Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: London [+] Variant:-2P [+] [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
EndersGame wrote:
2. Whenever you expend a card that forces a row to be cleared in the general card display, you place a neutral marker of a third colour in a city borough of your choice, and immediately draw and discard from the draw deck the number of cards given by that borough.

Thank you.

I'm sorry if I'm being pedantic, but the way Rule 2 is written, it seems that you can place a neutral marker anywhere on the board.
Whereas I had assumed (and suspect that it is the case), that the borough must be empty and normal adjacency rules must apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
EndersGame wrote:
2. Whenever you expend a card that forces a row to be cleared in the general card display, you place a neutral marker of a third colour in a city borough of your choice, and immediately draw and discard from the draw deck the number of cards given by that borough.

Thank you.

I'm sorry if I'm being pedantic, but the way Rule 2 is written, it seems that you can place a neutral marker anywhere on the board.
Whereas I had assumed (and suspect that it is the case), that normal adjacency rules must apply.

I don't think there's anything that contravene's the existing rules, so everything else should be seen to apply (as it does). When these rules come from a separate source I see how the added potential for confusion exists, but if these were part ofthe normal rules, then I doubt anyone would doubt that adjacency etc. still applies. It doesn't say you can't place it in an area that's already occupied, but that's also a logical given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
I'm therefore wondering if the rules for it have ever been set out anywhere? I mean in formal unambiguous rules language, rather than in a describing sort of way as above.

I thought it *was* worded that way when I originally wrote it.

I think there's one addition that's needed, what to do when you flush the card display after you've already built all 20 districts. This can happen if the players are aggressive early purchasers.

In that case, we discard 4 cards from the deck, even though we can't build a district. 4 cards is the average of all the districts (11 are 4 or 5, 9 are 3 or 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
I'm therefore wondering if the rules for it have ever been set out anywhere? I mean in formal unambiguous rules language, rather than in a describing sort of way as above.

I thought it *was* worded that way when I originally wrote it.

I think there's one addition that's needed, what to do when you flush the card display after you've already built all 20 districts. This can happen if the players are aggressive early purchasers.

In that case, we discard 4 cards from the deck, even though we can't build a district. 4 cards is the average of all the districts (11 are 4 or 5, 9 are 3 or 2).
I don't see the logic there. When we play if we want more cards, we buy a district. When there are no districts left, we finally take the draw 3 cards action. So why wouldn't the natural thing be to draw 3, inline with the existing rules as closely as possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highland Cow wrote:
EndersGame wrote:
Whereas I had assumed (and suspect that it is the case), that the borough must be empty and normal adjacency rules must apply.
How about amending it to this: "you place a neutral marker of a third colour in a vacant city borough of your choice, following the normal adjacency rules"?

It's been a while since I've played, but I don't recall enforcing the adjacency rules for placement of the neutral marker when we played the variant. That could be an oversight on our part, because Luca's original suggestion does mention it, as have others in this thread. So it probably is the intent of this variant - is that how everyone has been playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For adjacency, yes the intent was always to follow the original rules as if a third player was building. If the neutral builds before any humans, then one of the starting boroughs must be chosen, etc.

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I don't see the logic there. When we play if we want more cards, we buy a district. When there are no districts left, we finally take the draw 3 cards action. So why wouldn't the natural thing be to draw 3, inline with the existing rules as closely as possible?

Sure, that works too. I was previously asked to come up with a number, so had based it on what had been happening throughout the game while boroughs were still available, to make the number reasonable and consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game, do you start with more poverty cubes? If yes, how many do you start with? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
judoka wrote:
In a 2 player game, do you start with more poverty cubes? If yes, how many do you start with? Thanks!
Same as normal Judit. The only rule changes in the Ben-Zen-Luca variant are these:
Ben-Zen-Luca variant wrote:
1. No face up duplicate buildings are allowed in your own city building display.
2. Whenever you expend a card that forces a row to be cleared in the general card display, you place a neutral marker of a third colour in a vacant city borough of your choice, following the normal adjacency rules, and immediately draw and discard from the draw deck the number of cards given by that borough. (Draw and discard four cards if all boroughs are already claimed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yes, I knew of the variant, but I was wondering if anyone starts with more poverty cubes, like a house rule, and if yes, with how many. To make the game more tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |