GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,197 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Telford Mini-con Sat 9th April 2011 (U.K) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: convention [+] england [+] uk [+] telford [+] gameslore [+] 2011 [+] [View All]
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telford Mini-Con 2011

Telford Mini-Con will be held on Saturday 9th April 2011 at Shifnal Village Hall. Start time is 10.00am and will run until 10.00pm

Games

We'll be running Board and Card Games but if you want to come and encourage others to play your favourite RPG or TCG (Warhammer: Invasion is our current thought) then feel free.

We will arrange a small library of Board and Card Games which may be borrowed during the event.

Attending

Shifnal Village Hall will accommodate up to 120 people, please contact telfordminicon@gameslore.com to reserve a space. Cost of entry will be £5. You will get a free ticket for a prize draw, included will be a unique prize that money can't buy.

Refreshments

There are limited kitchen facilities at the venue, however tea and coffee will be available. There won't be food on the premises, but there is plenty of choice within 200 yards of the venue. (Restaurants, Cafe's, Pub's, Take-aways and Shops)

There will be a bar at the event, so you will only need the local pubs for the pub grub.

Traders

Games Lore Ltd will run a small stall with a limited selection of games at the event, if you want a particular game then it will be safer to let us know in advance.

Either contact us by email telfordminicon@gameslore.com or phone us on 0800 970 2731.

Shifnal Village Hall, Aston Street, Shifnal, Telford, Shropshire TF11 8DW. For location details please see Google Maps.

Shifnal is approximately one and a half miles from J4 of the M54.

Trains run every half hour from Birmingham New Street or Shrewsbury to Shifnal.

Parking is in the Public Car Park next to the village hall, the Railway Station at Shifnal is a short walk away. There are a number of hotels and B&B's within Shifnal that are only a 5 minute walk from the venue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: I have two mini-geeks, 9 and 12 years old. Is there a lower age limit on this one?

(Don't blame you if you ban the 9 year old: she wins everything. Takes after her mother.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pete,

I'm afraid you can only accompany your 9 year and 12 years old if you can prove you can beat them at at least one game.

Otherwise they will have to attend on their own, you'll have to wait outside in the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as children are supervised there is no age limit, I rather suspect (and hope) some of our friends will be bringing their children with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the board games there may be a Call of Cthuluhu Role playing session if there is sufficient interest.

The big news is I can now reveal the main prize of the free prize draw.

It is a Collector's Edition of Warhammer 40k Deathwatch roleplaying game core rule book

This item is not available to buy in shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheldon
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't know about any of that Cthuluhu stuff Steve, but I'm more than happy to offer "The Clock that Sings" for Cthulhu if there are any takers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well however cthulough is spelt. blush I must have been mad to try and spell it.

handgrenadealien wrote:
I wouldn't know about any of that Cthuluhu stuff Steve, but I'm more than happy to offer "The Clock that Sings" for Cthulhu if there are any takers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheldon
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is cthulough the gaelic spelling? Or is it a lake on Craggy Island featured in the lost episode of Father Ted penned by H.P. O'Lovecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the lost episode, if only that was even partly true.

handgrenadealien wrote:
Is cthulough the gaelic spelling? Or is it a lake on Craggy Island featured in the lost episode of Father Ted penned by H.P. O'Lovecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You know, there's something off about that Father Barry Azathoth, Ted..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheldon
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
That would be an ecumenical matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that somewhat similar to protoplasm or antimatter ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheldon
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Think lovecraftian lemon curd & you won't be far off the mark, but I really wouldn't know about that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameslore wrote:
As long as children are supervised there is no age limit, I rather suspect (and hope) some of our friends will be bringing their children with them.

yep, bringing an 8yr old along with myself - so I will be supervised whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you try not playing on the same table as he does, after all, you want some chance of winning lol arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Johnson
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of running a short rpg that is kid friendly - either Cats Dragon or My Monster all by John Wick. N.B. these games are good for adults too - if they have no hang ups about having child-like fun.

In Cats you play a cat. these magical beings have magic in their tails and can see eveil creatures that humans can;t see, and so spend their time protecting humans from these evil beings...

in Dragon, you play young dragons learning how to be a good dragon!

In My Monsters you have to draw your own monster and say what it is called, what it likes, doesn't like, what it sounds like, what it eats and is afraid of - all before you start playing - that is the character creation!

Playing time estimated (from no previous experience with these games) as 1 - 2 hours.

Anyone - especially children - interested?

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea how much the car park costs for the day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Johnson
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Car Parks in Shifnal are free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games played?
Any one got any heads-up as to what games are going to be played? I know people may bring their own and dragoon others, but just wanted a flavour of the event... Any Commands and Colors? Or Battlestar Galactica? Troyes? I could go on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is probable but Dave says he'll have to reread the rules.

BSG I don't know but Mark may bring his copy.

Command and Colours I don't know but some of the guys going do play so may turn up with copies.

Rallyman will be available as Steve's bringing that.

I think it'll be primarily eurogame biased but people are free to bring and play what they want.

Any special requests just note here and we'll see what we can do.

If you want to purchase games best to let us know or make the purchase in advance as we'll have very limited amounts of stock with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has put in a bid for BSG (which I have) with one or two expansions (which I don't)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Johnson
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be bringing C&C both Ancients and Napoleonics, together with Battlestations, Manouever and anything else I can think of that others won't bring. I will also bring a few indie RPGs - Prime TIme Adventures, Cat, My Monster ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Having found out from Games Lore's newsletter that you guys are meeting Saturday I have made plans to drop by; unfortunately these plans aren't 100% compatible with already having arrangements for Saturday morning, so I'll be with you from 2pm-3pm or so through to 8pm-ish - should be enough time for a couple of games anyway and it was good to buy some stuff without paying postage.

I like most of the games from your regular Telford geeklists, and am always happy to try something new. Of things mentioned in this thread, I've been meaning to play Battlestar Galactica and Warhammer Invasion for a while now and will happily read rules in advance if one of these is definitely in the offing. I'll play virtually anything once; Agricola, Brass and Ticket to Ride: Europe are my favourites and I've played a lot of 7 Wonders in the last couple of months.

I placed an order with Games Lore earlier for the World Cup Game and expansions, this is mainly for an Easter break with friends but I certainly don't mind giving it a test drive on Saturday if anyone's up for it. I'll probably bring Brass and Hansa Teutonica as they will fit nicely in my "hand luggage" for the train trip from Liverpool.

Cheers & see you all on Saturday afternoon,
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Johnson
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,
Two others have asked for Battle Star Galactica, and so Mark should be bringing this one along. If he doesn't read this I will try to remind him to play the game in the afternoon...

I have the World Cup Game (and all expansions) and will bring this one along too.

Warhammer invasion - if you have time...

'twill be good to meet you. See you Saturday.

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steve perkins wrote:
Telford Mini-Con 2011

Telford Mini-Con will be held on Saturday 9th April 2011 at Shifnal Village Hall. Start time is 10.00am and will run until 10.00pm

Games

We'll be running Board and Card Games but if you want to come and encourage others to play your favourite RPG or TCG (Warhammer: Invasion is our current thought) then feel free.

We will arrange a small library of Board and Card Games which may be borrowed during the event.

Attending

Shifnal Village Hall will accommodate up to 120 people, please contact telfordminicon@gameslore.com to reserve a space. Cost of entry will be £5. You will get a free ticket for a prize draw, included will be a unique prize that money can't buy.

Refreshments

There are limited kitchen facilities at the venue, however tea and coffee will be available. There won't be food on the premises, but there is plenty of choice within 200 yards of the venue. (Restaurants, Cafe's, Pub's, Take-aways and Shops)

There will be a bar at the event, so you will only need the local pubs for the pub grub.

Traders

Games Lore Ltd will run a small stall with a limited selection of games at the event, if you want a particular game then it will be safer to let us know in advance.

Either contact us by email telfordminicon@gameslore.com or phone us on 0800 970 2731.

Shifnal Village Hall, Aston Street, Shifnal, Telford, Shropshire TF11 8DW. For location details please see Google Maps.

Shifnal is approximately one and a half miles from J4 of the M54.

Trains run every half hour from Birmingham New Street or Shrewsbury to Shifnal.

Parking is in the Public Car Park next to the village hall, the Railway Station at Shifnal is a short walk away. There are a number of hotels and B&B's within Shifnal that are only a 5 minute walk from the venue.

Just a reminder folks. One day to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.