Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Empire, Wednesday 16th February 2011.

I decided to use Dr Sabin's rule tweaks for this, my first game.

I think the early part of the game went as expected. Macedon expanded under Alexander at the expense of the Parthians, while Carthage struggled to gain any foothold in the West. Rome consolidated early on Turn 3, but also struggled to expand their empire. I think the Gallia and Cisalpina penalty in the first ten turns affected the expansion in this area of the map.

The revolts certainly had an interestng impact, delaying empire expansion. I was also surprised at how many failed campaigns there were. Maybe it was just my dice rolling!

At the halfway stage (Turn 10), Macedon controlled 9 territories, Rome and Carthage 6 each, and Parthia was down to 3.

Hannibal had only a marginally successful campaign, struggling in Gallia, and failing in Italia.

Needless to say, the Romans expanded well under Scipio, eventually taking Africa and Carthage out of the picture.

Meanwhile, over in the East, Macedon and Parthia slugged it out over Mesopotamia and Persia, but the number of failed campaigns did have me wondering if there was anything wrong with my dice :-)

And so it came to the final turn. Rome was dealt a blow when Sicilia revolted, and then failed its campaign against Macedonia from Graecia. Macedon pulled ahead at the last with a campaign victory in Graecia, throwing out the Romans.

Final scores:
Macedon 19
Carthage 18
Parthia 17
Rome 16

A very interesting simulation. I look forward my next session. Of course, I also look forward to being able to re-enact some of the campaign battles with the Lost Battles system when the new boardgame is released with the revised Empire game too later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.