Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading up there this weekend to visit some friends, and I'd love to know if there are any stores worth hitting. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb

I got these from Rio Grande's website but I don't know how up-to-date the info is. I think the Connecticut Game Club meets once or twice a month in Manchester (at Father's & Son's?) but I don't know exactly when.

War and Pieces
7 South Main St.
West Hartford Connecticut 06107
phone: (860) 232-0608

Dragon's Lair
1144 New Britain Avenue
West Hartford Connecticut
phone: (860) 231-1915
http://www.dragonslaironline.com

Fathers & Sons Hobby Shop
149 West Middle Turpike
Manchester Connecticut 06040
phone: (860) 643-8834
FathersnSonHobby@aol.com

Time Machine Hobby
71 Hilliard St
Manchester,CT 06040
phone: (860) 646-0610

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, you are a man among men. Thank you And you write amazing stuff, to boot. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also play Jingle Bells on the harmonica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sad to report the proprietor of Fathers and Sons Hobby shop in Manchester, Gary Stagliano passed away two years ago. His shop subsequently was closed. The others on the list are in business as well as:

The Time Machine, purportedly the largest hobby shop in New England. May be true since it takes up an entire factory building and is worth going to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blastpop wrote:
The Time Machine, purportedly the largest hobby shop in New England. May be true since it takes up an entire factory building and is worth going to.

And here they are: http://www.timemachinehobby.com/

Apparently their game night is Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Amatos Toy and Hobbies
Hi Melantha,

There is a really neat toy and hobby shop called Amatos located in both Middletown and New Britain. I've never been to the New Britain location before but you could spend an hour or two just poking around the Middletown shop. Lots of games, trains, and assorted RPG stuff, miniatures, cards.... Not the kind of mindless mass produced stuff that you commonoly find at Toys R' Us either.

Every now-and-then you can even find a good deal on a couple of items but be warned: you are entering Connecticut...No matter where you shop, this is the land of high prices and high taxes. arrrh You might find a better deal shopping at FAO Schwartz.

http://www.hobbysurplus.com/AmatosToyAndHobby.htm

Festivus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit of a haul, but the Citadel in New London ( about a mile off Route 95 ) used to be a pretty good shop . He used to sell a fair amount of used stuff, but that was back in the pre-Ebay era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks. I am going to check out a couple of these. I know the chances of finding a real treasure are slim, but you never know! I really appreciate all your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amatos is just a touch out of my way up there, so I'll be stopping on the way on Friday. The ones in West Hartford are going to get hit on Saturday, I think. Between them, and going to the Book Barn in Niantic, guarantees that my pockets will contain nothing but moths for months to come. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the Book Barn is the place to go! I was just there last month. My wife and I came home with two large tote bags worth of hardbacks for a little over $100. The books were in new condition from great authors too.

Better set aside at least an hour or three to browse all of the book houses on the site.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. I've been there once before, and it was great. I love Tudor history (gee, can ya tell?) and I'm always looking for titles I haven't seen before. I better get to the bank today; I'll have no money ready otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls