1 , 2  Next »   | 

Forbidden Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Traitor Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Hello. I'm the designer of the mysterious "Traitor" variant that I've noticed a lot of people asking about already. I had no idea that there would be this much interest. So I finally decided to create an official topic explaining it being that I just got around to trying it out myself.

How we played:
Every player still picks an initial role that is public (traitor removed from role deck). Afterwards, get together role cards equal to the number of players and add the traitor card. Everyone secretly chooses a 2nd role card but DOES NOT REVEAL. If you chose the Traitor role, you are now the traitor, otherwise ignore it. There may not be a traitor at all.

Play is the same with the team trying to get all of the treasures off the island. At any point the traitor can reveal himself. Once he does this, he then has the option of drawing from the traitor deck in addition to the treasure deck, but he still can only have 5 cards max in his hand. We played that it was optional for the traitor to reveal these cards to the group. The traitor deck has 7 cards total - 5 guns, 1 dynamite, and 1 escape plane. Like treasure cards, the traitor must have 4 gun cards in order to use them. He can only use these cards once the group has found ALL 4 treasures. He can play them on his turn for an action anywhere on the map. At this point, he needs to escape the island but only using his "Escape Plane" card on Fools' Landing.

Meanwhile, the remaining survivors that AREN'T the traitor are trying to escape with the treasure need to do the same as always, with an helicopter lift off of Fools' Landing. If they do it before they Traitor, then they win. If the Traitor gets away first, he wins. If the island sinks, everybody loses.

My group played this once, and a couple things came up. First, there has to be a restriction on the dynamite card (removes a tile from the map). We decided it can't be used on Fools' Landing. This prevents a spiteful Traitor from ending the game when he knows he can't win (this happened). Second, the Traitor drawing from the Traitor deck means that you don't have to worry about Waters Rise. We considered having the Traitor draw a card from the Treasure deck for every Traitor card he grabs. If it is Waters Rise, then play it and return a Traitor card. If it is anything else, replace it to the top of the Treasure Deck.

Still some kinks to work out but definitely has legs. It was funny how everyone resented the Traitor once he presented himself knowing you still had to work with him despite his devious intentions.

So... that's all I have for now. Questions? Comments? Has anyone that ordered the deck tried this variant yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sounds fun. I wanna get the Artscow deck now just so I can get the opportunity to say, Jimmy Walker style, "DYNOMIIIITE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my Artscow cards today. Looks nice! Postage took 3.5 weeks frmo Hong Kong to New Zealand.

Thanks for the traitor rules (above). I guess the rules for the variant layouts and addition roles are all self explanatory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I got my Artscow cards today. Looks nice! Postage took 3.5 weeks frmo Hong Kong to New Zealand.

Thanks for the traitor rules (above). I guess the rules for the variant layouts and addition roles are all self explanatory?

I think so. The only other optional Treasure variant that I considered but haven't tried yet is to count the 4 treasure cards as an attempt to get one FINAL treasure. In other words, you have to have one player hold all 4 treasure cards (5 card limit still applies) before capturing the 5th and final treasure and then leave the island. This should definitely add some difficulty to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the extra treasure card meant to be shuffles into the deck normal treasure deck? I'm only asking because the backs are of a different colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Brichs wrote:
Are the extra treasure card meant to be shuffles into the deck normal treasure deck? I'm only asking because the backs are of a different colour.

No. Keep them separate and just grab the one that corresponds with the treasure you collected. Alternately you could grab one at random if you want to mix up which power you get as you collect treasures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the guns do?

What do the special treasure cards do?

Have you considered creating a separate page for this unofficial pnp expansion? I think it would work. You might need to see what the publisher think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
What do the guns do?

Ok, let's see if I can figure it out...

Special treasures: Set these aside, face up. When a player hands in 4 normal treasure cards and collects a treasure, they also get the corresponding special treasure card. This counts towards the 5 card hand limit. This can then be discarded (along with a treasure card of that same type) for a special action, as detailed on the special treasure card:
The earth stone = shore up any 1 tile.
The crystal of fire = pass a card from any player to any other player.
The ocean's chalice = draw 2 less flood cards this turn.
Statue of the wind = fly any 1 player to any tile.

Guns: These are shuffled into the traitor deck with the Dynamite and Escape Plane. Once the traitor has revealed themself, they may draw from the traitor deck instead of the treasure deck. They still have a 5 card hand limit. After all 4 treasures have been obtained, the traitor may play 4 guns for one action. Then they race to escape the island before the others, using the Escape Plane at Fool's Landing.

Does that sound right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Yes. I think you got it. However, remember that the Traitor can still choose to draw from the Treasure deck if he/she prefers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the purpose of the 4 guns? does this steal the 4 treasures from the other players? If so, can they get it back? what happens if he steals the treasures from the other players but cannot get off the island? I guess we need more clarification on what the gun cards do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
Keep in mind that I rushed these cards to get the sale on artscow so not all of the rules are ironed out. The way I see it, the treasures are sort of in limbo after the guns are played. Nobody actually owns them yet. After the guns are played, either the survivors OR the traitor can leave the island and whoever does it first, wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:

manukajoe wrote:

I always just assumed they were inspired by (and meant to be used with) this...

Treasure Powers

I also like to combine it with this...

Vanishing Treasure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Where might I find a link to the traitor variant on Artscow.com?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
Where might I find a link to the traitor variant on Artscow.com?

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/Forbidden-Island-Variant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
i just recieved my artscow copy.
i still dont understand something. according to the rules:
"Afterwards, get together role cards equal to the number of players and add the traitor card. Everyone secretly chooses a 2nd role card but DOES NOT REVEAL."
1) do the players keep the second role card to themselves? if 4 people are playing and the third player doesn't see the traitor role, he'll know that one of the two players before him are traitors. he can tell it to the other players, cant he?
if you dont take the second role card to your hand, 2 players can become the tratiors.
2) if i am the traitor, how do i keep the others from not knowing that very quickly? suppose they know that my first role is the pilot , they'll wanna know in the first couple of turns, why i dont use my second role. do i lie about it and say for example that i am the diver?
3) when using 4 guns- what actions can i take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
johnwoo wrote:

1) do the players keep the second role card to themselves? if 4 people are playing and the third player doesn't see the traitor role, he'll know that one of the two players before him are traitors. he can tell it to the other players, cant he?
if you dont take the second role card to your hand, 2 players can become the tratiors.

Nobody reveals their second role. This part is there just to determine who, if anyone, will be the traitor. You aren't allowed to show other people your second role card. You could say "Well, I'm not the traitor", but would anybody believe you? Claiming that one of the other guys is the traitor is part of the fun. There is suspicion throughout the beginning of the game.

If it is a 4 player game, everyone is actually choosing from 5 roles (4 normal roles and 1 traitor). There will be one leftover card. It's possible that NOBODY is the traitor.

johnwoo wrote:

2) if i am the traitor, how do i keep the others from not knowing that very quickly? suppose they know that my first role is the pilot , they'll wanna know in the first couple of turns, why i dont use my second role. do i lie about it and say for example that i am the diver?

As I said before, the second role isn't used by anyone EXCEPT the traitor when it is revealed. Nobody will expect anyone to use the hidden second role because they aren't allowed to.

johnwoo wrote:
3) when using 4 guns- what actions can i take?

The 4 guns just indicate that the traitor now has access to the treasure. It is a race to who can get off the island first at this point!

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you can take a number of role cards equal to the number of players x 2 and add in the traitor card. Then shuffle and deal two cards to every player. The players then look at both cards and choose which character card to use during the game. Whichever card is not used is played face down and hidden underneath the role card that was chosen. The exception of course is for the person that was dealt the traitor card (if there was one). In that case, the player would automatically turn the traitor card face down and would turn the second role card face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
talusproteus wrote:
Alternatively, you can take a number of role cards equal to the number of players x 2 and add in the traitor card. Then shuffle and deal two cards to every player. The players then look at both cards and choose which character card to use during the game. Whichever card is not used is played face down and hidden underneath the role card that was chosen. The exception of course is for the person that was dealt the traitor card (if there was one). In that case, the player would automatically turn the traitor card face down and would turn the second role card face up.

That's a great idea! Basically the traitor gets stuck with the other role. You'll have to be a quick thinker when the others ask you what role you decided not to use though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyRIT wrote:
talusproteus wrote:

That's a great idea! Basically the traitor gets stuck with the other role. You'll have to be a quick thinker when the others ask you what role you decided not to use though!

Just smile and say, "the traitor, of course." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyRIT wrote:
talusproteus wrote:

I think there'd have to be a rule that you CAN'T ask people about the role they didn't use. Otherwise the traitor could give themselves away too easily, by naming a role that another player didn't use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
CoreyRIT wrote:
talusproteus wrote:

I think there'd have to be a rule that you CAN'T ask people about the role they didn't use. Otherwise the traitor could give themselves away too easily, by naming a role that another player didn't use.

Yeah, that's what you'd expect. Otherwise, you'd have to risk lying and naming a role that someone else has.

On the other hand, you could just wait till someone else says which role they didn't pick and then you say, "Hey, wait a second...that's the role I didn't pick. You must be lying, traitor!"

Of course, that would turn Forbidden Island into Battlestar Galactica/The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozzy Padilla
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any reason the "official" variant island cards made by pHrOsT and the treasure cards made by Grudunza didn't get used? Did they just abandon their input into the project? Not to say that the designs on artscow are bad, but I was kinda liking what the others had already done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Ronin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to get the higher-res artwork both for this deck and the challenge deck in order to combine them while probably removing some of the role cards or printing a larger deck, I am still not sure.

Just got the game last night and played both sides of a 2 player game on legendary. I lost of course, but it quickly taught me the mechanics of the game and it was definitely fun. I started so high since I was hoping for a short game, and although I got to 3 of the 4 treasures, I had not shored up enough tiles and got caught with having to reshuffle the treasure deck in order to get enough cards for the 4th treasure when I got hit with waters rise. At that point, I had only bothered to save the tiles I thought I would care about, not yet realizing that all I did was put the focus on the tiles that DID remain and that ended up screwing me over. I love the game so far though, and can't wait to play it with some friends. :-)

Again, if anyone has access to the original/hi-res artowrk for this deck and/or the challenge deck, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Saint Ronin

P.S. Also posted in the challenge deck thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mongiardo
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did this ever go anywhere?

i.e. the Hi-Res cards that seemed almost complete but then disappeared?

jmreg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.