Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first solitaire game for the Piecepack that I have tried (as noted here) and I enjoyed the game as it stands. I must admit though, that I was a bit disappointed that the titular pieces in the game were little more than pawns in my hand to do my bidding. I have come up with this variant to make the guards come to life and do some guarding!

Escape From the Cardinal's Guards

a Variant for the Cardinal's Guards

All rules from the original game are in effect except for the following:

1) In this variant, the luring rules are eliminated and Perimeter guards can no longer be captured. Guards can only be defeated or remain at their post. The four coins placed in the player's supply at the start of the original game are not used in this variant.

2) When a new tile is searched, there is an immediate response from the Perimeter guards. When this occurs, a guard matching the suit of the tile just searched leaves the Perimeter immediately and enters the castle to investigate. He lands on the previously searched tile of his suit and if there is a Musketeer (Pawn) on that tile, the Musketeer is killed and removed from the game.

Example: The black Moon Pawn has just landed on the 3 Moon tile and the Moon dice is incremented to 3 to reflect this. A Moon coin from the Perimeter which is closest to the 2 Moon tile leaves the Perimeter and is placed on the 2 Moon tile.

As in the original rules, the only way to remove a guard from the interior of the castle is to enter the tunnel and remove one guard before emerging on a corner tile. The original scoring rules are also used.

The game is much tougher now, but solvable (barely!). You need to plan several moves ahead and choreograph your moves very carefully so as not to strand or ensnare one of your Musketeers by the guards. It is no longer a foregone conclusion that all 4 Musketeers will Escape From the Cardinal's Guards...

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.