Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plantation

Entry for the Quick Print and Play Design Challenge

Tags: Card game, exploration, territory building
Mechanic: Card drafting, tile (card) placement

Ages 10+
2 to 4 players
30-45 minutes

In Plantation, two to four players compete in building plantation empires in the New World. Each card in the deck represents a colony, complete with several plantations: sugar, wheat, indigo, coffee, and tobacco. Players take turns "discovering" colonies (collecting cards), "settling" them (playing cards into their play area), "harvesting" from them (collecting VPs), and taking other actions intended to construct the most effective plantation society. The key to the game is to place cards in such a fashion that plantations of the same type are adjacent to each other. Harvesting from these chains of like plantations yields enormous bonuses in victory points. But watch out, for there are obstacles to overcome. Harvesting is not free, and players must generate the income necessary to produce. Additionally, geographic barriers cost gold to overcome, while native empires diminish harvest chains. And pirates lurk nearby, waiting to disrupt the plans of even the cleverest colonial planner. The game is over when there are no more colonies to be discovered. The player who wins will be the one who most effectively expands their empire, and gains its treasure.

Video introduction to Plantation

Game files
Only the first two files are required for play.
Having trouble downloading or can't get access to GoogleDocs? Geekmail me and I'll send you .pdfs.

coffeeRules file on google docs
cornCards file on google docs
tobaccoComponents file on google docs
indigoExtra components on google docs
sugarRules file (low ink version)
cornCard file (low ink version - print in grayscale)

Preview images
(Consult files above for all latest versions)

Rulebook (consult files above for latest version)

Summary of play

Component sheets

Extra component sheets

These extras exceed the contest's 6-page limit. They are not necessary for play, but may be used. One page is composed of card backs. The other page consists of extra cards, which may be added to the deck for a five-player game, and player aid cards.

Plantation now has an official page. Latest game files will be available there once contest closes.
Please check out my other Quick PnP Design Challenge entry: Iron Horses

Design notes

The inspiration for Plantation was reading about Innovation, a game I subsequently purchased, and don't particularly care for. I thought the idea of splaying cards was innovative, and wondered what I could do with it. I've been working through some ideas for a map game based on plantation empires, so this would be the "express" version of that. I stole plantation types from Puerto Rico, since they were familiar, and, well, accurate. None of my splaying ideas worked out, as they created too much freedom and made scoring points too easy. So I reverted to a mechanic where cards are placed in a simple orthogonal adjacent manner.

The game is all about timing. Players build, build, and build, and then try to reap bountiful harvest before the deck runs out. It's not so easy to divert others from their plans, as one must carefully consider his opponents' cards to develop a strong sense of their strategies. There's a little bit of "screwage" involved, particularly with pirates, which can be nasty if played aggressively. But there's much satisfaction in finally developing that enormous chain of plantations and reaping the harvest.

I was hoping to contribute something interesting with the way gold is spent on card draws. It works ok, but needed tweaking. The entire money system needed to be more tightly aligned to the rest of the game. Either it had to matter, or it had to go. Now, gold is crucial, for without it, one cannot harvest. This is all true to life, with gold representing the cost of investing in the effort to harvest. In future editions, it might be possible to unbalance the mix of plantations, so that more valuable ones would appear less frequently but near valuable extras (like royal favors); these would also cost more to harvest. As the game developed, we also had to weaken pirates, and permit obstacles to be permanently overcome.

I hope you enjoy the game, and would love to hear any constructive criticism, positive or negative.

FAQ:
I will keep this space updated with rules questions that arise during the voting period.

Edit: updated all files and condensed thread into this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice art and design!

I love empire building games, so I expect to be building and trying this one out. Last contest I built a couple of the entries "too soon" and this time Jack is disallowing any changes at all after the entry deadline (good call IMO) so I'm going to wait until the entry period closes.

(edited to remove tutorial on how to do inline images)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes really wanting to get home so i can read through your submission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok 2 points of confusion

you mention in the beginning of the rules the game takes 3 rounds. at the end of the rules you say you play until no cards can be drawn.

you have 2 different icons for the fallow fields. does each do a different thing? and if so why do they have the same name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Terry
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

I am really loving the look of this game, I intend to print it out and play it over the weekend. So far the game system and theme I have found to be the most attention grabbing yet, for me personally anyway. I really look forward to giving it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Todd: thanks for your kind comments, and for catching me out on a few things.
1. "three rounds" was inadvertent holdover from earlier draft. i'll correct it in next upload.
2. fallow fields: yep, used that twice. i made the wildcard icon "open field" and the re-harvest icon "slash and burn."
3. agreed that "fast ships" should be differently represented. re-doing all those cards will have to wait until a later version of the game.

@Lewis: thanks! i really appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Glad you joined in Patrick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very nice.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Pretty cool that the cards are kind of like circular tokens that I don't have to cut out! We all love circular tokens but they are such a pain ni the ass to cut out. Now I get 6 on one card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plantation made it to the table last night. We had a very productive playtest session. I'm putting in place some rules changes. If you're following this, please find the most recent version of files on the google docs links, rather than the image uploads above.

Larger changes include altering gold system so that it is largely closed, scaling down the power of pirates a bit, and tweaking the number of cards in the game by number of players. I'll have to re-do a few cards, most notably those with mountain icons.

Overall, though, I think it was a very productive playtest session. The game is basically solid. We played two and three-handed (I hope to get a 4-player going next weekend), and it help up well. It feels a bit like multi-player solitaire, as players are really trying to maximize their card placements for harvests.

Yet it's important to deny other players cards valuable to them. And players can madden each other through the pirate. Other special icons, like open fields, are equally powerful. And cards with mountains or native empires are sufficiently poisonous to create dead spots on the table (in a good way). In sum, I think this is shaping up as a light but strategic game well-suited for 2-4 players with a half-hour to kill.

Plantation ready for play:

Thanks to
Fabian Rueger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Mike N.
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Edited: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
new ruleset up:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a video introduction to the game. Please be gentle -- I'm not a videographer, and am just learning how to do this properly.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B77dmccV8JdzNzA4MjYzOGMtZWM...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP for the entry being updated with final game files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice to hear your voice. watching now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, man. should be done by the end of the weekend. need to update the example illustrations in the rulebook.

was able to get a gamepage, yay!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92846/plantation

i'd like to prep a sellsheet or cover art for the game page, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
put a fork in me, lads, because i am *done*.
Plantation is complete.
good luck to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
prael wrote:
put a fork in me, lads, because i am *done*.
Plantation is complete.
good luck to all!

Do you have it all collected into a pair of PDFs: cards and rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
prael wrote:

You should move the back of the "first player" marker to the far right so the sheet can be printed front and back on the same piece of cardstock. Thus all the harvest and pirate tokens would be easy to differentiate since they won't have "blank" sides.

The rules should explicitly state that the cards have to line up along the whole edge. So that this is illegal:
XX
XXYY
XXYY
YY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you have it all collected into a pair of PDFs: cards and rules?

yes, the links that say:

Game files

Rules file on google docs

Components file on google docs

Extra components on google docs

Maybe I'll try to highlight these....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
The rules should explicitly state that the cards have to line up along the whole edge. So that this is illegal:
XX
XXYY
XXYY
YY

The cards do *not* have to line up along a whole edge. The rules state: "Place the card face up on the table, orthogonally adjacent to any previously played Colony cards. At least one edge of each card must be adjacent to the edge of one other card at all times."

So just one edge is necessary. So a configuration like this is ok:

XX
XXXXX
XX
XX

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You should move the back of the "first player" marker to the far right so the sheet can be printed front and back on the same piece of cardstock. Thus all the harvest and pirate tokens would be easy to differentiate since they won't have "blank" sides.

Good idea -- will see if I can get that done. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
prael wrote:

Quote:
XX
XXYY
XXYY
YY

The cards do *not* have to line up along a whole edge. The rules state: "Place the card face up on the table, orthogonally adjacent to any previously played Colony cards. At least one edge of each card must be adjacent to the edge of one other card at all times."

So just one edge is necessary. So a configuration like this is ok:

XX
XXXXX
XX
XX

Thanks!

That's not what the rules say:
Quote:
Place the card face up on the table,
orthogonally adjacent to any previously played Colony cards. At least one edge of each card must be adjacent to the edge
of one other card at all times. Place the card in “portrait” orientation, with the card number at the bottom.

Shouldn't that be "At least PART of one edge of each card must be adjacent to PART of the edge of anothe card. No cards may overlap."?

Not a single example in your rules shows cards aligned in this way.

"Portrait", so no rotations, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused.

Quote:
That's not what the rules say:
Quote:
Place the card face up on the table,
orthogonally adjacent to any previously played Colony cards. At least one edge of each card must be adjacent to the edge
of one other card at all times. Place the card in “portrait” orientation, with the card number at the bottom.

Isn't that exactly what I quoted?

So I'm not sure I understand what I'm missing. I was trying to say simply that cards go next to each other. So if an O is an empty space, this is fine (if unlikely):

XXX
OOXX
XXXXX
OOOOXXX

Does that make sense? Is there a way I can more effectively state this in the rules?

"No cards may overlap" is helpful.

Quote:
"Portrait", so no rotations, right?

That's correct.

Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe there's confusion when I said
Quote:
The cards do *not* have to line up along a whole edge.

because I understood you to be using "edge" as more than 1 cardside. The sense was: "One side of a card must always be fully adjacent to the side of one other card." But you were asking if cards could overlap, as in (say) Innovation (they cannot). Apologies if that created confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
prael wrote:
I'm confused.

Look at my diagram again: Each LETTER is an icon on a card. Each 2x3 arrange of letters is a CARD. The following example shows only 2 cards:
XX
XXYY
XXYY
YY

Is that legal?

The rules state: At least one edge of each card must be adjacent to the edge of one other card at all times.

That does not say whether the whole edge must align. In all the pictures, the edges align. Example of 5 cards:

AABBDD
AABBDD
AABBDD
CC EE
CC EE
CC EE

If the FULL edge does not have to abutt another FULL edge, you should say so more explicitly and provide examples. Example of 5 cards:

BB
BBDD
AABBDD
AA DD
AACCEE
CCEE
CCEE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
got it.

Quote:
XX
XXYY
XXYY
YY

Is that legal?

no. the entire side of a card must join the *entire* side of another. the *whole* edge must align.

thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.