2 drew alot of green and purple together, and when the crisis cards after them called for a good deal of green and purple that we just tanked them. We also tanked the super crisis cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think that the character type limitations are completely unnecessary when playing with experienced players. The players should be able to recognize what skill types are needed or what abilities would be useful and choose accordingly. The fact that bad choices make the game harder for humans is irrelevant, as anyone who is a cylon doesn't know yet so they can't exactly screw up the character choice.

Even if its true that a perfect balance of character types is best for the humans, players choosing without any restriction can still choose to follow this guideline. They just aren't required to. Giving players more choices shouldn't make the game harder, because a good player won't make a choice that's harmful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Even if its true that a perfect balance of character types is best for the humans, players choosing without any restriction can still choose to follow this guideline. They just aren't required to. Giving players more choices shouldn't make the game harder, because a good player won't make a choice that's harmful.

In theory they can, but in practice, they may not. You have people who will always choose Cain, always choose Baltar, always choose Starbuck, etc. Mix them well enough and you'll have a 3p game with all pilots. Don't get me wrong... I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it would make for a new and exciting challenge, but still doable. The rulebook seems to want to enforce this is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3 player game might not want to use this variant, because entirely half of the characters would be in the "unavailable" stack.
Or perhaps I could modify it to be "Divide Evenly" instead of exactly 3 choices per player.
But it is ultimately just an untested variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eno
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks fine to me, if perhaps a bit more complicated than is warranted for its effect.

If you can come up with some base game version of this that you want to try tomorrow night, I'm game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the idea, although the losing skill cards bit I'm not a fan of. I'd prefer that, after seeing your choice if you decide you don't want any, you take one randomly from the stack of other discarded characters, and that's it, no further choice. Probably not a good choice for the final player to select, but for others it may be fair game.

For base game (10 characters), I'd go for:

Deal 1 character to each player face down, with a stack of 4+ undistributed characters face down. Then, going around in player order, first deal them the top two characters of this stack: They then choose one, revealing it, and put both the others on the bottom of the character stack in any order (they can say the types of those characters). Then the next player draws two and repeats.

This way, each character will have a few chances to be picked but at the same time each person doesn't get a free choice of every character, and I think it preserves the effect the original poster was trying to get.

This could be applied equally with Pegasus and/or Exodus and in fact, you could also modify the number of characters each player sees to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.