Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first review on a PnP game. Note...its not my first time playing one but it is my first time doing a review. So on to the details...

Overview:

The basic setup is that it is D-Day. Just before the invasion your a Airborne trooper dropping behind enemy lines to try to disable a gun bunker prior to the allies landing. Your dropped a short distance from the target. Your objectives (in basic game at least) are to find some explosives at a Ammo Dump location...then find the entrance to the Bunker...fight your way through the bunker to find the Gun Control room. Destroy the guns...then in a mad desperate run...get out.

Components:

Ok...following my normal review format I had to include all criteria. I ended up printing my own set as I have a pretty nice printer and plenty of sleeves at my disposal etc. Everything came out real nice. the art for the tiles and cards is all very well done. In particular the layout of the Event cards is done very well in my opinion. The simplicity of how it shows what decision you make based on your location is done very well.

Also the way the layout was done to us the cards for so many purposes like equipment and even the colored number circles to use for variants is well done.

Mechanics:

The mechanics are simple but rewarding. In general your making decisions each turn to either complete the event...evade from the event (taking damage but potentially less then if you stayed)...heal (which burns an extra card and thus your time to succeed on your mission) etc.

In essence you have 24 Event cards which is your "Clock". If your not able to get the explosives, enter the bunker, destroy the guns and escape before those 24 cards are gone...you lose.

Its well done for what I feel it was trying to achieve.

Fun Factor:

Well I have played about 10 games of the Basic version of the game. I think I have won 4 times. My son who is 9...this morning started playing it and couldnt stop. He loved it. He played about 10 games...and probably won 6. He started even adding in "Harder" game rules like 2 cards to "Rest" and doing a random "Bad Drop" card etc.

The game is fun for what it is. A quick WW2 themed solo game of destroying a enemy gun bunker. The combination of the tiles and cards just work great.

Overall:

In closing we love it. My son and I are already looking at printing up some of the expansions....in particular the Geronimo expansion which adds 40 new Event cards to spice things up more. Its a great fun little game. Highly recommended.

Notes:

As I mentioned above we printed our own set. I can tell you how we did our for those interested. Basically we printed the fronts on one piece of paper...the back on a separate one. Then I had normal card sleeves. I also have like 4-5 decks of just regular playing cards I bought from a Dollar store for like $.50 a deck. Just put the playing card in between the front and back inside the sleeve and it gives the card thickness to be playable just fine.

On the tiles...we just basically taped the cut out square to a playing card...then used a paper cutter (my wife has for crafts) to trim them to a square shape.

It all turned out well. Im considering making a second set but printing the tiles to a full page sticker sheet...then attaching the stickers to a precut thick stock board of some kind from a craft store. Just to make the tiles nicer.

Anyway...thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, and glad you and your son enjoy this little game!

If your son enjoys the "bad drop" optional rule, I strongly suggest using the small "Currahee!" expansion, which makes the parachute drop much more interesting. It adds only about a minute of gameplay, but I believe it enhances the whole airborne experience.

E

PS: And if you like zombies, don't forget to try "Airborne in my Pocket"'s father, the classic Zombie in my Pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much and we will give it a try. I would bet my son played about 25 games of this yesterday lol. We figured out the advanced rules and he was off and running.

Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See Abimp makes the world a better place.Bringing families together .What a great game !!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.