Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing all the geeklist about thriftstores, I was wondering if there are any in Australia, namely in Brisbane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
None that Ive ever found.

I guess you could hit garage sales but your more likely to find monopoloy or squatter with the board missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Cash Converters all over the place: http://www.cashconverters.com.au/
Sometimes they have games. I got a Trivial Pursuit for AU$10 once.

You can also try local 2nd-hand market or toy fairs, they would be advertised in the local papers... Or garage sale, but there's less chance of finding games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallen McInerney
Australia
Kingscliff
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently on vacation in Australia (Briz,Cairns,Tweed River) and I saw quite a few games in Lifeline and Salvo's stores. St Vinnie's was hit and miss. Not the greatest selection of games but not much worse than what I come across over here in the US. I just missed out on Knizia's LOTR at a life line in Cairns so the gems do exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
There are heaps, just look in the white pages for St Vincent de Paul and Lifeline. There is an RSPCA Thrift Store at Strathpine, and a Salvation Army shop at Bracken Ridge. There are also secondhand shops out in the suburbs. Usually they will have one or two games, but often they will be complete rubbish. The best full-price games store in Brisbane is Presents of Mind, but the two Mind Games stores are pretty decent as well.

Friendless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melbourne:

St Vincent's, Salvation Army have thrift stores all over the place. Alot in the inner city.
There are several other small charities (Yooralla, etc) that have store too.

On the commercial side, Cash Converters has not been good for board games.
Savers is a good place for games (Got Space Crusade, Heroquest and some other gems there) for cheap.

It's all about being at the right place and the right time!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a good game in an op shop.

School fetes are a good place to try. There's a wargamer (or at least an ex-wargamer) at Biggie's school; we saw a copy of The Russian Campaign on the games table last year. Sadly, whoever it is must be hoarding their Euros meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, try Flea Markets as well. I got Escape from Colditz pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Code 777 for $2 from an op. shop in South Yarra was my claim to fame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
There are heaps, just look in the white pages for St Vincent de Paul and Lifeline. There is an RSPCA Thrift Store at Strathpine, and a Salvation Army shop at Bracken Ridge. There are also secondhand shops out in the suburbs. Usually they will have one or two games, but often they will be complete rubbish. The best full-price games store in Brisbane is Presents of Mind, but the two Mind Games stores are pretty decent as well.

Friendless
Strathpine and Bracken Ridge - why are these things always way out on the North or South side?

I've never heard of Presents of Mind - where is that? I'll have to take a look when I'm Home Sweet Home in a few weeks.

Edit:
Wait a minute - found a link but there is no actual web page. Right in Paddington - I'll need to take a look. It looks from the brief description as though it is more along the gifts/jigsaw/"craft" games line. Is there much in the way of euro- or wargames?

Also, don't forget Napoleons on George St in the city and that shop in Ashgrove on Waterworks Road (can't remember the name). Both are a fair bit cheaper than Mind Games in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shops-wise, i like Ace's Comics and Games very much. it's above Hungry Jack's, at Queen St Mall. a good selection of comics, rpgs, and some boardgames. and they'll bring in whatever you want, if you ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Strathpine and Bracken Ridge - why are these things always way out on the North or South side?
I live way out on the North side, so that's the ones I know about. There is a Vinnie's in Brunswick St, the Valley, but they had no games anyway so you don't have to run the gauntlet of the glue sniffers.

Quote:
gifts/jigsaw/"craft" games line
Yes, but they have one rack of games including San Juan and Bohnanza, Alhambra, TtR. Mind Games now stock Bohnanza and Citadels, as well, so they are catching up. Wizz Kids at Mango Hill had San Juan as well.

The shop at Ashgrove you are thinking of is Brisbane On-line Games, they do not stock Euros. I think Napoleons has closed down. Mind Games is not cheap, but as I work in the city, they are most convenient for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had any luck at thrift stores. Garage sales I have seen some mouldy games that I wouldn't even touch. And I did see some games once at church fete. You should also try those stores that carry antique/bric a brac although the best I have seen there is Squatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls