Popular Tags: [View All]
Phillip Humphrey
United States
Sioux Falls
SD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be heading to Atlanta later this week and I would love to do some board game shopping. Because I will just be in the area for a day, I don't need to worry about a place with room to play the games, I'm just looking for a place to shop. Also the shops can be outside of Atlanta, I am willing to go out of the way if the store is worth it.

http://geekdo.com/thread/294366/flgs-of-the-usa-a-list-of-ga...

I have looked through most of the places on this list but it seems a little hard to keep up with all the stores closing, so I wouldn't mind hearing from people who live in the area or frequent it often.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best recommendation I have for you is The Tower. They have a large selection of all types of games from CCG's to Boardgames to Miniatures. Here is their information:

860 Duluth Hwy, Suite 210
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
678-442-1787
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
How about hex and counter wargames, ASL, Gamers, GMT, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McInturff
United States
Newnan
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Michael's nomination. The selection was really good, and the gentlemen that was there the day I visited was extremely knowledgeable and friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend The Tower. Huge selection, open copies of dozens of games, and a great community of gamers. Too bad you don't plan on hanging out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
How about hex and counter wargames, ASL, Gamers, GMT, etc.?

The Tower has these games as well. I've seen as many as 12-14 ASL players on a Saturday afternoon. They get together at least once a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Scarbrough
United States
Lula
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:
The best recommendation I have for you is The Tower. They have a large selection of all types of games from CCG's to Boardgames to Miniatures. Here is their information:

Lawrenceville, GA 30043
678-442-1787

Agreed here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
agree The Tower is awesome. If you are on the northwest side of town Dr. No's is not bad either but that is comics and games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Burdell
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw (around where I-75 and I-575 meet/split) has a selection of board games as well, but probably smaller than The Tower or Dr. No's (the two that I have been to) Of course, it's a big chain store, so the employees probably won't be as knowledgeable about board games.

On a side note, I went by the Hobbytown in Lawrenceville with the intent of buying Dominion: Intrigue for my in-laws. I sent my wife in, who asked where the board games were. The employee said something to the effect of "The only board games we have are Monopoly."

shake

Needless to say, not all Hobbytowns are created equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McInturff
United States
Newnan
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GPBurdell wrote:
On a side note, I went by the Hobbytown in Lawrenceville with the intent of buying Dominion: Intrigue for my in-laws. I sent my wife in, who asked where the board games were. The employee said something to the effect of "The only board games we have are Monopoly."

shake

I was in that Hobbytown around Christmas. You speak true.

Nice handle, btw. THWG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GPBurdell wrote:
Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw (around where I-75 and I-575 meet/split) has a selection of board games as well, but probably smaller than The Tower or Dr. No's (the two that I have been to) Of course, it's a big chain store, so the employees probably won't be as knowledgeable about board games.

shake

As a new employee of Tech and new to the Atlanta Area, I'd have to give props to the Tower for not only its selection but it's staff. All too often have I walked in to game stores and been totally ignored because I wasn't part of the regular crew that gamed there. Not so at the Tower. Great service over the phone and even better in person.

And for not knowing who you were before moving to Georgia Mr. Burdell, you sure turn up in the strangest places Oh and GTHOM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pez
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Striker1965 wrote:
R3sp4wN wrote:

Lawrenceville, GA 30043
678-442-1787

Agreed here as well.

Another vote here for The Tower. Great selection and great staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Warrior
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the quality of their phone service, at least. I called the Tower on a couple of occasions asking if they carried a particular game before I made the 45 minute trip out there, and on both occasions the guy who answered the phone just kind of went, "Uhhhhhh, nah, I don't think so," without apparently bothering to look around the store or check the inventory list on the computer or anything. I wasn't asking for a rare game, mind you (one was Shogun and the other was Battle Cry).

I subsequently visited the store in person because it's the one of the only game stores around, unfortunately, and found that they did carry those games. In fact Battle Cry was part of a prominent display right at the front of the store. The guy I talked to apparently couldn't be bothered to look for thirty seconds.

I still didn't buy the games from them and ended up getting them instead from Tyche's Games in Athens, GA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:

Lawrenceville, GA 30043
678-442-1787

Perfect location! Ill be in Lawrenceville in a week, Ill stop by there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Singleton
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cepheus84 wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the quality of their phone service, at least. I called the Tower on a couple of occasions asking if they carried a particular game before I made the 45 minute trip out there, and on both occasions the guy who answered the phone just kind of went, "Uhhhhhh, nah, I don't think so," without apparently bothering to look around the store or check the inventory list on the computer or anything. I wasn't asking for a rare game, mind you (one was Shogun and the other was Battle Cry).

I subsequently visited the store in person because it's the one of the only game stores around, unfortunately, and found that they did carry those games. In fact Battle Cry was part of a prominent display right at the front of the store. The guy I talked to apparently couldn't be bothered to look for thirty seconds.

I still didn't buy the games from them and ended up getting them instead from Tyche's Games in Athens, GA.

I personally hate that you had that experience. I love the Tower and go there as often as I can.

I hope that phone business happened during the time period where Andrew was between employees and someone who was there was just trying to be nice by answering the phone.

In the past few months there have been A LOT of internal changes as well as a spiffy new website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Welch
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tower, certainly.

I dont feel that any other store in the Atlanta area compares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickdog wrote:
The Tower has these games as well. I've seen as many as 12-14 ASL players on a Saturday afternoon. They get together at least once a month.

Yes, Atlanta ASL meets there the third Saturday every month. Tower is a fantastic place to meet to play as well. If only it was closer to town, I'd be there every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Phillips
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
John,
I want to apologize for your experience at The Tower Game Center. As the owner of The Tower I strive to create the best shopping and gaming experience in Atlanta. Unfortunately my employees do not share the same passion to gaming and commitment to customer service that I do (what employee usually does?). I'm still training the employees we do have to bring them up to the standard of service that I believe every customer that walks through our doors deserves!

If you ever need anything or have a question please call the store and ask for Andrew or email me at andrew@thetowergamecenter.com!

As for everyone else, thank you for your support and making me the best in Atlanta! I do it for you guys (and gals)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in L5P, and while I think the Tower is a good store, there really isn't any game store I know of close and convenient for me to go to regularly, in the middle of the city perimeter where I live. Am I missing some place that is good for folks that never go outside the city proper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schoner
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As a matter of fact, I AM the boss of you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only gaming store I know of inside the Perimeter is Oxford Comics (http://www.oxfordcomics.com). The prices are nothing great, but the selection is pretty good and if you're looking for location, I think it's your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxford Comics and Collectibles has a rather large selection of board games but that is not their main focus. In my experience they are not as focused on board games and so they don't have the knowledge you might get at a proper game store. But you can't beat them for RPG's and they have a guy on staff who does have a good knowledge of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, a well-stocked Barnes and Noble will have about the same amount of games as Oxford, in my experience. If you're looking for something mainstream (and don't mind paying retail) then that's fine. For anything else, you're looking at a long drive or ordering online.

There is a user here that used to own a game store in town which unfortunately closed. He still sells games at really good prices and I believe that you can arrange to meet him in town to avoid shipping. I've been meaning to contact him about order.

Edit: That user is

CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can see the games that he has available in the Marketplace or his profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Muse

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are in the Roswell/ Marietta area, Giga Bites Cafe is a good store devoted to strategy gaming. They do a lot of War Hammer and other table top games.

I am in an Axis and Allies group and we meet there regularly:

http://www.giga-bitescafe.com/index.html

Just to tag along with everyone else on here, I hear that the Tower is a great gaming store on the Lawrenceville/ Gwinnett side of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Warrior
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response. I hope I did not seem too negative about your store- in fact it is the largest and nicest hobby store I have come across in Georgia. A lot of FLGS suffer from a terrible case of clutter but the Tower was nicely laid out, with all the merchandise clearly visible on shelves instead of spread all over the floor or haphazardly stacked up against the walls. The separation of the gaming area from the merchandise area is also a nice touch given the tendency of the two to spill over into each other and interfere with customers who simply want to browse.

As you mention the only thing that irritated me was the quality of customer service. Tyche's Games in Athens is pretty small and cluttered but the proprietor John (I believe that is his name) is very friendly and engages you as soon as you walk through the door. Generally customer service will probably trump all other factors when it comes to assessing the quality of a store.

Once you get the customer service kinks worked out I think you will have a great store in your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls