Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the January 2011 European Maths Trade:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/62984/jan-2011-europea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Whilst noting that Chris is requiring language dependancy to be detailed for each entry, may I go beyond that and ask for the actual language of the game to be stated as well. Language dependancy is subjective and personal opinions may differ as to the degree or extent of any such dependency. Allied with the knowledge of the actual language of the game offered will go a long way to covering all the bases.

Yes I've been caught twice with people stating language independent and picturing the English version of a game, but then sending me either a Dutch or German version. Exactly what I didn't want.

Math Trades are for all of us, so please give as much info as you can about your listings, so that no-one can say they were misled or screwed.

Remember - Happy traders are repeat traders!

Oh yes - many thanks to Chris, yet again, for doing such a thankless task for so many of us around Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

Language dependancy is subjective and personal opinions may differ as to the degree or extent of any such dependency. Allied with the knowledge of the actual language of the game offered will go a long way to covering all the bases.
I would also urge everyone to note the publisher/edition of the game + version language.

Another matter of subjectivity is the condition of the game, but also the condition of the box! Receiving a box with tears or worn corners isn't great when the OP says "game in great condition!". Some people care about these things: yes this is subjective. So instead of a subjective "great, good, excellent" condition, please specify with "card use visible" if appropriate.

If everyone is as transparant as possible, there will be no quibbles.

Thanks again Chris for setting this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:

Another matter of subjectivity is the condition of the game, but also the condition of the box! Receiving a box with tears or worn corners isn't great when the OP says "game in great condition!". ...
It's not subjective, there are clear guidelines in BGG regarding condition:
Quote:

Board Game Geek Condition Policy:

* New - A brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged game in perfect condition. The original packaging and all materials are in brand new condition.
* Like New - Game just removed from shrink wrap. No wear and tear, all facets of the game are intact.
* Very Good - Very minimal wear and tear. All game materials are present. You would give this item to a friend as a gift.
* Good - Minor damage to the box and/or its contents. All game materials are present. Game maybe played once or twice.
* Acceptable - Some damage to the box, but the game is still intact. Possible split corner(s) on the box. Maybe missing a non-crucial game piece. Possibly missing rules/instructions, but are available on the web. Scuffing on the game board.
* Unacceptable - Major damage to box and its parts. Possibly missing several important pieces. Broken or missing board/box. No rules/instructions, and they are not readily avaiable. Do not sell this game on Board Game Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
kronik wrote:

Another matter of subjectivity is the condition of the game, but also the condition of the box! Receiving a box with tears or worn corners isn't great when the OP says "game in great condition!". ...
It's not subjective, there are clear guidelines in BGG regarding condition:
Quote:

Board Game Geek Condition Policy:

* New - A brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged game in perfect condition. The original packaging and all materials are in brand new condition.
* Like New - Game just removed from shrink wrap. No wear and tear, all facets of the game are intact.
* Very Good - Very minimal wear and tear. All game materials are present. You would give this item to a friend as a gift.
* Good - Minor damage to the box and/or its contents. All game materials are present. Game maybe played once or twice.
* Acceptable - Some damage to the box, but the game is still intact. Possible split corner(s) on the box. Maybe missing a non-crucial game piece. Possibly missing rules/instructions, but are available on the web. Scuffing on the game board.
* Unacceptable - Major damage to box and its parts. Possibly missing several important pieces. Broken or missing board/box. No rules/instructions, and they are not readily avaiable. Do not sell this game on Board Game Geek.
Well, a few users don't adhere to these guidelines or dubiously forget that the box itself should be considered when mentioning a game's condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
Well, a few users don't adhere to these guidelines or dubiously forget that the box itself should be considered when mentioning a game's condition.
That gives you right to complain about it in your feedback, or try to obtain compensation from your trade. In the extreme you should complain to BBG Admins about the user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
kronik wrote:
That gives you right to complain about it in your feedback, or try to obtain compensation from your trade. In the extreme you should complain to BBG Admins about the user.
i'm just saying: better to prevent than to cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
kronik wrote:
Joao - that surely misses the point of a Math Trade on a social website like this. We are all working together to make the whole trade as easy, fair and friendly as possible. All offers should be as accurate and complete as possible, all deals should be carried out promptly and efficiently as possible and all feedback should thus be positive in the extreme.

Complaints to Admins, compensation and negative feedback should not form any part of any Math Trade on this site. We all share a mutual hobby and via this great hobby of ours it would be nice to consider all participants as friends. That's my philosophy and I'll stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

Joao - that surely misses the point of a Math Trade on a social website like this. We are all working together to make the whole trade as easy, fair and friendly as possible. All offers should be as accurate and complete as possible, all deals should be carried out promptly and efficiently as possible and all feedback should thus be positive in the extreme.

Complaints to Admins, compensation and negative feedback should not form any part of any Math Trade on this site. We all share a mutual hobby and via this great hobby of ours it would be nice to consider all participants as friends. That's my philosophy and I'll stick with it.
I think you may be missing my point. I was not saying it should be done, I was pointing out that there are rules on BGG and procedures outlined for dealing with the event that kronik noted.

I was not advocating a 'rule of the law' era for math trades as that would effectively kill them. I'm all in favour of joyful and merry, but I've been previously been caught in not-so-accurate descriptions and not-so-willing traders in math trades, and was pointing out from experience that those issues, when not born from a genuine mistake (we all overlook something at some point) have a way of being solved within BGG's rules and policies.

My take on this is, don't do anything to anyone that you don't want done to yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm extending the deadline for adding items to the list by one day to Sunday night. I forgot that I'm away this weekend.

The want list submission date has not changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

I think you may be missing my point. I was not saying it should be done, I was pointing out that there are rules on BGG and procedures outlined for dealing with the event that kronik noted.
Agreed.

jmlima wrote:

My take on this is, don't do anything to anyone that you don't want done to yourself.
Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
I'm extending the deadline for adding items to the list by one day to Sunday night. I forgot that I'm away this weekend.

The want list submission date has not changed.
You're away NEXT weekend presumably?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And AFAIK UK is in the EU...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
unet wrote:
And AFAIK UK is in the EU... :)
Shhhhhhhhhh! They don't know that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unet wrote:
And AFAIK UK is in the EU...
Unfortunate - but true.

crycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing a lot of the same games appearing on each trade, including several that did not trade on multiple occasions. Adding them seems like a waste of time on everyone's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

Unfortunate - but true.
crycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of the same games appearing on each trade, including several that did not trade on multiple occasions. Adding them seems like a waste of time on everyone's part.
Rich,
I agree with your observation - in fact I am one of the guilty ones with my Air Force. My reasoning behind this is two-fold: firstly we do have newcomers coming on board with each new Math Trade, so I may find a buyer there and secondly, having checked the OLWLG for past results and possible trades, I have had a couple of nibbles, so there is a chance it could trade. I also work on the basis that it costs nothing and the more games offered, the larger the pool to find trades.

I am fairly fluid with my wants for it, so there is always some chance of a match. Also it's not a duff game, so can easily feature on some lists.

The multiple games must be down to pure chance. Variety is a big feature of entering MTs, but offers will obviously ebb and flow over the course of many MTs. I have Catan available, but having seen at least 5 appear I won't bother this time. But as they say, there is always another MT around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding the Math Trade Gateway.
How do I remove something from my want list?

I can untag all the games I want to trade for it, but then it still shows up on my want list. How (if possible) can I remove it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:
How do I remove something from my want list?
In OLWLG you can't remove games from your want list. Just uncheck all checkboxes and it's fine as far as the trade is concerned.

If you enter values in the optional value boxes, you can bring games to the bottom of your want list by entering a lower value than for all other games. So, it's out of your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Poulton
United Kingdom
Harleston
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:
Rich,
I agree with your observation - in fact I am one of the guilty ones with my Air Force. My reasoning behind this is two-fold: firstly we do have newcomers coming on board with each new Math Trade, so I may find a buyer there and secondly, having checked the OLWLG for past results and possible trades, I have had a couple of nibbles, so there is a chance it could trade. I also work on the basis that it costs nothing and the more games offered, the larger the pool to find trades.

I am fairly fluid with my wants for it, so there is always some chance of a match. Also it's not a duff game, so can easily feature on some lists.

The multiple games must be down to pure chance. Variety is a big feature of entering MTs, but offers will obviously ebb and flow over the course of many MTs. I have Catan available, but having seen at least 5 appear I won't bother this time. But as they say, there is always another MT around the corner.
To support Chris's point. I've been adding Gobblet to either the UK or Europe Maths Trades, each month, for just over a year now, and just when I didn't expect it to ever shift, I traded it in last months UK Trade .

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

since it`s my first time, taking part in a math trade, I have a newbee question:

How long does it usually take, since I see my game, that I have just added to the trade list, in the Want List Generator?

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andreo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think the geeklist and the OLWLG need to be synchronized manually, so you' ll have to wait until Chris updates all new items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi andreao,

thanks for the reply. Ok, so I´ll wait till my games are also listed in the Want-List-Generator......let`s see how long this will take....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
PHIL4477 wrote:
To support Chris's point. I've been adding Gobblet to either the UK or Europe Maths Trades, each month, for just over a year now, and just when I didn't expect it to ever shift, I traded it in last months UK Trade .
Fair enough. Sorry for my negative post - I was already in a grumpy mood and wading through the 11 pages of the Geeklist only to discover no games I was interested in just made it worse!

Of course, perhaps if I added my very exciting trades it would lead to other very exciting games being added in turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |