Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be a tricky review. I only played two wargames as such in my life, this one and War & Peace ages ago, so I don't know exactly how to handle this, but I'll try my best. Any feedback on how I should have made a better review will be very welcome.
I guess I should say that I bought this game because I am from La Coruña (the Coronne of the title), so as soon as I saw a game based on our local battle I had to have it. The historical comment on the battle is one of the best parts of the set, giving an accurate impression of how things went and why this battle was in the end relevant to the fate of the Peninsular War.
The troops are the French forces on one side, and British and Coruña Volonteers on the other. French leader is Márechal Soult, and British leader is Gen. Sir John Moore. The rulebook includes three possible scenarios, two of them depicting the initial skirmish outside Coruña (Scenario 1), and the actual battle (Scenario 3), and the other is a simpler, ficticious, training game to get the rules correct (Scenario 2). There are two (very good) separate maps included, one for Scenario 1, and the other for Scenarios 2 and 3.
The game is divided in turns of 20 minutes (see picture), each divided in phases, always the same. The player moving units is the active player, the other is the reactive player.
The cavalry goes first (charging if the player wants, melée afterwards). After the resolution of the cavalry phase, infantry and artillery move (Manoeuvre), attracting fire from the reactive player under some circumstances. After the Manoeuvre is done, the Fire phase begins, and once it is finished, goes the Melée phase. The last is the Reorganization phase. Once it ends, the time counter moves forward, and the former reactive player is now the active player, and turn begins again, in the same order.
There are several ways the units can deploy, each with its advantages and drawbacks. For example, units of tiralleurs (allowed to shoot at two hexes range) must be deployed in Line formation, and the counter must be showing the back side, where the combat information is.
This was for me the most difficult part, to learn the formations and their restrictions (when a unit can't adopt one of the particular formations). Once you have it sorted out, the rest is easier, because there are several tables to help you with the movement and fire.
The objective of the British troops, as it was in real life, is to resist the French attack and evacuate the troops through the Coruña Port, embarking units there in the Royal Navy Ships provided. The French objective is to stop the Bristish from evacuate, by taking control of the Corunna Port, or destroying the British units before the Ships arrive.
The gameplay is fast (the rulebook recommends to stop each Manoeuvre phase at ten minutes, no matter what), and I guess that fairly easy to people used to La Bataille series. For non-wargamers, I'd say that this game is a good place to start, with a small map, and not very large forces involved.
The real battle was historically interesting:In the end, British troops manage to get evacuated, and that gave them time to come back with a vengeance, so it contributed to the final defeat of the French Army in the Peninsular War. Nonetheless, "Corogne" is one of the battles that appear in the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, so the French considered it a victory (British were expelled, and Sir John Moore was killed by a cannon ball), but in the long term that was not so.
Well, this is basically what I had to say about the La Bataille de Corunna. I plan to post some session reports soon, with new images, to try and clarify some aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enrique, nice review! If and when you want to try them, revised rules for the La Bataille system appear on this website, under the "Rules" tab:

http://labataille.us/index.shtml

The tab labelled "The Games" has revised game-specific rules to fit these new system rules. Corruna and several other games have been completed, while the volunteers work on the remaining games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
@ mr_peabody
You should put that link in the links section, so it's easy to find for anyone visiting this games page!

@ kikerl
Liked the review. Yeah, I expect every wargamer to have a soft spot for battles/historical events round his place.

One comment:
Use the camera button (inse5rt geekimage) to insert the pic you're referring to directly into your review. I still have no clue what pic you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post the link please just use http://labataille.us and drop the index.shtml in case the file name changes in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the tip.
[ImageID= 233086]
This was the image I was talking about. It depicts the turn sheet, with the sequence of the phases, and the timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
kikerl wrote:
Thank you so much for the tip.

This was the image I was talking about. It depicts the turn sheet, with the sequence of the phases, and the timing.
As I did above, loose the space and add medium (or large, small or original, for that matter). Use the quote function if you wanna see how somehow build his post/review/answer.

Inserting pics in a review is always a good idea as 1 picturesays more than a thousand words, as they say.

Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guerrero
Spain
Chiclana
Cádiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Studying some sources abouot the battle it looks British force has more artillery than in the OB. Exaclty one company per division.

Anyone know any reason to have reduced british artillery?

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of stuff had already been loaded on the ships. Imagine you were trying to embark an army. What would take the longest? What is the most valuable; etc?

You load the guns first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.