Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm spending the next week in NYC, staying in Times Square. Never been to the city before, very exciting.

I'd appreciate any gaming related recommendations for places to go. Are there any REALLY GOOD stores that I'm going to hear about later? "You missed going to *SOMEPLACE*? Man you should have gone there!"

Thanks,
-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look good. The only one I know is in the same street the Empire State Building is in....What is that 33rd? 34th? Some other geek will help you out. Good selection, but expensive.

But hey, have fun in the city. Go see a show, the Marriot Marquise (46th Street?) - right there on Times Square - has a nice rotating restaurant / lounge on the 46th floor. Check out the lights at night from there. Have a couple of drinks - enjoy.

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
go see spamalot, the holiy grail musical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
The store he's referring to is The Compleat Strategist, near the corner of 33rd and 5th. www.thecompleatstrategist.com

Great selection, but almost all at MSRP. Good to stop in for a visit, but I rarely buy there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
go see spamalot, the holiy grail musical

Good luck getting tickets.

I got some for August 31st

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bregoli
United States
Westfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my mind, the premiere gaming store in New York is Neutral Ground.

http://www.neutralground.com/

Also might want to check out Kings Games, but it's in Brooklyn, not Manhattan.

http://www.kingsgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea on Spamalot. I bought my tickets months ago, sitting 3rd row center off the aisle. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Kaiser
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat Strategist has a huge selection of board, strategy and war games in a rather cramped space. They are quite helpful too, and I bought a lot of games there while was working in NYC.

Neutral Ground is more focused on collectible card games, miniatures, RPGs, but also has a limited selection of board games. They also have LAN gaming and a relatively large number of gaming tables (usually ccupied by a crowd of shady-looking M:tG players).

For the average board game geek, I recommend the compleat strategist, but they are within walking distance of each other, so you can check them out both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final follow-up on my Manhattan adventure. Did find The Compleat Strategist, actually was in the neighborhood twice and dropped by a second time as friends rushed me the first visit. Wow, good store, lots of stock and good staff. Yeah, mostly retail prices but I did pick up a couple small items.

One of the semi-local game stores, Match Play in Los Altos CA, was a branch of Neutral Ground for a while but broke off to become Match Play again recently. It's actually where the Silicon Valley Boardgamers meet. It was good to see the home base here, but again we were only there for a week so I didn't actually sit down and play anything.

We had a great time in NYC, thanks for all the tips!
-Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls