Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Dominion Turn table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
OK, so I just started playing this game at Thanksgiving and I'm hooked!But reaching across the table and reading all the cards got to be burdensome, so my son-in-law and I designed this turn table. Hope ya like it, we've found it makes the game much more enjoyable as beginners.

From gallery of warthawg
From gallery of warthawg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Among the Stars fanMicrobadge: Obscure reference fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fan
That is AWSOME! But what do you do for Prosperity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Splotter fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Martin Wallace fan
Truly awe-inspiring! Awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
Maxx_Yazz wrote:
D'oh! Always check the expansion before committing designs in wood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winner
The only thing I don't like about the circular design is that it seems to only replace one "problem" (having to reach) with another (having to turn the board every time you take a card). It's also hard to look over all of the cards at once, since most of them aren't facing you. Very eloquently designed though. With the cards facing outward like that, I'm curious as to what happens if someone gets a little overzealous and spins the thing too fast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Steam fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Maxx_Yazz wrote:
That (Platinum/Colony) and Potions in Alchemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: University of OregonMicrobadge: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim fanMicrobadge: African Cichlid fanMicrobadge: Badminton fanMicrobadge: Genealogy Buff
david707 wrote:
Maxx_Yazz wrote:
That (Platinum/Colony) and Potions in Alchemy.
For Alchemy, I would just take the trash out of the turntable. (Trash can get pretty large in some games, any way, which could also be a problem). Could some times remove curses as well to make room for Platinum/Colony, but if you have Montebank or Witch or Sea Hag, etc AND Alchemy cards, you would probably be out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Dominion: Intrigue fan Microbadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
sroney wrote:

For Alchemy, I would just take the trash out of the turntable. (Trash can get pretty large in some games, any way, which could also be a problem). Could some times remove curses as well to make room for Platinum/Colony, but if you have Montebank or Witch or Sea Hag, etc AND Alchemy cards, you would probably be out of luck.
You don't need a communal trash pile anyway, as long as you trust people to not be total slobs.

For Pt/colonies, you could just stack the extra piles on top and give a curse to anyone who knocks them over. Or just make fun of them, if you're a nice person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That turn table looks awesome. Re-arranging 2 of the centre cards should make it even possible to add 2 more spaces for the Platinum and Colony without making the table bigger as it is. Nobody uses Potion cards anyway, so ....... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I respond to all trade offersMicrobadge: Dinosaur Comics fanMicrobadge: Math Trader
ElysiumSA wrote:
It's also hard to look over all of the cards at once, since most of them aren't facing you.
But without it, either all of them are facing you, or none of them are facing you, unless you turn the stacks in varying directions... which then you wind up with something like this, just not rotatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
billsayswow wrote:

But without it, either all of them are facing you, or none of them are facing you, unless you turn the stacks in varying directions... which then you wind up with something like this, just not rotatable.
If you face them all in the same direction you can just turn it towards you to read them all at once, instead of "turn, read, turn, read, turn, read..." Frankly I think the bigger problem is just that the turntable will often be rotated in a different orientation then when you last bought a card, so you will have to look at it the turntable, figure out where the card you want is, then turn it to get the one you want, as opposed to just going "I want a Laboratory, that card is always the far upper left, [grab]."

Once you have read the cards (or after several plays when you pretty much know them all), the cards being upside-down becomes a non-issue, and you can sit newer players on the facing side anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: El ChupacabratwurstMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Green Lantern fanMicrobadge: Corgi lover
ElysiumSA wrote:

Frankly I think the bigger problem is just that the turntable will often be rotated in a different orientation then when you last bought a card, so you will have to look at it the turntable, figure out where the card you want is, then turn it to get the one you want, as opposed to just going "I want a Laboratory, that card is always the far upper left, [grab]."
Yeah, that would totally ruin the game for me. I actually prefer to have my manservant bring each card individually to my litter where I might peruse it at my leisure without interrupting my pedicure. With this turntable, my requested card could be delayed seconds or more. shake

To the OP: Nice design, that's pretty slick. One of the biggest problems we have with new players is the difficulty of remembering what all the cards are. This would make it a little easier for them to inspect them all when they're deciding what to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Yeah, that would totally ruin the game for me. I actually prefer to have my manservant bring each card individually to my litter where I might peruse it at my leisure without interrupting my pedicure. With this turntable, my requested card could be delayed seconds or more. shake
You know, you're right, convenience and speed are overrated, which is why the rotary phone will never be replaced by those silly touch tone things. Why, dialing a phone number in under 30 seconds? Absurd!

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: El ChupacabratwurstMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Green Lantern fanMicrobadge: Corgi lover
Yes, you've hit it on the head, rotary phones and a lazy susan for Dominion are exactly the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Starman fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fan
billsayswow wrote:
ElysiumSA wrote:
It's also hard to look over all of the cards at once, since most of them aren't facing you.
Yeah, but most of my Dominion buds knew all card by memory, and we put new players so that they can read all cards and we just look at the pictures

But anyhow, VERY NEAT design, I'm jealous. Too bad it doesn't accommodate Prosperity all that well (I don't care about Alchemy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for your kind replies. I've recently updated the design to include a couple of wells for tokens:
From gallery of warthawg

Honestly when we designed the turn table we didn't have either Alchemy or Prosperity, as I said we are new to the game.However, keeping in mind that the primary purpose of the turn table was to make it easier for us newbies to read the cards I don't think not having spaces for every expansion card is necessary or maybe even desired. This picture shows how we set up for Prosperity.
From gallery of warthawg

No one needs to read the Curse card, that one I've got memorized. And who wants the town dump (trash) in their kingdom anyway, that's why you conquer other kingdoms whistle

Having said that, I've got a couple of orders from friends and family so I'll consider altering the design, but in all things compromise is inevitable. Much bigger and it may become unstable and have to be bolted down to the table, or too may wells may destabilize the integrity of the wood itself (besides, each new well you cut increases the changes of the router slipping and having to start over soblue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jacobson
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Well done, Stan! I especially like the Cherry wood you used. It goes well on top of that Cherry table too, am I right?

I hope you don't mind if I try to make myself one of these. I love your design. I have three questions.

1. Did you taper the outside card slots so the cards have to be lifted, rather than slid outward? That would solve the cards-flying-out-when-turned-too-fast issue brought up in an earlier post. If so, are the cards hard to remove? I can't tell by looking at the picture.

2. How did you build the actual Lazy Susan mechanism? What hardware did you use.

3. How did you cut the card slots? I was thinking I could build a template and use a flush router bit. Yours just looks so perfect.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Well done, Stan! I especially like the Cherry wood you used. It goes well on top of that Cherry table too, am I right? Yes, the table is curly cherry

I hope you don't mind if I try to make myself one of these. I love your design. I have three questions.

1. Did you taper the outside card slots so the cards have to be lifted, rather than slid outward? That would solve the cards-flying-out-when-turned-too-fast issue brought up in an earlier post. If so, are the cards hard to remove? I can't tell by looking at the picture. No, we thought about tapering the depth, but it really isn't necessary, you really have to spin it pretty hard for the cards to come out. Of course we have only been playing with adults

2. How did you build the actual Lazy Susan mechanism? What hardware did you use.http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001061/572/Lazy-Susan-6-51...

3. How did you cut the card slots? I was thinking I could build a template and use a flush router bit. Yours just looks so perfect.

1. Glue up as many boards as necessary to make a 21" square. (Don't use any biscuits or they will show when you rout out the card wells).

2. Drill a hole the size of a finish nail and use that to spin around and cut a 20" circle on the band saw.Drill it all the way through, this hole will be used again later.

3. Out of a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood cut a jig with a slot that is 2 5/8" x 3 7/8".

4. Clearly mark the center of the 2 5/8" end of the slot and drill a hole the size of the finish nail 6 1/4" from the end of the slot. This will allow you to spin the jig around the center

From gallery of warthawg

5. Divide the outside of the circle into 13 equal parts and draw lines from the center to these points.

6.Stick a finish nail though the jig and through the center of the blank, then line up the center of the jig (the point you marked in step 4). and clamp it down real good. You have 13 of these to cut and you don't want the jig to slip while you are routing out the well, otherwise you throw it out and start with step one!

7.Using a Plunge Router with a 3/4" Collar and a 1/2" Straight Cut bit route out the well.(1/4" deep) Use a sharp bit and keep moving so you don't get burning.

6. Repeat steps 6 and 7, 12 more times.

7.You can then use another scrap to close off the end of the jig for the holes in the center. Make it long enough so you can use it as a guide to line up the three wells. Cut these wells,5/8" deep.

From gallery of warthawg

8.Using a 1" Forstner bit in a drill press cut the finger holes on both sides of the center wells. Drill just a hair deeper than the well so you can get the last card out. Again make sure you clamp it down tight or the bit will catch and walk the wood out of position.

Just a couple of final notes, I can't stress too much that you need to make sure the jig and the blank are always clamped down.Also note that the center wells are 5/8" deep to accommodate all of the Copper cards. If your wood is only 3/4" think there isn't much room to spare. Next one I build will be 1" thick.

Good luck hope I made sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jacobson
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Brilliant! Thanks for the great instructions, pictures, and the Woodcraft link. I never would have thought to spin the template around the center point. That's a great way of keeping everything lined up.

My router does not do plunge cuts so I'll have to improvise. I can imagine a similar design but with two 20" circle pieces glued face to face; the one on top could have the slots cut all the way through, the one on the bottom would be solid. That would get the extra thickness too. Wouldn't be near as pretty though. ...or maybe it's time to buy a plunge router.

Thanks, again, Stan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
If you actually put multiple levels in the middle it would cover the current number of card slots needed and it would be expandable.

Just make it so that a tier can be added in such a way that it rests on the tier or base below while still leaving enough room to grab the cards below. (this would best be done with cards like treasure and victory cards because you wouldn't need to read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
You haven't answered the most important question of all...

How much fun is it to spin it around and around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
Very nice!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: George Romero fanMicrobadge: It's all in the reflexesMicrobadge: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game fan - Flying Frog ZombieMicrobadge: Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game fanMicrobadge: The Thing fan
That's dead sexy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Fenton
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ejacobson wrote:
Brilliant! Thanks for the great instructions, pictures, and the Woodcraft link. I never would have thought to spin the template around the center point. That's a great way of keepingu everything lined up.

My router does not do plunge cuts so I'll have to improvise. I can imagine a similar design but with two 20" circle pieces glued face to face; the one on top could have the slots cut all the way through, the one on the bottom would be solid. That would get the extra thickness too. Wouldn't be near as pretty though. ...or maybe it's time to buy a plunge router.

Thanks, again, Stan

What you need more reasons to get a new tool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
davidglasser wrote:
You haven't answered the most important question of all...

How much fun is it to spin it around and around?
Dammit .. another post that gave away I wasn't doing work at work cuz I laughed so hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |