Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winter 2010/2011 Kit-Con in Elgin, IL (see eaglegamers.org for details) is just weeks away and we're going to host a second math trade...

Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/63619/winter-20102011-...

Games For Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/63621/winter-20102011-...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating a wants list (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll never give something away and get something you didn't want in exchange for it! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key Dates and Times (All times are at 10 pm Central Time)

Open for posting games: Now - Feb 2, 2011

Want list submission period: Feb 2 - Feb 6, 2011

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

Please note that errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you make a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can make multiple changes to your wants BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, February 12th, 2011 at 2 pm to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items.

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

Some Simple Rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at the above time/location (unless you make other arrangements). If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but please don't let it come to that.

* Gift certificates and Geekgold (GG) are allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage is not (i.e. don't put up a $25 gift certificate and put a $30 gift certificate in your wants for it... that will be disallowed). DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are also permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description. This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you MUST inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete because the person giving it to you told you it was. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

Other Useful Information

OLWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Wants List Submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are now available here:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Only 3 total trades with 59% of the want lists submitted. soblue

Update: Only 6 total trades with 70% of the want lists submitted. Increasingly grim sobluesobluesoblue

Update: Woot! 38 total trades with 82.4% of the want lists submitted. Much more encouraging!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reidzilla wrote:
Wow! Only 3 total trades with 59% of the want lists submitted. soblue

Update: Only 6 total trades with 70% of the want lists submitted. Increasingly grim sobluesobluesoblue

Update: Woot! 38 total trades with 82.4% of the want lists submitted. Much more encouraging!
Yeah, I've noticed that these things just seem to come together at the end and you can't worry about early results too much... but the early results are fun to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I see these early results? This is my first math trade, so it's all new to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMan2k3 wrote:
How do I see these early results? This is my first math trade, so it's all new to me.
The second message in this discussion forum are the only results available until the trade is over. It seems to have become customary to post a list of who hasn't submitted wants along with the current overall trade stats and, as I enjoy it, I do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that don't check the 2nd message in this thread for updates... you can now see results in the OLWLG here:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these results now "Official"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reidzilla wrote:
Are these results now "Official"?
I've never really done the whole unofficial results thing as the trade's policy is that everyone is responsible for their own entries/mistakes and the software has been established to work quite well (i.e. no software errors). I think arbitrage is generally the only thing admins check for and there weren't any gift cards in this trade so that's out. And if there's a legitimate issue then I don't see that everyone should have to hover over their computer from 10pm-11pm on a Sunday night analyzing the trade.

So, to make a long story longer... yes, unless you get the incredibly unlikely geekmail followup from me about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alan.

This really is fun (and getting a bit addictive too) blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
Thanks Alan.

This really is fun (and getting a bit addictive too) blush
If you think this is fun then you need to try one of the larger scope no-ship trades that generate 800+ items like the Origins one (and the Fire & Ice one [which starts item submission later today] which had over 700 last time).

The ship ones are rough because of shipping. It becomes pointless IMHO to trade anything under $20 in value unless it's tiny and even then the $10 or so in shipping make it tough to work a trade. I've done a handful of trades with them, but only to get stuff I *really* wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hansen
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this Alan. It too was my first time. Quite fun. I was a bit surprised to look at the results. I thought this was just merely a trade if someone else wanted something you have and they had something you did. But I now see the results and this must be some complicated program as I am giving to people and receiving from others. But it seemed to do a quite fair job with what I requested though I cannot quite figure out the route it took to get me those trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDHan wrote:
Thanks for running this Alan. It too was my first time. Quite fun. I was a bit surprised to look at the results. I thought this was just merely a trade if someone else wanted something you have and they had something you did. But I now see the results and this must be some complicated program as I am giving to people and receiving from others. But it seemed to do a quite fair job with what I requested though I cannot quite figure out the route it took to get me those trades.
If you click on the results-official.txt file at the top of the trade results link I posted it will show you the trade loops. And yes, that's the whole idea behind a math trade. It's hard to get those 1:1 trades going so this builds loops such that you choose what you'd accept in exchange for giving your game to someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls