9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Whatever happened to... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The games store on Devonport Road in Tauranga. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have vanished, replaced by some average looking cafe.

Has it moved? Or worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendoug wrote:
The games store on Devonport Road in Tauranga. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have vanished, replaced by some average looking cafe.

Has it moved? Or worse?
Are you talking about the one that was mostly an internet cafe, but had a selection of games and (I think) comics or codex books?

They basically moved further up the road. They've got more space but they're harder to find these days. They still sell games, but the interweb service is by far their biggest earner.

The only other brick and mortar retailers I know of in the area are Just 4 Fun (a good selection of games, plus puzzles and chess sets) on Maunganui Road and Battlezone (mostly miniatures but they have a few games) on Girven Road.

There are also a couple of online retailers based in Tauranga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
They moved to a larger store up the road. Their website: http://www.thegateway.co.nz/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

seriouslyboard wrote:
Nintendoug wrote:

Has it moved? Or worse?
Are you talking about the one that was mostly an internet cafe, but had a selection of games and (I think) comics or codex books?

They basically moved further up the road. They've got more space but they're harder to find these days. They still sell games, but the interweb service is by far their biggest earner.

The only other brick and mortar retailers I know of in the area are Just 4 Fun (a good selection of games, plus puzzles and chess sets) on Maunganui Road and Battlezone (mostly miniatures but they have a few games) on Girven Road.

You need to open a show room David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

seriouslyboard wrote:
Nintendoug wrote:

Has it moved? Or worse?

You need to open a show room David
I'd love to, but everything has a cost...and I still work a full time job!

That's why we use other methods to stay visible: sponsorship, interviews, etc. We have other ideas in the pipeline, too. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Pedro Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tauranga seems to be a hive of gaming activity. Is there something in the water..something in the water....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
Tauranga seems to be a hive of gaming activity. Is there something in the water..something in the water....?
Haha...yes, it's the water that comes from the Brooke... shake

Hey, who threw that tomato?!? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
yes it's like an Arkham Horror scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to call in next time I'm down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide