Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone in Germany!

My fiancee is moving over to Berlin for 4 months to work in one of the main hospitals before she starts her F1 here in the UK.
The plan is that I'm going to come over with her at the end of January to help move things and we both felt this would be a good opportunity to buy some German board games.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good gaming shops in Berlin and could give me a clear idea of where they are.

Although she's been to Berlin quite a few times this will only be my second visit and the first was spent mainly doing tourist things so my geographical knowledge is not so good.

Danke!

Tom (and by extension Kate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamers-HQ is always a good place to start.

Lepsiusstr.33
12163 Berlin

Gamers-HQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fleming
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The department stores KaDeWe and Galeria Kaufhof both have a very good selection of games, some at excellent prices compared to the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanF wrote:
The department stores KaDeWe and Galeria Kaufhof both have a very good selection of games, some at excellent prices compared to the UK.
Neither of them is a gaming store .. good selection, yes, but you have to know what you are looking for there, because the employees usually know how to sell, but not what they are selling ..

An excellent source for miniatures and miniature gaming is Battlefield Berlin:
http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/
Chausseestraße 93
10115 Berlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and of course the two "spielbrett" stores:

http://www.spielbrett-berlin.de/

One in Kreuzberg (district) on Körtestr. 27 close to the subway station "Südstern" (U7)

the other one in Wilmersdorf (district) on Berliner Str. 132 close to subway "Blissestr." (U7)

they got game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies. Some very exciting looking places to wander round.

No doubt while Kate is doing medic stuff I can be working my way through this list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

I am in Berlin as I type this so hopefully over the coming few days I'll be able to have a look and let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again.
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle Sooo...?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I'd also be interested to know how your fiancee got on over here. I wish my university had allowed me four months before starting my JHO year (as it was called then).

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha Hi Niko, goodness this thread seems like a long time ago.
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and you will be pleased to hear that not only did we find all the shops but spent a little too much on all sorts of exciting games you don't normally see in the UK.
I think for range plus price the bigger stores were better but unless you were willing to risk buying so-so games, which we were, then you're probably better off going to the named stores.

Either way I have now joined her in her love of Germany but I think mine is more games based lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I'm not 100% sure but I understand that most medical students can choose to do an elective for their final placement before they start their F1. I think it was an optional intergration to her course.

Are you working as a medic in Germany at the moment? How are you finding it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, back in the day when I were a lad, we did electives between third and fourth year and fourth and fifth years. I have just been awarded my CCT so have taken a month's sabbatical to do basically nothing. And where better to do that, and to practice my German than Berlin? In my specialty speaking the language fluently is essential and therefore I sadly never see myself practising psychiatry here in Berlin. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Exner
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I am going to Kreuzberg soon, and would like a hard-to-find abstract strategy game that is easier to find in Germany. Any tips of where to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
United States
Flat Rock
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spielwiese in Berlin's hip Friedrichshain cafe district is the best place to go. You can buy games there, but it's also a cafe where you can play any of the 1,000+ games on the shelf while you sip a beer or latte!
Or you can rent games from the shelves to take home with you for an evening. Great place to meet gamers from all around the world! Monday nights local game designers meet to test prototypes on one table, while an international Meetup group meets on the others (see Meetup.com).

Here's a video I made of the place:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls