Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Any game stores in Fargo (N.D.)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a trip coming up to Fargo. Any game stores in town? I shop for wargames and 2nd hand (used) games (many varieties).

Also, since it is an overnight trip, if there is anyone looking to play a game, let me know and I might be able to work something out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not much for wargaming stores in Fargo. You might be able to find something at Paradox Comics, but it's unlikely and very hit and miss.

However, if you're looking for a night of wargaming, drop me a line and we'll see what we can arrange!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I might add that yours truly lives in the area as well - feel free to let me know when and where you will be around!

Oh - and J&J Games (an ebay game seller and also on the marketplace here on BGG) is based in the area and offers local pick up, so if you see something for sale in their Ebay store and on here in the marketplace, you can buy it and pick it up to save on shipping.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offers. The whole trip turned into a mess. The first night, I got back from the field calls at 9:00. I was dead-tired from all of the travel and turned in early. The next night was something of the same. Being mid-week and late, I figured any chances of gaming were gone.

You dudes are tough. I'll give you that. I never experienced cold like that!!! Brrrr. I have never been chilled to the bone like that, and we had 8" of snow and 6 degrees here a few weeks ago (go ahead and laugh, but I once thought that was cold).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you experienced our wonderful climate and lovely snow accumulation? surprise

It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while you just accept that you can't feel your extremities from December until March and deal with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rat hunt
msg tools
Is Paradox comics in the mall? My son loves boardgames and we make an annual trip to Fargo every year. We have been to that store and there doesn't seem to be very much variety as I recall. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rathunt wrote:
Is Paradox comics in the mall? My son loves boardgames and we make an annual trip to Fargo every year. We have been to that store and there doesn't seem to be very much variety as I recall. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

It is located downtown. They are actually having their tabletop night tonight, and all boardgames are 20% off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin LeFrancois
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Test
Is there anywhere else in town? Playing a trip also but want to find the best variety.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paradox is your best bet, but you can also go to Hobby Hut in Moorhead, the city right next to Fargo. They have a smaller selection but they do have a clearance rack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hammer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Paradox is your best bet, but you can also go to Hobby Hut in Moorhead, the city right next to Fargo. They have a smaller selection but they do have a clearance rack.

Actually, Hobby Hut just moved out to Fargo recently.

There was also Little Big Wars that opened a year ago, but it's kind of an out of the way place, near downtown.

There's also one that opened in Moorhead next to the old Dairy Queen, called The Dragon's Hoard.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eradose wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:
Paradox is your best bet, but you can also go to Hobby Hut in Moorhead, the city right next to Fargo. They have a smaller selection but they do have a clearance rack.

Actually, Hobby Hut just moved out to Fargo recently.

There was also Little Big Wars that opened a year ago, but it's kind of an out of the way place, near downtown.

There's also one that opened in Moorhead next to the old Dairy Queen, called The Dragon's Hoard.

Little Big Wars is the place to go if you are a mini's gamer.

Hobby Hut has a very limited selection but they will order just about anything.

Dragon's Hoard is trying to get things rolling but it is more of a Magic hangout (which is fine, you just aren't going to see much boardgame action going on there - they do have a RPG night which is pretty cool though)

Paradox consistently has all of the new release boardgames and lots of classics as well. They have a monthly game night where they do giveaways and offer discounts on everything in the store. Really the best spot to get your local boardgames in the area. They are so good to me as a repeat customer, I just don't order online anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! There is another thread that discusses game groups in the Fargo/Moorhead area (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/452886/fargomoorhead-area-l...) which seems more appropriate to my comment. Unfortunately, the last comment was 7 years ago. This thread, while not exactly the topic I am looking for, has more recent responses.
Anyway, long story short, I am moving to the area and I was looking for a gaming group. I am moving there in June and I have not found much online about game groups in the area. Any suggestions? Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I live here and have a boardgame night every other week. Reach out once you move!


Tlalox wrote:
Hi there! There is another thread that discusses game groups in the Fargo/Moorhead area (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/452886/fargomoorhead-area-l...) which seems more appropriate to my comment. Unfortunately, the last comment was 7 years ago. This thread, while not exactly the topic I am looking for, has more recent responses.
Anyway, long story short, I am moving to the area and I was looking for a gaming group. I am moving there in June and I have not found much online about game groups in the area. Any suggestions? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks! I'll be definitely reaching out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Botz
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Angel,

What kinds of groups are you looking for? I know a few different groups with different dynamics. I can get you in touch when you are local. I'm trying to get one off the ground as well but scheduling has been the most difficult hurdle as of late. Welcome to the area and hopefully we can find you exactly what you are looking for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maldroth wrote:
Angel,

What kinds of groups are you looking for? I know a few different groups with different dynamics. I can get you in touch when you are local. I'm trying to get one off the ground as well but scheduling has been the most difficult hurdle as of late. Welcome to the area and hopefully we can find you exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply! I like a wide range of games, though I definitely prefer to play games with little luck or where you can mitigate your luck. Lighter games with lots of luck can be fun but 1) they need to be played with the right crowd (noisy people with lots of talk/trash talk) and/or mood and 2)I probably cannot play them all the time. As for particular tastes, I prefer area control, dudes on a map games, worker placement, games with asymmetric powers/abilities, and heavier euros.
But like I said, I am very flexible. In my current group, we are normally the same 5-6 guys and we rotate who chooses the games we play for our weekly meetup. That way everyone gets to play their favorites and, because we have different tastes, we end up playing a big variety of games.
If you want to see what games I like, my collection is up to date. Again, thanks for the offer and reply. I am excited to move to the area and I would love to find a local game group there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally moving to the Fargo/Moorhead this week so GM sent. Thanks guys for your comments and help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls